1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Concept Art: Housing

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Great work I like them though I think the middle tower looks a little skinny and I'd like to see a balcony towards top of the middle tower for star gazing.

caravaggiosWolf, rild and Koldar like this.
  2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Another refreshing, original concept. I love how this game is innovating instead of imitating.

3. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I really love the concept art. I do hope they turn out as nicely in the game. :) They're awesome! :)

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think it's great like that. Anyone that doesn't like the wizards tower looks I'd think can get a more normal looking tower. I don't think it's intended to define the magic-user role, but is used to show a facet of the power of magic, holding up towers and objects against the pull of gravity. Certainly I think you'd be able to decorate a more "normal structure" with various magical devices and decorations that show your interest and use in magic if you don't like the more whimsical styling shown.

5. rild

rild Avatar

I want one with a leaky roof where I have to keep pots and pans all over the place to catch the rain

6. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

Perhaps the wizard towers should reflect the characters personalities more? For instance, do you want a tower that looks like it belongs to the Sorceror's Apprentice (i.e., Mickey Mouse) or one that's dark and sinister? Maybe homes could reflect a little more about the power, influence and choices made by each character?

Otherwise I think the designs are cool. I just hope that when 3 wizard towers are built side-by-side, there's enough variation to remain interesting. "Oh floating stairs, very original."

caravaggiosWolf likes this.
  7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I believe we will have enough housing choices and some of them will be difficult or expensive to use/unlock that it will be rare to see 3 of the same building next to each other. Except for possibly some of the early backers/founders home's in good locations.

caravaggiosWolf and rild like this.
  8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I have to agree with wsye on this, unfortunately. Not a fan of the too-twisty-bendy towers, it feels too cartoony, like something out of wonderland.

I can get behind the concept that a wizard could be loopy and prone to strange designs, but I would hope that would manifest itself in ways other than an overall cartoonish feel.

9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Like merlin in the sword in the stone?

[​IMG]

Only exterior pic I could find of it.. I think he used umbrellas to block it... I have it on my computer I guess when I get home I could take a screenshot.

Koldar and rild like this.
  10. grnarrow

grnarrow Avatar

Love the floating side towers. Not loving the Harry Potter-esque whimsical style. Absolutely hating twisting stairs that I'd have to be careful not to fall off of every time I run into my tower. Although conceptually cool, they'd be a pain to navigate.

11. rild

rild Avatar

that's exactly what i was thinking of, even though i haven't seen that film in at least 15 years!

12. Smyrno

Smyrno Avatar

Great job Stephen, they look fantastic. I think taming the curves down some may take a bit of the whimsical feel from it, which shouldn't be too big of a problem once they're modeled. Depending on the angle of the curve it could look evil or menacing, like a snake's fang. I see no reason why we couldn't have a whimsical, classical and a menacing version of the towers with only a little bit a modeler's time giving the world more variation and allowing us to express our personalities to a greater degree.

rild and Dame Lori like this.
  13. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Great work and great job! I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the vertical waviness though, I mean, I can go for some structural irregularity for sure but too much makes it feel like a kids cartoon :confused:
    Thanks as always!

14. Eligor

Eligor Avatar

The original Wizard Tower concept art made me want to buy a city plot. These new ones may take some time to grow on me. I do like the rope bridges and the stairs though.

It depends how they're lit and what their "mood" is. For example, I find the Tower properties that are currently available in the add-on store to be a bit too bright and clean for my liking. To me a wizard's tower should look weathered and worn, a little neglected somehow. On balance I'd say I prefer these to the originals, but for me to actually get one they would have an atmosphere to them too.

Maybe the steps would move slightly as they levitate, different coloured smoke would come from the chimney depending on what was happening inside. The occasional bat would fly into the tower through a missing slate in the roof. It wouldn't be anything over-the-top, just subtle little things that when the passer-by stopped and looked at it would make them realise something's not quite right.

If the Knight's keep resembled order then the Wizard's tower would be more chaotic.

Personally I think it would be cool if both these and the originals made it into the game. I would have one of the originals if I were in a well-to-do part of town as the style would fit-in more. But if I were on an exposed hill-top, or out on the outskirts of town then these newer ones would look more the part.

~~~~

As the host and his guests continued their frivolities late into the night a momentary flash-of-light drew their attention to the old wizard's tower nestled on the hill-top across the river to the west.

"Pay that no heed, friends" gested Wyse in the direction of the tower "it's just that batty old wizard Eligor trying to conjure-up some potion again I'll wager! He's probably trying to cure the effects of the last one he drank!"

A ripple of laughter swept through the guests as servants brought more ale up to the roof-top to fuel the festivities. All but one that is, for he had let his gaze linger on the darkness of the window set into the floating tower longer than was wise. He shuck away the feeling of being watched as an icy chill ran through him, only to jump slightly as Wyse thrust a fresh mug of ale into his hands.

"Strong stuff this, Wyse" the guest said looking down into the mug. "Aye, that it is lad, that it is!" Wyse chuckled.

Stifling a shudder the guest took one last glance at the tower before returning to join the others enjoying their drinks in the warmth of the fire.

But that didn't stop the tower continuing its icy gaze back...

rild and Wsye like this.
  15. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

This gets to my earlier point - the look of the home should reflect the power and reputation of the owner. There will surely be some wizards who want the 'light' look to their tower. I can't imagine there's some dark, brooding mage who wants a happy tower, or vice-versa. It should reflect (somewhat automatically) the owner inside.

Smyrno and rild like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I too like the floating rooms and steps, but just not a fan of the warped towers. Straighten them out but keep the levitating pieces.

Also the town version is too tall and skinny. I would rather have a shorter house with more square footage per floor than have to walk up 20 flights of stairs to get to the top floor. I wouldn't buy that house, even for role playing.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yes please put the origional towers that were drawn before as wizard towers as an option. Some people seem to like these new oddly shaped towers, but as one of those who don't like the odd shape I can honestly say I would want another type of wizard tower.

18. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

I also agree with wsye. While these buildings are showing creativity on the developers side, I also think they would more fit into a funny animation for kids than into a somewhat serious medieval environment.
    Or maybe I'm simply too old to enjoy such designs in "my" environment.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Phredicon and Wsye like this.
  19. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I know it's twice as much work, but I wouldn't mind having both the old idea and the new idea as options.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I See Where Some Earlier Posters Are Coming From. The Extreme Curves Do Make The Towers Look Like Something Out Of A Dr. Seuss Book. I Still Like The Concept Though. Maybe If The Bending Was A Lot More Subtle It Would Still Be Original But More Realistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.