Breast Cancer charity Event - A simple question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malakie, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

@dallas

So much class. Thanks for taking the time.

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

It's your opinion, and has value. Especially, when dealing with emotional issues, it's always going to be different reactions for everyone across the board. For myself, I will gladly spend the extra on the Breast Cancer issue, since I have survivors in my family, and my grandmother went though a double masectomy in her later years.

There is nothing wrong (and should be applauded) with players wanting to host events to raise awareness, or when the developers make the effort to promote special events. I will speak out and state that shaming anyone about it would be wrong; if you don't support the issue, then don't donate, but do not make it into personal squabbles, or the message ends up derailed.

There are several worthy causes especially dealing with veterans care, if you feel strongly about it. You can contact your local VA or even check your area for programs that assist disabled and homeless veterans to donate and/or volunteer. It does make a difference speaking from my own experiences.

I applaud and appreciate Portalarium putting forth their efforts as they have so far, and was happy to support it.

Gaelis and Flientje Vantmeeden like this.
  3. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Please follow Malakie's request to stay on topic and avoid the emotionally-charged politics of war, etc. I've edited or deleted a few comments that were inflammatory. Those of you that have already made your opinion clear about this topic, please do not keep re-posting your opinion.

We are always open to considering any charity or foundation that any member of our community brings to our attention. As I said earlier, we have lots and lots of charities that we've been asked to support with in-game materials and we review each and every suggestion. The OP, as well as additional comments from others, have indicated the desire to raise funds for veterans of wars. As I have pointed out, we at Portalarium lean toward directly supporting causes that are global in nature and (mostly) the result of natural maladies. Let me be clear that we do not plan to change this policy any time soon. If anyone on this thread wishes to debate that decision with us, then please send me a private message and we will continue the conversation.

In the meantime, we have over 60,000 backers that are welcome to use the virtual world of Shroud of the Avatar to raise funds for the charity/cause of their choice.

dallas

Atogrim, Hazard, 4EverLost and 13 others like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thanks I really appreciate that kind of reply because it dosen't paint me or my motivations in a overly simplified way.

You start exactly by explaining what I intend, to build a bridge. For that it is important not to generalize, some people will receive proper care and family support during their illness and some are just "left out" by the system. I personally donate to charities that directly help the people that need it most, it dosen't matter if its very local like for example portalarium could chose a texas breast cancer charity that goes directly in the streets and help people with those issues that have no support.

It is indeed only a matter of opinion and for this fact the honorable thing to do is to offer the choice to the players who are indirectly solicited by this matter.

You can bring the attention to the general issue by doing the ice bucket challenge or any other type of item in game, but also give the choice to do some real difference, directly in the present moment.

You see I am far from feeling that the charity is a bad thing, and I'm millions of miles away from shame ; there is no such thing going on in my mind. Personal squabbles, please be my guest but its become a "thing" on the internet. When a corporation wants to be fair it must be transparent and offer the choice.

Realise all I'm asking for here is a 10$ medal for veterans that serves an anchor in game for me to be able to participate to this matter. Once I'm allowed to participate, I'll give to all things that are brought to our attention, naturally, because thats what roleplaying the avatar means.

I'm supposed to roleplay a knight ain't I ? Is it wrong to want that the "royal new britannian guard" means something, and that I can beleive in the story because I know the game is following a fair architecture ? If you recall, I perfectly understand this is not portalarium's responsibility and am not saying what Mr. Dallas said was inherently wrong. But now it's been brought to our attention, how do we deal with it ?

I understand the politics some wars are wrong and some people are wrong in them (why focus on them to generalize about war)
    When you look at a "cause" you must see the bigger picture (which is that corporations and the world is a freakin jungle),

You must see that you have to offer the choice to the avatar,

That is the truth beyond all this. Some heroes are real and they deserve a just mirror in a game that is based upon principle,
    I hope to see this for all matters of money, for creativity, for burden of responsibility, for marriage and love, the agroculture.

peace be with you all

Bodhbh Dearg and Acred like this.
  5. dallas

Ahuaeynjgkxs, I very much sympathize with the suffering that you and others have endured, and I admire your desire to help others that are experiencing the same pain. You've made your opinion, and your request, clear with multiple posts on this thread. We will take your suggestions under advisement. Please direct any further comments you have on the subject to me in a private message.

Bodhbh Dearg, Mata, Acred and 4 others like this.
  6. dallas

This is a good suggestion. I'll get it done soon...

7. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

@dallas, I've already PM'd @RichardGarriott and @DarkStarr to make a suggestion to do something for veterans earlier... I could add you to that thread, but I'm sure either Richard or Starr has already told you...

Veterans, and esp. those that have been 'on mission', have risked all to help make this world a better place, and fought for freedom, right of free speech and choice of religion (or the lack thereof) ...
    It's not our choice of where we serve(d), that is the politicians' decision, and we all know their decisions are not always... *ahem* ... well founded or well intended...
    Please do not blame *us* for that!

*Salutes all veterans and active serving Avatars*

TEK1 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This thread proves why the best charities are personal and local. There are always many local charities in need that make a difference for people right down the street. We don't need a game or a big company to manage it for us to contribute. Make it personal.

Cheers!

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed, as it wasn't a "need" for any charity, but since it can be part of the story and we're having these other events, I think its a small thing to ask... But as Mr. Dallas said, lets not repeat ourselves, Portalarium will take it under advisement and its useless to justify or relativize on the issue.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  10. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

+1 Everything Malakie posted.

That said, I would prefer Portalarium with its very, very limited resources cast aside these side projects and focus every bit of time and effort into finishing SotA.

HoustonDragon likes this.
  11. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I am fine with these side projects, as long as they do not use a lot of DEV resources... Things like the Shooter Jennings project was mainly non-DEV resources doing this on the side because they care, and don't impact the timeline.

Doing something for veterans (although I'd rather have (at least some of) it NOT be a part of the make a difference store, but limited to actual veterans/active military) doesn't require a lot of work either... A special title, or an in-game order of veterans and active duty 'knights' can build on existing resources, and possibly volunteers, like the Poets Society and the SotACoA do, can be leveraged to help...

I for one would be very willing to vet Dutch veterans on behalf of Portalarium, and help set up a volunteer group (assuming there are enough volunteers to make it work) to do the same worldwide...

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. dallas

Hi @Bodhbh Dearg,

I was added to your PM with Richard & Darkstarr, and I'm reposting here the response I sent you privately, so others will know our policy regarding requests such as yours.

We can certainly understand the desire to provide support and recognition to those around the world that may risk their lives in service to their countries through the military and armed forces. Their courage and sacrifice is most certainly noteworthy. However, we have a policy and design requirement in place that mandates any "official" SotA-designated recognition elements, such as titles, emotes, badges, achievements, etc., must be available to all players (while those elements are available) regardless of what groups players belong to in the real world.

We have provided some tools (and will continue to develop more) to allow our community members to provide some of the special recognition you are requesting. For example, if you wished to give a special title to members (or ex-members) of the military, you can create a guild with the name of the "title" you wish to grant them. Then invite qualifying members to that guild and they will be able to display the name of the guild as a title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.