"In character" title / Roleplaying Indicator

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by WrathPhoenix, Mar 9, 2016.

?

Would you like to see an "In Character" title to indicate you are roleplaying?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    32.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Simple poll. I would like to see what people thought of the idea of having an "In Character" (or something similar) title added to the game? The idea being, this title could be turned on to indicate that you are actively roleplaying and can be approached in character.

I realize (as we all do) that many RP 100% of the time, and others dont care one way or another about roleplay. This is strictly for those in which RP is an active and large part of their gameplay style - and whether they would appreciate a title or indicator for being in character.

Leelu, stratigos, Lady Adnor and 5 others like this.
  2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Personally, no, since I was usually annoyed at how often people ignored the roleplaying constraints in games like UO when it came to character names, titles, reputation, etc. Just because the game shows someone is a red Lord Blah-Blah-Blah, Grandmaster Swordsman doesn't mean you would immediately start screaming for guards and attacking when they are dressed nondescript and haven't volunteered any information.

I just assume someone is in character in game, unless they say so otherwise.

stratigos, Krohon and Moonshadow like this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

the premise of this game is role playing, when you are not, THEN you get an indicator, like afk, I don't feel like I should have to alert everyone that i am playing a game ... just my 2 cents, I understand where the question is coming from I just feel like everything is typically handled backwards when it comes to role playing, in fact I'd like to see the afk indicator replaced with some sort snoozing indicator, if that makes sense lol.

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

I really like the idea of an "RPG" tag. I know it has been brought up before without much success, but I really hope this is a feature the devs think of implementing. I tend to slip in and out of RP myself, unless I am around people that are actively in character.. so it would be nice to know when people are playing their characters and when they are not so I know to follow suit.

It doesn't mean anyone that is Roleplaying HAS to have the tag on, but it woud give RPers a polite way to let other know that they are in character. It's just a tool. Something that I think would be relatively easy to implement, and helpful to many players.

5. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Instead of an [IC] type indicator, I'd prefer either an [OC] indicator for NOT RPing, or maybe a color difference on the name (not the title) to distinguish RPers from non-RPers, or OoC RPers...

Krohon, Tahru and Moonshadow like this.
  6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

The problem is that people who do not roleplay (and there will be many) are not going to care whether you know they are in character or out or not. So an OOC tag is not quite as useful. An OOC tag would only matter to RP'ers and only act as an indicator not to engage in roleplay. So that is creating a lot of negative enforcement against the act of roleplaying.

I am looking at this strictly from the perspective as someone new to the game and looking to engage in roleplay, if they see a tag or indicator they are more apt to engage in RP with them. It's a clear sign that the person is okay to rp and wants to do that... Where to many, especially those new to the community, are going to feel quite uncomfortable engaging others in roleplay especially that first time.

It is not 100% perfect, but outside of other potential outstanding issues i am just looking at this from a perspective of positive reinforcement. A simple indicator is a way to go about that without overcomplicating the issue. And if its optional, those who are 100% immersive or dont care for it can simply not utilize it.

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think this game's audience will be primarily RP.

Beaumaris, Leelu and Krohon like this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

In a highly distracting environment, some indicator, either a tag or even local text presented in a differing font, such as a /RPG say can help maintain the focus of any roleplay interaction.

Plays and other presented textual events could also benefit from such a text mode, and non roleplayer might see just plain runic text if they uncheck the RPG check box, if not wanting to see the interaction.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

How about and indicator for the opposite instead? Hence implying that by default everyone is at some level RP. Would that be obtuse?

Krohon and Moonshadow like this.
  10. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I just mentioned that @Tahru but again, my points stand that that is only interesting and useful to RP'ers. We may want to believe a huge part of the player base is RP centric, but they are not. Many dont come from UO or Ultima series either. I talk to dozens of players a day in effort to try to guide them through to the game and this is by far and large one of the most asked questions from those who ive encountered who were roleplayers. That's the whole reason why I wanted to bring this up.

Many will come from one of many other games out there online or off. If they are in the online portion, and they are roleplayers but new to this game, they will probably be used to the existence of an indicator that exists or a UI mod that helps them identify roleplayers.

And further more the largest margin of new players encoutered by and large have been those that appreciate the story and setting but do not look to roleplay (at least not actively). There is nothing wrong with that, but it compounds an issue where new players arriving in an area arrive and want to initiate in roleplay... and a good chunk of the players they are encountering do not want to roleplay or dont even know what it is... So they try to engage a few people and get nothing from it. There's no easy way to indicate to them those that are open to roleplay, so the net result is that unless there's new players welcoming them in personally or roleplaying in the vicinity (as we are often trying to do actively in my group) is discouragement.

So im not looking to debate the finer details of RP or the "proper" RP, that differs to each of us. I am simply asking peoples opinions on the existence of a simple title or indicator that players would be able to identify those they can roleplay with who arent part of our greater community at large who all already know each other and are close with each other. The perception to us is very different than the perception of the arriving new player - no matter how excited that new player may be.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I would appreciate a Love Machine On/Off indicator. Preferably a red light.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I'll tell you the truth. When I interact with people in the world, (not game chat console), I assume its RP and if the other person isn't, it is never a big deal. Is the problem that we need an indicator to prevent anyone not in RP from interacting? I never do that in any other game but this one, because this game seems to be RP obvious.

Not going to get into the debate of good/bad RP. I am sure I fall into the later, but I try.

Anyway, i did vote yes because I could not see any harm in it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  13. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I don't think I'd like something along the lines of "In Character" floating about, but don't mind colors (or maybe a slightly different font?) being used in speech or perhaps a color in a title to somehow designate this without being too invasive.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  14. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Avatar

I definately would. I love to RP but since I also work with the community so it might confuse some people if I was suddenly a different person.

Leelu, Krohon and Tahru like this.
  15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i see both sides of this - it would be useful for those that would want the flexibility to do so, and annoying for those who rp 100% of the time, because the people who activly use the feature wouldn't know if those 100%ers are rp'ing or not because they didn't bother to flag it.

i like the flexibility of it, more than i dislike the feeling the 100%ers would have if they don't use it.

Miracle Dragon, Leelu and Krohon like this.
  16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I see no harm in it. And it would serve a purpose for a number of people. I voted yes.

17. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

I like the idea yet I won't like to have to read a big "In Character" title floating around players. It would somewhat break the immersion. Perhaps a soft glow, noticeable but not striking, would be better.

Also, what to do with players that are not RP and do not care to switch back?

Perhaps having an item, e.g. a "Cursed pendant of glow", it would weakened Strength and provide a soft glow to the character. No one will want to keep it around if not RP and we will not have to cope with immersion breaking titles.

crossbowsoda likes this.
  18. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

I like the idea - yes

crossbowsoda, Leelu and Krohon like this.
  19. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Immersion...is fragile.

Simply speaking from my experience...the moment Lego1as87 is running around me with his face glued to the spacekey I can hear my immersion being flushed down the...well you know.

So...if somehow this game would have an eye on player names, I would agree. Else...not sure if it makes any sense.

Mata and HoustonDragon like this.
  20. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If the concern for immersion is that Role-Player is a title that breaks immersion (as if names hovering above your head dont already, which can simply be turned off anyway heheh), perhaps another name could be selected which sounds like something from the stage... Playwright... Actor... Thespian... Minstrel... Bard... Etc etc.

crossbowsoda, Leelu, Tahru and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.