Cash Grab Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Pay 2 Win, and off topic.

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

@Lum, did you not have some special advice for people who did not enjoy questing and storyline?

3. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Yeah, you'll be waiting and don't hold your breath, because the game will have less "game" than Ultima 7 20 years ago. New cash shop items need all the dev resources and that has priority.
    That's the impression I took away from playing this for 3 releases so far.
    Only 3 months you say and sure, that's not a lot. But what you could achieve in 3 months of focused development versus what they really did shows clearly which direction this ship is sailing.
    Then you read that Eurogamer interview and RG wipes away all the illusions you might have had that this will really be much more than a slimmed down version of an Ultima game, attached to a much bigger simulation of real estate market, where players will trot down the street displaying their rare items or expensive cash shop stuff.

And that's the point that disappointed me.
    But really, there's games out there I can play, so it's okay. I can just show up from time to time to check progress and play when I want, or not. But I paid for access already, so I might as well use that option, right?

Ice Queen and Fister Magee like this.
  4. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Wat?
    What parts of Shards Online would be pay to win? They don't even have a cash shop.

Smitty and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Still, off topic, and as true a statement as the OP. :p

Womby and kazeandi like this.
  6. Balenor

Balenor Avatar

I'm sorry, how do you define "pay to win."

7. Balenor

Balenor Avatar

Prove your point please. Saying, "ZONG! It's pay to win" isn't making an argument.

Laurana, Womby and Fister Magee like this.
  8. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

I made an argument, Balenor. How about quoting me and arguing against it?

Because you're just trolling.
    That's fine, too, I guess. After all, posting rights here can be bought for 5$ from the cash shop.

:p

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

BTW, I totally agree with you kazeandi... the online store has been an annoyance to me as well, watching thing after thing be developed and added to the game.. but it hasn't bothered me because it was pay to play (it's NOT pay2play, really it is only cosmetic items, maybe worth some in game gold pieces.. but good luck getting rich off your addon store items), which means it gives an advantage over others in game (again, it's not).. not just visual candy (that's all it is), what upsets me about the online store is that they aren't developing the world or story.. but they are. So there's that. I've been here for a long time, and have come to realize that the addon store is somehow part of the process, and it might be slowing down the main game, but it is certainly not giving anyone an unfair advantage over my avatar. Just slowing down the single player game..

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

11. Selene

Selene Avatar

Honestly, from the title alone, this whole thread is a lock and mod waiting to happen.

12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Cash grab? Yes. :)
    Pay to win? No.

That is all from me.

Womby, KuBaTRiZeS and Ice Queen like this.
  13. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

The thing is, the stuff they put up on the cash shop ARE more than just vanity and Richard Garriott states himself that this is indeed the case and intended, in the Eurogamer interview.
    He says that you can buy some plot online then sell it for ingame money then use that to purchase items, too, they only try to hinder accounts from being traded (and that too only to prevent money laundering in real life).

You should read the interview, it's really interesting and helped me understand a great deal what's going on and why.

Smitty likes this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I did, and knew this was the way it was for a while.. limiting the plots for sale is part of that process. Kinda like real life, limited land. Were you interested in plot ownership or does plot ownership mean 'winning' in your eyes?

15. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

What pay to win store are you talking about? Also, how in the heck do you win? As far as I know there is no 1st place in SOTA.

Womby and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Does having 1000000 gold pieces in game make me a millionaire? Seriously tho.. how about 10M, 100M? Even if I sell my Virtue furry hat for all the gold, I don't see how that will let me beat all the pvpers and kill the dragon.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

AAAaaaaaannnnd... the OPer is gone :) I knew it.. trolls bug me and they like it :)

Kaisa likes this.
  18. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

I was interested in playing an Ultima game, maybe even Ultima Online, where housing is part of the game and not its center. Playing interesting templates, playing with guilds or friends is what I intended to do. Not "farming cash" in real life to buy new features for my house or little flappy wings for my character.

Ya know, all this could even be ignored if you'd just play the game and it'd be interesting standalone. So you can only play it once a month for an hour, but then there's the skill decay, too.
    It's just meh at this poinbt and it'll be interesting to watch where this goes. Till July, when the game will "roll out" and beyond, but not indefinitely, because the next thing will catch my attention and make me busy.
    Know what I mean?

Smitty and Fister Magee like this.
  19. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to knowing how to get 1st place in SOTA. . .LOL.

Womby and Fister Magee like this.
  20. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

What PVPers? Those are long gone. We do have PVP on the forums though, which is priceless, but not for free (costs 5$)^^

Smitty and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.