Steam updates their review feature!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fister Magee, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think thats unfair to say that. As alot of the criticism on steam is also true. Lets not pick a review each other and discuss them each and every one... the general score is bad and thats because it isnt delivering in certain areas...their strategy is now to keep players playing rather than get new ones. Persistence will hopefully entertain us for a couple of month.. but they need to deliver more in that time. A "release" is now far away unfortunately... its very very hard to repair a ruined reputation. Sad but true. Seeing the telethon I think they realized that and I think it could work this way and sota gets better over time.

HairballHacker likes this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The interesting part is that after all these negative reviews, there are still people buying the game to give bad reviews despite the huge description to read the negative reviews.

I don't think there is a need to take those bad reviews personally. Out of many shitpostings, you may find something new that hasn't been addressed yet. The more comments are the better, I think.

Acred likes this.
  3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

*Chuckle*

EVE just entered it fourteenth year of production ("it turned teenager" said its Executive Producer at Fanfest), and has been in development for a total of nineteen - next year marking the 20th anniversary of the company. How can anyone compare it to an unreleased game is beyond me by a mile.

And they have a tremendous retention problem. Out of a lot of new players (it has been mentioned one million) trying the game every year, only an handful of them remain hooked long enough. The figures given at keynotes were "still playing after two hours" and "still playing after two weeks". The current average concurrent player figure is ~32'000 (peaks at ~40'000 during prime time), which is very low compared to the age and appeal of the title. (*)

Source: me, I was there.
    ___
    (*) - Stats for actual ingame usage: http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

This "Launch" topic is so dead. So. Dead.

5. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Beating a dead horse is "fun" for some I guess :(

6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

All I'm saying is if Sota can be as good as EvE in the market it succeeds even with a smaller audience. Never compated the current state of the game to current EvE Online.. I wonder how u get that impression. Currently Sota is nothing against EvE Online comparing to active players and community. I hope we can get Sota to have this many active players... Right now it feels to me like a wasteland in MP Online Mode.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  7. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Exactly.

It seems to me a lot (not all) of the upset\commentary from people here on these forums is basically a form of "acting out" because the beloved game we decided to back is not being received as well as we would prefer by Steam users; so we find it easy to make Steam users "wrong" by vilifying them. It is true that some of the Steam reviews are misguided in some ways, but many are also spot on and completely legitimate and should be taken seriously by us and the SotA devs. Demonizing Steam users is childish, does not reflect well on us, and should be avoided.

So anyway the changes to the Steam review system are a step in the right direction and should be welcomed as a better indicator of positive (or negative) change to the game.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

FYI to everyone, we will not tolerate bashing of players or groups, wherever they come from. I happen to be a strong Steam user myself, so are you bashing me as well then?

We rely, respect, and support all players (many of which just happen to be using Steam), even if we sometimes don't like their opinion. Regardless of what perceived differences we feel from another group like this, we will not bring it up in this fashion here.

Thanks

9. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Thank you so much.

Ice Queen and warxnox like this.
  10. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

I'm sad that it had to come from the "authorities" to make this steam users bashing / dividing of the community stop, but finally, THANKS for your intervention Berek.

argyle likes this.
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This was not a Steam bashing thread, I made that clear. Thanks Berek! :)

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ok let me be very straight:
    The "Bashing" (yes I still don't think it was Bashing) came from a handful of people (in most cases it was more or less a legitimate voicing of opinions).
    To be more Precise: between the bad jokes and people that don't like Steam (the marketplace, not the users) i saw exactly two people that really bashed.
    I am talking about the original Post train we are reffering to in this discussion.
    We are totaly blowing this topic up and post like this legitimate the opinion steamuseres may get about us.
    In my opinion that's not good.
    I am a Steam User myself and I didn't feel "bashed".

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Berek

Great, then we'll move back on topic. Thanks Jarl!

14. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

with the horrible state of combat and animations no wonder the negativ reviews get more and more.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea the game has a very long ways to go before I see it as "good". I wish the communication was better ya i know we get tons via telethons (drunkathons) and postmortems (go back in red type and anwser the questions you dont get to) and the devs are some what active from time to time on the fourms. But id like to hear more of "this is not to our liking and this is what we are thinking". I believe eventually they will get it sorted out after a several wrong turns. All I can suggest is combine wow style play with the richness of ultima/UO no need to reinvent the wheel with stuff like card combat and avoid wow style crafting they did not do that right at all.

Im actually enjoying game more and more. Id like it smoother less jumpy or laggy, animations tied down and replace the crafting system. A pvp system that does not cater to everyone but the people who actually will do it(pokes at ransom system).

Im in it for the long haul, I know it will get there.

EDIT: I felt bad for leaving this out. I give portalarium an A+ for listening and mostly(even if slowly) respoding to feedback. @DarkStarr @Chris @Berek @restoftheteam.. thanks !

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Juzzie, warxnox and Ice Queen like this.
  16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I hope you told the "steam" players this as well... Because IMO, steam players "bash" SotA deliberately in their reviewing of it, for the sole purpose of getting the project cancelled or give it a black eye so no one wants to purchase it... I've had my comments deleted from reviews because I don't support their negative view points at all... Even in their postings, they seem to make it their mission in life to bash SotA, IMO for no good reason, but to claim it's their opinion... If they don't like it, why do they bother?...

Fister Magee likes this.
  17. Berek

Steam is a melting pot of different gamer types, so what you're seeing there are no "Steam gamers bashing SotA", but simply different types of gamers that happen to be discovering the game through Steam.

Are their reviewers justified? That's another question. I agree that they could be... better. But if you are easily coming across the game in Steam and don't bother to read the very clear "It's not finished yet!" description we have placed :), then that's indeed a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.