POLL - Ships in SotA - Captain on the Rye, Lord of the Gulls, Of Ships and Men

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Tartness, Sep 29, 2013.

?

How would you like to see ships implemented in SotA?

1. I would support sea based ships for use of personal transport and storage.

35.6%
  2. I would support sea based ships for use of personal and group transport, not storage.

17.8%
  3. I would support sea based ships for use in all transport and for expanded economic/trading.

76.7%
  4. I would support sea based ships for use in combat scenarios, only PvE.

15.6%
  5. I would support sea based ships for use in combat scenarios, both PvE and PvP.

77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I could go on and on with book or movie names for ships in SotA, but I wont :) Posted here in Skills and Combat because both of those could work their way into this.

Too long, don’t want to read instructions:
    Vote twice, one vote between options 1, 2, and 3. Then one vote between options 4, and 5.

Options and discussion thus far exclude water based housing.

I would support sea based ships for use of personal transport and storage.

Ships would be a personal item with this option; you could navigate your way to port towns across the land, and store a very limited amount of cargo as you go.

I would support sea based ships for use of personal and group transport, not storage.

Not only could you transport yourself, but a group of friends with this option. Including ships in guild activities could bring a new avenue of RP into the fold, possibly even solely naval based guilds. No storage of any kind would be included due to the ship’s expanded role in RP.

I would support sea based ships for use in all transport and an expanded economic trading infrastructure.

This option would be a combination of the above two, it would include personal and group transport, but with personal storage for the captain. The reason for this would be to carry cargo goods to and from different trade routes which could be dynamically created between different ports based on variables in the seasons, weather, economy and other factors.

I would support sea based ships for use in combat scenarios, only PvE.

Pretty self-explanatory, ships could come under attack from various PvE elements.

I would support sea based ships for use in combat scenarios, both PvE and PvP.

Also pretty self-explanatory, ships could come under attack from various PvE elements as well as other ship captains. This could be expanded to include privateer system with letters of marque from various different governments or rulers of the land to enrich the RP on the PvP side of things.

I will put my thoughts down here so they don’t get in the way of the poll information. I’ve always been a Sci-Fi fan and galactic adventures with Starships have always been a fascination of mine. Since Shroud of the Avatar has not been set in a technologically wondrous age, and magic/non-combustion powered flight has always turned me off, I defer to sea faring ships.

Personally I would love to think whatever economic and ecological system makes an appearance in Shroud of the Avatar, it would be structured to include trade over the seas. It makes sense, aside from using Lunar Rifts or braving the underworld it would be the only way to reach some of New Britannia and one of the better ways to move large amounts of cargo. Be it moving reagents to different cities for a profit or fishing off the coast of a fishing port, I think that it would add a lot to the game. I typically don’t gravitate towards PvP either, but in the right circumstances I could be encouraged to do so on the high seas. The reason mainly being that it would simply be much more interesting.

Ships could be interesting from an RP side of things too, especially if you could host guild events on/in the ship. Decorations could be developed to enrich the ships much as they have for housing. Skills could be created for maintenance and repair of ships, crafting skills are given something else to create items for also.

If nothing else, I would enjoy the simple ability to jump on my own personal ship and go fish for treasure as I did for a long time in Ultima Online. All or some of these options may be out of scope for the first Shroud game, but I would like to think they are on the table!

What do you all think on the Ship subject?

[​IMG]

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Trading and PvP.

Always wanted to see an amphibious castle siege.

Sid Meier's Pirates! was an amazing game and a good inspiration both for city assaults and for faction reputation mechanics.

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I loved Sid Meir's Pirates! I may have to go dig that up now...

Amphibious castle siege? Would that be an underwater city with Avatars chuckin out a few dozen powder kegs from their ships? :p I am only kidding, I know what you mean and agree, that sort of thing would be very enjoyable.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

That's a unanimous 5/5 vote from me.

5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Merely the experience of having my own ship, for whatever period of time, sailing up to a place I know from spending time there while land bound, and being able to affect it, to gather goods, to shell it with catapult or ballista, to deploy troops, even if those troops consisted of me and my imaginary friend Bob, would be epic. Mix in quests and PvP, it might be a while before I come ashore and give that ship up.

6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

My thoughts exactly. Only thing that would lure me to shore would be additional RP guild events most likely :)

7. ArcanumVeritas

ArcanumVeritas Avatar

Isle nations ... boats will need to come into play eventually ... but /shrug not a driving thing for me ... boats get you from coast to coast

and where there is trade there are pirates ...

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

The more storage the better. :)
    House, boat, wagon, lama, hmm and what else can I have?

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  9. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Storage is good, and usually comes at a premium in games now. Could drive the value and prestige of the boat/ship up in the game making them something that could only be obtained after hard work.

10. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

How right you are! I would gladly support Ship to Ship PvP. Going to need to find me a good Blacksmith and Tinker to equip my cannons with some heavy chain-shot, when you all have no masts, I'll gladly help "deliver" that cargo.

Captain Jack approves of ships in this game!

11. Dracowyr

Dracowyr Avatar

I'd love to see ships in SotA. I really enjoyed Pirates of the Burning Sea, and if the experience can even come close to that, it would be fantastic.

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There's another dimension where this could be a really great add for a later episode. Focus on the land first, then expand into sea scenarios. I could really see it being implemented well that way.

Oh and there should be penalties for abandoning ships or they should be rarer (as in a realistic scenario not everyone has one), so that it doesn't become ridiculous.

13. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

I doubt anybody would be against an awesome implementation of ships in SotA though I have the feeling that this would be a topic for later expansions. (Hopefully the second one ;))

Time Lord and jondavis like this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

We're getting new "land masses" each year. I would be willing to bet that ships are included in the episode that gives us a small continent with a large set of island chains.

Kilhwch likes this.
  15. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Ships for transport and piratin' would be amazing. I don't see it happening for Ep1, but I will hold out hope that this game will bring back all the transport options of the other Ultima games at some point - mounts, boats, skiffs, carpets...

LoneStranger likes this.
  16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I sure do love riding carpet.

licemeat and Kilhwch like this.
  17. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

/report

licemeat likes this.
  18. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I enjoyed that quite a bit as well, however stopped play early due to bugs which I couldn't resolve. May be time to revisit that one.

Yeah it would be great if we could get a big ship expansion in the 2nd, if not maybe a little over time in each and by the 5th have a very robust sea based adventure available for everyone.

Might have to draw the line on carpets... They would cut into my business, too fast! :)

Mordecai likes this.
  19. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

[​IMG]

20. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm not voting because I'd like to see ships used for all of the above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.