Nonconsensual PVP

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by NeoHelios, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoHelios

NeoHelios Avatar

First time poster here; been a long time since I've even looked at this game, so pardon my ignorance. Question: does this game include any form of non-consensual PVP? For example, can my character be murdered by other players in their own home or while I'm playing out at some arbitrary place in the wilderness minding my own business? (NOT offline mode)

Thank you.

2112Starman, Abydos, Leelu and 5 others like this.
  2. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Nope. Must be consensual and you are warned when going into forced PvP zones.

Welcome to the forums and look forward to seeing you in game at some point. 8^)

Ice Queen, Leelu, Mata and 4 others like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You can flag yourself for PvP. There are also scenes where there is open PvP, but you are warned when entering those scenes.

Leelu, Mata, Sweetmcpwnsauce and 2 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As Moiseyev explained, there's only consensual pvp in this game. However, if you're going to travel to a PVP Zone, like Rats Nest, then you're consenting to PVP as long as you're there.

5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

All that could happen but you must allow it to happen. For that you need to talk to the Oracle (an NPC entity) and tell her that you don't want to be protected. From that moment onwards you can be attacked by any player you meet.

As the rest of posters are saying, there's also PVP zones where to enter you must accept PVP status. Shardfalls are one of those where people are supposed to go hunt for resources. PVP towns (either NPC or player owned, like the aforementioned Rats Nest) are places where you are guaranteed to be able to die in your own kitchen at the hands of a fellow evildoer (that is, as long as you leave the door open).

Leelu, Mata, Sweetmcpwnsauce and 2 others like this.
  6. helm

helm Avatar

Welcome @NeoHelios!

There are many differing opinions and interpretations about the question. It's also a kind of a hot potato :)

The majority opinion seems to state that "PvP is consensual, period". Personally I like to call the PvP in this game "consensual non-consensual PvP", meaning that once you consent to non-consensual PvP by 1) flagging yourself at the Oracle, or 2) flagging yourself by attacking a PvP flagged player or 3) entering a PvP zone, you're free game to everyone, including griefers, while you remain flagged, or remain in the PvP zone. When flagged, the mechanisms to prevent griefers simply do not exist, so a least in theory there's no "minding your own business", except that you can prevent physical access to your own house.

Leelu, Mata, KuBaTRiZeS and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mata

Mata Avatar

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No.

If it did, I wouldn't be here.

Ice Queen, Leelu, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

:eek: That was spot on Mata! Here's where the experience of a professional greeter is proven. No wording nor interpretation can defeat the mighty informational power of the player's guide! (whose existence i keep forgetting for no special reason :oops:)

Neohelios, it's quite recommended to read that document if you have been disconnected from the project for a long time :D

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

You're welcome! :)

11. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

It seems to me that shroud of the avatar would be in the right mind to create another shroud kickstarter, one with the true essence of Ultima and Ultima online. It would state that there would be non consentual pvp but have safe zones like UO. One must be attentive to actively call the guards if attacked. That game would bring the passion of Ultima without the stigmatism of being neutered. This is just my opinion though.

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations NeoHelios! As you can see here, we have a wonderful community ready to help you out :). Let us know what other questions you may have!

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No such thing as nonconsentual PvP. The devs set where you choose to PvP. At login, when you leave a safe location, when you flag, etc. That generation of gaming is only in the history books.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sure there is, have you been to the SotA forums?

15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Berek, ask to the team for PvP server with open PvP and Full Loot. Tons of news players will come play.

Skyo likes this.
  16. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The economy is not setup for FFA Full Loot PVP. There is not Murder System in the game.. They dont even have a system for the current PVP Flagging to be meaningful within the Lore or the game mechanics... PVP zones can easily be avoided without negative effects.
    Sota PVP and the whole sanbox still has a long way to go and before risk vs reward dont match we wont get many new players. Right now reputation of the game is srsly damaged, and its a long way to repair it until december release.

wunder, Xail and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  17. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Oh no! There we go again... The 'It-is-not-pvp-unless-it-is-full-loot-open-pvp-everywhere' crowd has found the thread!... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.