Multiple weapons

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Dorham Isycle, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

There needs to be a multiple weapon option. Not something you swap to but an equipped weapon in the tree just like the crafting equipped in the tree.
    An archer could easily swap to swords in a battle when the targets are close & if they run, switch back to bow. It simply depends on the cards your dealt, just like an archer can cast a spell or a swordsman can cast a spell. It's just using a different skill tree. It's just not grabbing an arrow & instead sheathing the bow & grabbing that dagger/hammer/sword.
    It's not like dressing in a different armor set.

A melee should also be able to switch between a few weapons on the fly depending on the cards dealt. If a mage can shoot a fire arrow & in the next second shoot a shot from a different tree why can a melee not do this between combat trees?

Just look at my sig pic, the archer has a dagger & a sword equipped. It would be very easy for him to grab those

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    helm, Moiseyev Trueden, Skyo and 9 others like this.
  2. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Considering that some two handed weapons (like bow and arrow) can be held in one hand when not in use, this does not seem too far fetching.

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

As a mage with wands/staff, and since my weapon type has NO auto-attack, I know I'd love to be able to pull out a dagger or something that can act as an autoattacker WHEN my focus runs out/low, which happens a lot. :) This is a great idea and could work well.

edit: ok, ok, there is an autoattack on the staff/wand, tho I think hitting things with my fists has better damage (instead of bluntly hitting things with my magical wand).. the autoattack is not anywhere near similar to any other weapon.

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe weight and size of the weapon could determine how fast you were able to switch. Like for instance a dagger could be switched to almost instantly, but to switch from a two-handed to a weapon/shield might take 2 or 3 seconds.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeah you can already do this, it is called- Swapping Decks - - and the time it takes and the focus cost depends on what you are changing the less you change the faster, more efficient it is.

I don't change weapons but I do change skills for long range / close range.

And NO you do NOT have a Sword equipped when yo are shooting a bow, it may be on your body but you still have to put your sword up and draw your mele weapon, they do not just disappear and reappear. And if you are swinging a sword you do not just drop it and wala a bow appears in your hand, you sheath it and pull the bow off your back.

What is here now works just fine.

Now if you want to throw away your weapon and pick up another sure but once dropped it is gone until the fight is over and you can reloot it.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Again changing a deck looks at what you change and how many items . . .

Time Lord and stratigos like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, we have deck swapping... I still think it needs to be improved, though.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Agreed but he wants something different???

FrostII likes this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That doesn't change fast enough. We're not looking to switch decks, just quickly switch weapons.

Sara Dreygon and agra like this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

Yep, expected feature for a modern persistent fantasy-themed game. Ranged & Melee weapons, both slots have equipped items, and you can swap during combat. Only the stats/effects from the active weapon should apply.

I'd agree with the 'swap deck' mechanic, except two things: Recast timers are reset and it takes 8-10 seconds. I don't want my entire deck swapped. I don't want all my recast timers reset. I just want to put away my bow and take out my sword. Like I can in dozens of other games.
    Happily, you can already do this today, and have been able to for at least 3 releases. You can swap weapons in combat at any time. Just drag your weapon from your inventory onto your paperdoll. The request by the OP would simply be an additional UI element and keybinding to designate the intended ranged/melee weapons and swap action. The mechanic already exists and the universe hasn't imploded, so far. ;)

Moiseyev Trueden and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

this is NOT other games and the act of changing weapon is Signficant, hence the deck Swap, sorry if is nothing like dropping your long gun and drawing your pistol, this is ALOT more complex. And the Swapping mechanic could be fater for just weapon change but it is still a viable system that could just use some tweaking

Time Lord, stratigos and FrostII like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

We're talking about swords and those types of weapons Weins, nobody said anything about guns.

The problem I have with being able to simply move your weapon in the middle of combat to your paper doll (which I understand you can already do) is that it's instant. That should take time, have its own ui and animation, maybe even be interruptable(is that a word?). The ability to do it instantly should be removed imo.

13. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Weins what does your extended testing imply on this topic?

Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You do realize that you are actually making the same point I am - Swapping weapons instantly CANNOT be done while in combat, but you can Swap Decks. The OP wants to be able to do just what you say not to do Change Weapons on the fly.

Ty for supporting my argument.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And your point Is what?

The more items you change the longer it takes is that what you want to hear.

And if you only change one it takes less time . .

But they should also consider how much is actually changed in skills so if al you change is a weapon it could be faster as you change more and more skills, they should also be counted?

Is my testing thorough enough to make an educated decision?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Nah... the skills are representative of things you know.. not physical items within an impossibly small backback.. otherwise I see and agree with what you say........

17. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Not complex at all. Assign a weapon to a skill just like crafting. When that card comes up & you click it, you use it. Putting one weapon away takes .2 seconds, drawing another takes just as long. NOT talking ABOUT dressing IN a DIFFERENT outfit.

Or should we swap decks in crafting to make things make sense, you don't just put your carpentry hammer away & start using table saw. What, yes you do.

Why can magics cast from any tree right after each other without swaping to a different deck to use a different tree.

"Sorry", you keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

18. agra

agra Avatar

There is a realm of compromise that exists between "my way" and "the highway". :) This is not a binary choice or solution.
    In that spirit, I would be content with a 0.5 - 1.5 second swap time, for weapons only, not affecting my glyphs/recasts/or any other aspect of my combat experience.
    Otherwise, I'll continue to swap them instantly, and smile every time I do it. ;) And if they remove that ability, I'll just switch to some other just as/more effective ranged attack like Fire Arrow.
    For me, the only reason I use the bow is to do a little damage before the creature reaches me and melee commences.

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I would like to be able to wield a heavy weapon in each hand, have spiked boots that I can kick with, and inflict damage via biting. Oh, and call in airstrikes. Is possible?

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Nope, I am disagreeing with you and agreeing with the OP. You just once again try to twist something around just to argue. I want to be able to switch on the fly, in combat, just not INSTANTLY. If you have a bow out, you should be able to switch mid combat to a dagger. End of story. There is no reason for you to be arguing this, other than trolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.