This Housing Strategy

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Balenor, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balenor

Balenor Avatar

I've always been into small, well placed homes in Ultima Online. Right now, I have a little house near a moongate in UO. It's like a 8x8 but it's really awesome. I don't need a huge place.

I notice they are selling Row Lot Property Deeds. I'm thinking there's no way I'm going to get a priority placement for any of the larger homes in a populated city. While everyone else is using their pledge priority to get bigger spots, I can use my purchased Row Lot Property deed to get a good location.

I'm thinking the odds of me getting a well place Row Lot is much better than any other type of well placed home. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Krohon likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

unless you are pledged for a row lot I don't see you having any chance :-( The one you pay $ for that are not tax free are not on the placing list, An di am afraid they will all be taken because as you stated "in a good location"

3. Balenor

Balenor Avatar

SO, towns like "Andoris" are going to be sold out? Does the reasoning of people going after large lots first make any sense? What pledge level would I need to buy?

4. Balenor

Balenor Avatar

I just have to point this out because the lots in the add on section are in the priority list:

If you purchase your Row Lot Property Deed through the Add-On Store, you will have lot placement priority over everyone else that waits until SotA launches before they purchase a property deed.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you purchase one of them but NOT as a pledge reward you are the LAST set of people to lace your house, you need to go read all the posts about house and lot selection :)

There is ALOT of information out there about exactly what you are thinking about :)

I would NOT spend $ on a row lot deed, you are much better off upgrading your pledge to get a tax free one and then at least get in for placement before those who do not have a house with their pledge.

HoustonDragon likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If you check out the numbers then you will see that thee are fewer Row deed owners than there are village deeds.
    Meaning that when designing the world there will be fewer total row lots placed.

Also note that one is allowed in the land/lot rush to claim a lot smaller than the deed.

So there will be very many village deed owners running around looking for placement. Many of those will not find village lots in central locations and will instead claim row lots.
    Which hadn't been a problem if there had been many of them but since row are so outnumbered by village then it will have an impact.

Then if you buy in the addon store you get to place in the last group where all with secondary accounts places as well.
    While the pledges with row deeds go in groups before that.

Mitigating is that most row lots are placed in bigger NPC towns and cities.

This means that the chances for a great location is nil. But the chances of an OK placement is decent.

Leelu and HoustonDragon like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Don't worry Balenor, come to Wizards Rest. We will let you place there. The NPC towns may perhaps be difficult but player owned towns will have spaces for people. Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar Balenor. I am majoria in game and I would be happy to help you if I can.

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I wouldn't bother to buy a pledge just to get a better lot. To get what is currently considered one of the best lots you would have to pledge thousands of dollars :)

I am in the same position as you - I have an add-on store row lot and an Ancestor pledge tax-free row lot. When the land rush begins, I have no expectations of being able to place my tax-free lot where it is now (in Ardoris in a great location). Maybe I would be able to get a lot on the outskirts of Ardoris, but I doubt even that.

But don't despair!

Currently there are too few row lots in game and when village lot deed owners (and above) start claiming the best row lots, even more row lots will be needed to accommodate all row lot deed holders. This sounds terrible, but it only means that more row lots will have to be added to the game. If we disregard Player-Owned-Towns (POTs), currently row lots are only available in the large NPC towns (Ardoris, Owl's Head, Solania, Kingsport, Aerie, etc.). The smaller PRTs (Player-Run-Towns), which are residential areas not owned by players, don't contain row lots at present. But the Devs have already confirmed that not only will many PRTs be added to the game (in addition to the larger NPC towns not yet in-game), they will also be larger and be more town-like. They will have to contain row lots. Even though these PRTs are not part of the main story line, I believe they will end up being coveted places to live. Currently, if you want to live in a non-POT in the Hidden Vale, there are only three attractive choices: Owl's Head, Kingsport and Braemar (in that order). In their current state, PRTs like Holtrot and Kingswood are attractive only because of their geographical location. Once the PRTs are upgraded with a town center, merchants and public crafting areas, they will only be marginally less attractive than the aforementioned towns to live in.

Another thing to consider: Currently, the worst place to live is in the northern part of the continent because there is NOTHING there. The sole exception is the Graff Gem mine. This will change, too, and depending on what adventuring areas and towns are added to the game, this region will attract more players as well, lessening the status of the Hidden Vale as the best place to live and freeing up some lots there.

Some people (like myself) are avoiding the uncertainty of the land rush by shopping around for an attractive lot in a Player-Owned-Town. The important thing for a player going down this route is to make an informed decision: know the owner (at least by reputation), know other people who are living there, know the concept behind the town and conditions of living in the town. If you think you are a good fit and want to live in a community of like-minded individuals who are pulling together to make the town attractive for outsiders to visit, a POT is a good choice. If you reject the idea of living in a POT, there will still be a sufficient number of good places for you to place your row lot.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Cianna and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Every deed in game will get a lot. +30% space over every lot stood for hard cash.
    You will get a nice spot.
    It might not be Adoris central but the worst thing that can happen is that you will have to walk full 20 seconds from the next npc town to the hub of your choice.

10. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

This smells so much like pay2win, of course SOTA has such a bad reputation among gamers. They worked hard for it.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I have show in another post how it will be very possible that all the row lots, since they are in the NPC cities might get taken up and not one Dev has addressed this issue, I think they are afraid to.

The numbers alone say that there are some of the last to place - none pledge row houses - will not have row lots avail. Sorry. Now I am sure they will make adjustments when the time comes to make sure you will be able to place, but you could end up on the north east shore next to the coast east from the Gaff Gem mines.

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I agree with this, and made post after post trying to get someone on the dev team to acknowledge this, but the only thing they would say is that they are making much bigger PRTs that will also have a small Marketplace area.

In other words, too bad.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Ice Queen likes this.
  13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I think we're going to have to wait and see how it all pans out. They've said they're adding more lots for folks; will it be in prime real estate locations? Probably not. The early backers will get the priority dibs on placement, and that's been pretty well established from the get-go. My only real issue is to be sure that there will be plenty of space in PRTs and NPC towns, and not force players into POTs against their wills. If the only land left over would be forced to be under the control of another player, that would be a serious breach of trust to me.

Krohon likes this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

From the information provided in the Postmortem stream, it seems that current thinking of the devs is to provide PRTs that are based on POT biomes, and have an NPC vendor area.
    These biomes are much larger than the previous PRTs that we are used to, and could prove quite attractive. There is no reason why they couldn't have row houses as part of the mix.

15. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Define "better", please. If you mean a good place for selling stuff, I agree. While the devs stated they will create more than enough house locations for everone (at the time of the land rush), and many people will opt for their guild towns and POTs, prime locations get claimed impossible fast. I have participate on a few wipes already and it seems there is no way to get top locations... yet second choice locations are accessible and very good places anyway.

Concur.

Yep.

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

One thing that people keep forgetting when going on long rants about this is there are still a lot of NPC cities that will be added before Final Wipe. For instance, Brittany, which just from the size of its graphics on the overworld map, will probably be of similar size to Ardoris, if not larger.

Maybe part of the reason people forget this is that there is a sort of tunnel vision about Owl's Head. It may have been the first big city placed, but it doesn't seem to be the focus of any of the three Ep1 story lines.

17. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Trust me dont go there there .They live in the cold. dont know why.must be mad .don't even get me started on the snow and horrible wind keep you awake all night. :p

Dirk Hammerstrike and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.