1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I think all it takes is to have some advertisement and provide directions to the location to the players.

For example: "Hey! Come check out my town XYZ, where we have our famous town vendors that sell taming collar at 2,200 G (normally 2,500 G in public vendor). Here is you have to do 1) Go to Ardoris, 2) Click on the cart that will take you to town XYZ, 3) the vendor is right by the entrance to the right. "

They could even provide the screenshot to seal the deal. Regardless of whether the town is overland or nested, people are more likely to go to whatever place if they know where to go and which vendor to look at (that has the stuff they want).

You may also find towns that is nested within another player town, which they use to simulate the effect of sub urban, rural, borough areas extended from the main overland hub. There was a guy that come up with the idea where in the future POTs will/may have respawn points of nodes, or mobs.. So they can have one overland access as an output, one nested for the main area, 3-4 nested POT as "deep forest" or "farmland"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@Alfa you by no means "pledged too much for too little," you helped make the game happen! Your pledges fund the creation of the game!

This statement mostly refers to the terminology revolving around this game's development style vs more traditional development style, i.e., there is no launch ever. The game is launched already :). Its a process of continuous development, thats also why they did away with the term "pre-alpha" as it was no longer appropriate for their development model. The term launch generally refers to either a finalized product, or a semi permanent state for a product, with iterations coming in the form of expansions, rather than revisions-of-everything. I believe what that statement, "Please understand that final wipe is not "launch"," really refers to is the overall iterative process - there is no finalized product, no permanent or semi-permanent state, they game will always be in development and always be evolving. Things may get added, things may disappear, things will evolve, however, the server data will no longer be wiped clean to make future changes.

Garja Barus and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Shield

Shield Avatar

I'm strongly opposed to folks being able to use Deeds to claim smaller lots.

1. PoTs is a massive game changer - significant number of people who own PoTs will claim smaller lots initially to sell on for a profit;

2. I pledged at Knight thinking the same thing - that we would be the first to place village lots (we now have two Lords) - we understood we would be in the tier of having a chance at the decent lots of our size not a chance at the scraps from under the table of our lot size;

3. When the funding process happens for the other continents in future a lot of people are going to think twice about pledging because of this.

My suggestion :

i) everyone should have to use their larger deed first in the land rush;

ii) allow people to use larger deeds to claim smaller lots if they wish but make the deed they use permanently change to the size of lot they claim with it.

Then everyone is getting what they understood they were paying for when they pledged.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. Mr. Hatter

Mr. Hatter Avatar

On your third statement I would be curious what would happen if they go back on their promise to all the people who pledged thousands of dollars. How would the perception of a business pulling a bait and switch on someone who spent over 3k be perceived?

I know some people are upset but it has been known for quite some time, that if you pledged more money you would get more rewards.

I think that once they get rid of the pledges things will be better for everyone, as new lands open people will be on an even footing for lot placement. However they are going to have to make money someway, I personally like the collectors club monthly subscription idea, but would happily pay a monthly fee for game access. I have always had better experience with games that charge a subscription, rather then the F2P model which usually costs a lot more money.

5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

As I've said before, I would not expect or want the Devs to go back and try to meddle with the housing/land rush system at this late date. It would just open up more headaches and drama for everyone involved, and would potentially further delay the game getting on its feet.

It's not going to be completely fair, that was a given. I think they're attempting to make the best decision they can, and move forward with it.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok so you say you cannot see the point in upgrading or purchasing a POT, all to place a vendor . . . .

There are MANY POTs that are hoping to become market hubs and I am sure if you talked to any one of them, they would work with you to get a lot which you can place your vendor on.

There is NO reason a simple anscestor pledges cannot set up in a great location, it all boils down to marketing yourself.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  7. Shield

Shield Avatar

Two things :

1. Player owned towns have since been implemented and rules developed for their settlement. PoTs are a massive game changer.

2. I don't recall being told when I pledged two year ago that folks with castle and keep lots would be able to claim the (best) town and village lots. The impression I had was that Lords would be picking from the castles, Barons would be picking cities and Knights would be picking villages.

Instead the hundreds of people with PoTs will now know they are going to use their big deed in their PoT any time they want to so instead of using their priority to get a lot at the level they pledged for they will get the best town and village lots with the intention of soon selling them for profits. The people who soon end up buying those lots will not be the folk who pledged years ago.

Someone who pledged 3k did so primarily for a city lot. That's what was understood and expected. When I originally pledged Knight I expected to be in the first groups to choose the village lots.

What I am proposing fills everything Portalarium have ever communicated - whether intentionally or intentionally.

Again, my suggestion :

i) everyone should have to use their larger deed first in the land rush;

ii) allow people to use larger deeds to claim smaller lots if they wish but make the deed they use permanently change to the size of lot they claim with it.

Then everyone is getting what they understood they were paying for when they pledged.

Garja Barus and Shade Cido like this.
  8. Alfa

Alfa Avatar

3 Words LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

Pledging 1k more wont get me the Location, at least i need 1.5k or 2k and im not willing to pay for it.

Edit; Typo

9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Not sure if you noticed, but there are not only Public Vendors in the most centralized location in town, but anyone can use both the Public Vendor and their own housing vendor to make orders for things they want, and search a wide selection of vendor wares. Location is thus far less relevant.

When I go into a town, the very last thing I think about is "oh what do all these vendors right at the zone entrance have..." Instead, I run towards the town and sell my loot, repair my gear, see if the Public Vendor has anything interesting, complete any quest/journal task I have, and I exit. Sometimes I like to browse peoples houses when they have interesting models I havent been inside of yet. In fact, I never ever find myself searching housing vendors. Maybe my play style is different (actually it is, most people play in what appears to be a masochistic way to me ;-) ), but I just dont think being in any precise location, other than direct center of a town, really matters much. Its all in your perception of it being more valuable or not, there is no directly measurable value since we can just search the entire town's inventory via vendor orders.

Focusing entirely on "vendability" and not on fun factor for this game sounds, well, painful. Im sorry so many of you care less about fun and pleasure, and more about some Wall St style hustle. You’re really missing out on what gaming is all about! You're also really increasing my confidence that I will get the housing lot style I want most (away from such attitudes!).

Now on that note, one can certainly argue that some spots look prettier than others, and that given your pledge amounts, you feel entitled to the prettiest lot of your choosing. With respect to that, there are many thousands of players who have pledged more than any of the accounts you have, so it makes sense that youre in line.

cartodude likes this.
  10. Alfa

Alfa Avatar

Wall st style?? Have u play an MMO?? part of having fun is making gold and spending it.

All the games are made the same, as your life its call Capitalism not Wall St.

Dont be sorry, i enjoy my gaming...

11. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I must have missed that game. I've seen roll-backs and backups restored over the last 19 years of playing mmos, but never a wipe after it has soft-launched?

12. agra

agra Avatar

Never happened in any persistent multiplayer online game I've ever played or heard of. I would imagine it would cause a tremendous negative and public reaction from the customers.

Lumajo likes this.
  13. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I paid early access to play Landmark. Stopped when I found out about SoTA :D and haven't played in a long time, even before the Daybreak came to be. Didn't realize there had been a final wipe. Doubt I'll go back due to SoTA and EQN being cancelled.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I would fall asleep in landmark. Omg snooze fest...

15. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

Unfortunately there is very purposeful changing of the language in hopes it changes the perception away from the obvious fact that the game and all its main features, completed or not, is launching on July 28th.

Will there be game breaking exploits and bugs by launching a persistent game world in such a poor pre-alpha state? I have never see any game not have this happen since 1997. Trust me, that is not hyperbole on my part. The fact that industry veterans and legends are allowing this to happen just blows my mind. I still am hoping someone comes to their senses and corrects this coming disaster and gets back to whole point of doing crowdfunding which was launching a game only when it is ready to go Live, Live, Live!

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Ah, the doomsayers. Whatever they don't agree with will be THE death knell, because they know it to be.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Higher tiers taking any size lot under their lot size was always made clear since day 1.

One perk of being a Duke or LOTM was the castle walls which now everyone can have. Let's not take away any more like lot selection.

18. Shield

Shield Avatar

Absolutely untrue.

What we were told by Portalarium and what we pledged based on was :

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

unfortunately, you're wrong. If you dig around in the kickstarter updates, you will find a statement saying that pledges can take lower level lots as well.

20. Warrick

Warrick Avatar

Question: During the Land Rush, will low level players be able to access all housing locations for purposes of lot selection? Presently, as a low level player, I can only reach a few towns because I don't survive going through passes that lead to new sections of the map. Not having access to all the housing locations will be a huge frustration during lot selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.