Multiple weapons

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Dorham Isycle, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

OT: Do the coconuts even increase speed? More than Sprint or that other skill? More than double clicking your forward button? I genuinely could not tell if there was a point to using coconuts for 'speed'.. as the V screen is gone, and /stats does not give me a view of my speed.. visually, who knows?

Moiseyev Trueden and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Going Coconuts~:confused:
    :eek: "They are very fast"! the faster your Avatar can go on foot, thus increases the coconut speed. I don't know what all increases a character's speed, I think it's dex+swiftness=speed... but right now I have (everything dealing with speed); Train Dexterity 46... (light armor) Swiftness 64... and chr dex at 33 on my paper doll.
    and it's now difficult at times to ride in cities and towns because my coconuts are almost too fast for turns and maneuvering...
    "Coconuts... I love'em!":D and I want to get my swiftness and dex both to 100 so I can see just how fast they can actually go. "Hi-Ho ~Time Lord~ Away :eek:!!!'
    PS... They do slow down when encumbered, but faster than walking...
    ~TimeLord~
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

If we are keeping with this level of realism, then I should insta-gib someone who turns their back on me to run away when I'm wielding a two-handed sword. Also, trips, knockdowns and stuns should result in instant-kills.

The point I'm making is that you are arguing for realism in one facet of combat, in a game that doesn't inherently apply realism to combat. I mean, show me someone who can swing a claymore twice a second (as I can with my haste skills). Or who can jump or swim (or do anything other than walk slowly) in plate. I'm not going to even bring up magic, because the melee combat alone is nonsensical enough that we may as well be able to hot-swap weapons. If you want to argue that having that much variety in combat skills would be imbalanced, go for it, but don't lambast it for being "unrealistic".

"Well, were all backing this game precisely because it isnt those other games :)"
    The combat in this game is exactly like every other hotbar-based MMO in existence. Equip skills, hit buttons. The deck and "build your own class" features don't alleviate the genericness of combat.

Time Lord, KuBaTRiZeS and Adam Crow like this.
  4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

reading the op - i don't think most archers would carry a heavy sword due to the overwhelming fatigue archery has on a soldier. maybe a short sword or pair of daggers, as they're light..but nothing heavy like a flamberge bastard or two hander...maybe hatchets but not battle axes, evven.

other than that, it should take some time to do the swap.. i don't want to see a deck card pop up for dagger and click it and instantly have my dagger out. i expect to get hit at least once while swapping weapons when the enemy has come to close quarters.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yes totally agree, but I was thinking for bow to dagger, that would probably be one of the quickest. Like 3 seconds? The max at no skill for deck swap is 8 seconds, so to me that make sense for the big weapons. If I'm trying to switch from a halberd and I'm not just tossing it on the ground, it should take me prob 8 seconds to go from that to a spear and shield. But my problem is for those quick switches, like a bow to dagger or short sword it should be much quicker. There should be an option for that imo, I don't want some crazy unbalanced easy swap button (and this is all under the assumption that being able to instantly move your weapon from inventory to paperdoll is a bug and will be fixed).

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

Deck Swapping would require me to make 2 identical decks.

We can get by, but the current solution is far from ideal.

3 seconds seems like a long time.

Perhaps that number should scale based on the weapons you swap? If I swap a dagger for a one-handed mace, I should be able to do it relatively faster.

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Right, but I was also thinking it might have a skill attached to it, so you could cut that time by half or something at a grandmaster level. So the 3 seconds could become 1.5 once you are well trained and have practiced it enough.

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

To be honest, I think the best fix for this request would be that in deck swapping, if all armor is the same, the swap should be much faster (like 2-3 seconds). That way, changing a spell set (which would only require you to go into your memory) or changing out a weapon would be much faster than getting into your town clothes and donning your coconuts for speed.

I use decks to change to town clothes or for when I am doing other things like sprinting or climbing, but I don't set those things to my alternate deck. My alternate deck I use just in battle, when I don't have time to press Y and load the other set. So, if I wanted to use two different weapons, I would have one loaded up with my bow skills and spells, and the other loaded with my sword skills and spells and switch between them accordingly. Having sword skills pop up when I am at ranged would be useless, and better placed in a deck just for the up close scenarios.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Well I have to come back here since what I thought was a Bug - is NOT a bug it is by design that players can change weapons while in combat - - - I do not agree with it but hey if the powers that bee do not see what is wrong with it all you super skilled warriors are free to ask for all you want.

Soooo go on continuing to ask for a Hotkey to just change your weapon, there is no reason why you should not be able to get it. Sure it make "perfect sense" to drop a bow and grab a sword without any time penalty :oops:

Oh and when you get done with that don't forget to ask to change the skills related with it also since why would you have archery and Swords in the same deck o_O But wait you don't have to since Auto Attack allows you to use both with minimal training :(

Time Lord, agra and Fister Magee like this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Will Do!

Time Lord and Dorham Isycle like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And you do realize that there is an arrow both above and below his hand holding the arrow, sorry as a real archer this will NOT work the bottom arrow will just point at the ground and stick there about a foot in front of you but sure the picture is "kool"

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

This is a really cool idea, I almost think there should be a level 50 unlocked skilled trade call it experienced adventurer, out something.

The tree would include a Skill that let you use skills from a primary and secondary tree.

Maybe another innate Skill that unlocks the ability to wager on duel outcomes.

An innate skill that increases the randsome pvp rewards.

Ect...

13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

There is a cripled Kobold begging for mercy on the ground & a bat in the background for the top arrow :)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Multi_Shot

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@er'body

Lets say I am not arguing for "more realism," but "less un-realism." I know there are magics and tamed dragons and flying carpets (ok that was U7). I know its fantasy that a knight in shining armor could summon a liche and also blast you with a lightning bolt. I prefer a more challenging game mechanic, for melee combat, that the penalty for "swapping weapons" be so great that it is only feasible when there are no active opponents (i.e., stunned, rooted at a distance, neutralized/dead, really far away in general).

So yeah Ill desist making my points in terms of realism, I was just using it as a foundation for why I appreciate an intended difficulty in swapping weapons*. Id like to make my point in terms of combat challenge. "Quick swap" is console-controller-game-ish to me.

* and yeah, given the deck swapping skills, its utterly rediculous that you can just swap equipment out of your backpack while fighting (e.g., dual wield for 2H).

Time Lord likes this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

16. Haz

Haz Avatar

Sometimes I just wonder......there seems to be folks that just want to make things harder than they should be........

Ya'll have to be talking about switching while PvPing, or trying to switch when the baddie is already pummeling you, right?

In PvE...
    As an archer, if I was to switch weps from a bow to an axe/sword/dagger, then wouldn't I just fire a few disabling shots at the skellie (hoping one slows him a bit) and while he's still ....IDK.... say 15 feet from me, drop the bow and switch to the axe/sword/dagger? I don't have to switch the entire deck cause I have 1 or 2 of the proper melee glyphs locked in place on my bar, or as Weins said, just beat the crap outta him with auto attack (at least at this point). Don't ya think 15 feet distance is enough time?

What if it's kinda the reverse, say my main deck is melee and I want to use the bow to 'draw' one critter to me. I have a single aimed shot glyph locked and the rest are melee glyphs. So I fire the first 2-4 aimed shots, drop the bow and use my axe for the rest of the kill? Why would that be outta the realm of possibility? Why should that take so much time that the critter is gonna sneak a blade between my ribs while I'm grabbing my Main wep??

Not sure why everyone wants to make switching weps (not decks) harder than it has to be. If you wanna switch weps and not decks, then it has to be done before you get smacked or there has to be X amt of feet between you and the victim.

17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Most of the people in this thread that are against the OP just didn't listen to most of it and went off on their own rants. Lots of good ideas here, hope it doesn't get lost because a few people just didn't get it.

18. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

You forgot the artillery barrage, I bet. ;) :D

Back on topic, I agree with Weins, as we're not playing Red Crucible Firestorm nor Doom: I only wish to know, just for my curiosity, if Dorham is really able to place his longbow on shoulder and draw a longsword (but it works even with shortbow and normal sword), while in the middle of a fight, "in .2 seconds"... I mean in real life, as a game like this one, even if fantasy, should be at least kind of "realistic"... if not, Budner's post is perfectly legal and viable: I'm pretty sure I'll be able to call an airstrike in .2 seconds, when I'll be out of focus. ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Budner and Time Lord like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Makes no sense at all to play the realism card here. So many things are not realistic because this is a game. You guys crack me up. If I can switch everything, deck and full equipment in 8 seconds why is it so hard to comprehend that people might want an option to switch just the weapons in your hand a bit faster. Also not sure where the .2 second thing came from, I'm looking for it to take time depending on the size and weight of the weapon and also be interruptable. But it's fine, just keep making jokes and don't respond to any of my ideas, that's real helpful.

20. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

It's not a joke, I'm serious, I'll try to explain.
    Try this experiment at home, with the help of two friends, one for driving a car and the other with a stopwatch:
    1. equip a bow-like thing: a 2 m long stick with a rope tied to both ends it's enough [1], wear on your back an half meter long container with some sticks into it (the "arrows")
    2. wear a longsword-like thing at your belt, e.g. 1,3 m iron tube 2 kg weight [2], placing it into a sheath-like bag, tied to the belt
    3. target a slow moving car [3] moving towards you, which simulates a predator, with the "bow" and, when it's 30-50 m from you, try placing the bow on your shoulder (don't let it fall!) and draw your "sword"
    Take a measure of the time you use doing the point 3: if you use more than 10 seconds OR the car is at you before you can do it [4]... ok, in this game we're all trained to do it faster, better, and more effectively. ;)

And, yes, this is "a game", but there is no reason why that's have to be "a stupid game", or devs permitted you to switch from your longbow to an M202 [5] in less than 1 second, uh? :D
    We like to enjoy this game, but it can't be "too much easy" or "an arcade", or we'll go playing something other.

Just to say: when I was into WoW [6] in 2010, an hunter had to bring many arrows around the world and, when they ended, the hunter was in trouble... well... not in trouble like a mage without reagents in Ultima, as the WoW's hunter have a pet to defend himself... but the lack of arrows (or bullets, if he was a dwarf using rifles) was more than a nuisance. Then I left WoW for some time and, when I got back, in 2013... no more need of projectiles, arrows and so on. :eek:
    Ok... it was far more "confortable", not to have to think at all those arrows, to have plenty of them if you entered a dungeon, to buy them from NPCs or into the Auction House... but, from my "realistic" point of view, WoW lost something about that.

[1] Longbow
    [2] Longsword
    [3] nearly 30 km/h, ask a friend of you to drive it at that speed towards you
    [4] a car running at 30 km/h employs 7,2" to cover 30 m
    [5] M-202
    [6] WoW

Moiseyev Trueden, Mata and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.