Add trash on streets (using this method)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatsu., Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Body of death players (gray skeletons) are a low poly models (WITH A LOT OF POLYS)
    and on some scenes (OWLS... DEEP FOREST) there are always a lot of these dead bodies and seems that there is NOT extra-LAG (30 -40 low level models)

WELL.... the high number of polys used on these bodies can be easily converted to HALF POLYS without losing much

the HALF POLYS can be used to make the TRASH...

HOW TO MANAGE THE TRASH?
    on the same way of dead bodies.... CAN'T BE TOUCHED... this is JUST trash, and can't be picked up.

WHEN A PLAYER OPENS HIS BAG place a random item (this is just trash) from 4 o 5 VERY LOW poly items (a paper... wood stick.... small wood piece... a small metal foil) near the player with random rotation and random coordinates in a small circle around player. (NOT ON HOUSES) maximum number of created trash is 5. (or if is not possible to add this new variable to players, add a rand() % 3 to trash creation.. or something like that

i love to see GUSTBALLS and DEAD BODIES on scenes.. this looks a little more realistic

the disappearing routine must be the same of dead bodies.. nothing new to write.

(add horses/pigs/cows poo? add torn materials when 2 players are fighting?)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

Not sure I understand why you would want to :trash: up the areas? On top of that what happens when you get a bunch of players in an area opening and closing their inventory? If I am following what you said that is. I myself would not like to see trash laying all over the place. On top of that it just adds more work loads tot he Devs, who have enough on their plates as is.
    Not trying to be a killjoy :p

HairballHacker and Womby like this.
  3. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I'd say: give us the ability to drop anything on the ground, and the streets will be full of rubbish within minutes! ;)

4. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

LOL!

5. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I like the idea of having designated "parks" in cities. Places where you can drop whatever you like on the ground (with the risk of someone else stealing it) ... you could set up a picnic by a nice tree in public for example.

6. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I think in general its a good idea. of course with some restrictions but I am sure the devs can handle that part. Who knows perhaps it already planned. but I think would be emersive if done right..

Gatsu. likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Couldn't we just mirror Owl's Head at any given moment? :)

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

Removing polygons on one object to scatter the budget around on other (multiple) game objects isn't a fair performance trade. That's not how 3D (and performance) work. A lot of it is determined by how many objects there are, how many unique verts each object has, what shader they use, etc.

For example: If the corpses are using a shader that is only lit by its own emission, then the amount of polygons the corpses have has very little impact vs a low-poly object that is lit from multiple dynamic lights... especially if you want to scatter more of those low-poly objects.

Even if they were to be shaded the same way, one high-poly object is better than 20 low-poly objects even if the total amount of polygons displayed are equal. Draw calls are done by object.

///

With that said, I completely agree that some litter on the ground as environmental detail would add a lot to the game. In fact, I doubt anyone (even the devs) would disagree on that point. However, it's just not easily feasible (especially not as you claim it to be) even more so if you're asking for them to be dynamically dropped from players.

With a few optimization passes, we might be able to see something similar in the future.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i write some 3D games (without using a 3d Engine but making my own...) and i know that developers understand what i mean... (low poly skeletons are probably LOW POLY because this sort of TRASH can reduce performance) i see some 3+3 vertex textured polys on some scenes to REPLACE real 3d objects (SHIELDS... WEAPONS...) and i think that this type of optimization can be used (and is USED right now)

the TRASH objects, ,dropped down from some sort of manipulation of BAGS... can be just a 3+3 (square object) vertex without any special effect... .PAPER... WOOD... CLOTH .. just dropped sometimes randomly... (trash on the bag) .. i want to see something real on streets

10. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i write some 3D games (without using a 3d Engine but making my own...) and i know that developers understand what i mean... (low poly skeletons are probably LOW POLY because this sort of TRASH can reduce performance) i see some 3+3 vertex textured polys on some scenes to REPLACE real 3d objects (SHIELDS... WEAPONS...) and i think that this type of optimization can be used (and is USED right now)

the TRASH objects, ,dropped down from some sort of manipulation of BAGS... can be just a 3+3 (square object) vertex without any special effect... .PAPER... WOOD... CLOTH .. just dropped sometimes randomly... (trash on the bag) .. .. and i want to see something ELSE on street like REAL OBJECTS, but seems that this feature will do on OFFLINE MODE (who use offline mode?)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  11. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

How about leaving footprints in dirt path when it's raining?

Grass that can be stomped down as to leave a trail of passage.

Realistic swaying of grass, not the perpetual motion as is currently simulated.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I feel like it's time to rename "gustball" to "ball"

13. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Nice IDEA!

14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Thanks Gatsu, I like your idea for leaving trash too.

Also the poo idea lol... could be useful for tracking down that dragon that is hiding in the area somewhere ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.