Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Oba Evesor, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Few things.

1) attacking way too many dead bodies when in a mob. Those should no longer count as targets.

2) the game is still turning 'for me'. Just because I'm looking that direction doesn't mean I want to attack that direction. My avatar shouldn't turn its back to the current target right in front of me, unless I turn it!!

2. Xail

Xail Avatar

I would add this:
    3) If a melee player auto attack a mob he does not get the life bar showing....he should I suppose....so melee players are forced to use the "G" anyhow even if already attacking with auto attack aiming the target...

Kara Brae and Oba Evesor like this.
  3. Cherico

Cherico Avatar

I use this thread for my opinion to this topic (new target system), because i don't want to start a new one (i hope in r30 does not everone starts a new one to the same topic like in r29 *gg*)

The over-shoulder-view is much better then the over-head-view before, for me. So the crosshair does not jump from center-of-the-screen to a-little-bit-over-the-center-of-the-screen when swap from 3rd to 1st view ;) But why use new and complicated keybindings? There are so many games and MMOs with action-combat-system (when we want to name it so) out there - why reinvent the wheel? TAB for release the mouse? G for lock or select another enemy?
    When you want to use this "modern" control-system, so please let me loot and gather also with a simple keypress (normally the games use F) when an appropriate corpse or node is near to me ;)

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Err... then don't turn around when attacking or do what I do: look around between swings.

Are you in auto-attack by any chance?

5. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Nope, no auto attack. I'm running mage in PvE.

Its not about when i look around. The game shouldn't move my character 'for me' when in combat.
    I should have to turn to face my target if I want to cast that direction.
    I can stand in one spot and pull mobs from around an area w/chain lightning, then just stand there and cast, the game turning 'for me' to each target. Just spamming my attacks and rotating my camera.

6. helm

helm Avatar

@Chris, @Berek, unfortunately I don't have that much good to say about targeting in the current version.

Tab targeting apparently works OK now, so the melee guys should be happy. Good for them. However,
    • Free targeting in R29 was about 85% perfect for an archer. Not much to fix, or even improve.

• Now it's more like 30%, also known as "seriously messed up".

These things have been said many times over. To sum up the main issues:

1. The lopsidedness of targeting is now even worse than in QA: The only way to get the focus point (reticule) in the middle of the character is to zoom all the way out, which is now just way too far. It's very close to being unplayable at that distance, but even that is still better than the lopsidedness.

2. The distracting, immersion-breaking wispy jumpy floaty red sniper crosshairballs are still here.

3. When the sniper hairball jumps onto a target's neck, the reticule (which is supposed to be the focus point for targeting) becomes an useless, almost invisible dot, making quick retargeting difficult. This is definitely the worst usability issue in the current release.

4. Often the targeting hairballs do not even work. A rabbit can often (not always) have the red sniper hairball on its neck, the focus point has turned into a dot, and I can shoot it with a truckload of arrows without causing any harm, like I was just shooting the ground.

5. The target lock release binding is fixed permanently to the Esc key, making target locking/cycling largely useless.

In other words:
    • The reticule should NEVER EVER turn into a dot in the middle of combat!
    • Fix the lopsidedness, or at the very least make it optional, so that one can freely choose an appropriate zoom level.
    • Target target lock release must be remappable. Otherwise target cycling becomes impossible to use efficiently, especially if using the ESDF keymapping for movement.
    • A world of NO to sticky red hairballs. Bring back the subtle highlight. Please.

Before at least the useless dot issue is fixed, I don't see it feasible to continue testing this release any further: it's simply unplayable.

7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Excellent feedback Helm, thank you!

8. Pickley

Pickley Avatar

I play melee, I'm not happy. I also found free targeting in R29 almost perfect.

Ice Queen and Oba Evesor like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Work on targeting is ongoing. I think we're getting much closer but still a half dozen issues open on it.

@helm, can you explain more what you mean by you only hit your target 30% of the time now vs 85% last time?

@all, I'm not seeing any issues getting a dead body as my target. Even shooting arrows or spells over a corpse is never a problem in my testing. Only way to even select the corpse is with shift click. UPDATE: there does seem to be an issue when the corpse is a player. Is that what you guys are seeing?

Oba, not using your camera for your attack direction in a game that uses attack angles is super confusing to most people. That works a lot better in games where it really doesn't care about your facing, only what you have targeted.

As for targeting difficulty with a specific key, I personally map mine to my mouse 3 and 4 button. I was using mouse 2 but I mapped that to moving. :) For those who don't know, mouse 0 is left button, mouse 1 is right button, mouse 2 is the scroll wheel click, and for those who have extra buttons, you'll just have to experiment to see what they are. I think we definitely need different mappings as currently I think most people end up remapping them.

As for why we don't just copy what other games do, uh, we tried and everyone lost their freakin' minds because we changed things! 2000+ message threads on why the heck would we change it people vs Oh god, finally you fixed it people. I feel like what we have this release is 85% of the way to a polished system and we just need to get a few more edge case and usability issues ironed out.

Chatele, Fister Magee and Oba Evesor like this.
  10. Chris

Can you tell me what is different in your experience? I'm confused by people saying this because nothing actually changed on targeting logic except we added back in the tab target stuff. I've seen multiple people complain about it though so I know I must be missing something.

11. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

R29 was almost perfect for a sytsem that was in for years and should have been 99% by then. If it wasn't by that time it was never gonna be. It was flawed.

This system is getting better, and while still clunky I can see a better future w/this system.

Noric likes this.
  12. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Come with me my good sir! Or just go stand in spiders somewhere. It may not be targeting a dead body, but its not hitting the target in front of me until I walk past the bodies.

Chatele and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

I agree with this, though I'm annoyed to see target cycling back.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

He/she wasn't talking about hit-rating but meant that targeting felt 85% perfect and now it's 30% perfect. Arbitrary numbers.

Alexander and helm like this.
  15. Pickley

Pickley Avatar

For me I think it's mostly the over the shoulder camera, it makes everything feel off. (Not just in combat, when I first logged in and tried to leave my house, I walked into the wall a couple of times.)

16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm... Have accidentally used "Gust" on a corpse during a heated combat session, quite often in fact during R29.

Haven't encountered any other skills acting in that manner though.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  17. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

until the dead pile up and I have to move :)

18. Chris

Ok, I think we just saw the problem and fixed it. It will be in the morning patch! I was casting lightning and not getting it but Burningtoad discovered that it had two different logic paths that and lightning was using the correct one.

What else you got? :p

losludvig, Chatele and Oba Evesor like this.
  19. helm

helm Avatar

Like @Gix already mentioned this does not refer to hit rate but how it previously felt like it was "almost there" ("85%") but has now taken big steps backwards ("30%"). Nothing that can't be fixed relatively easily, but still making free targeting almost unusable. The reticule becoming a dot is the worst single issue (try, for example, quickly shooting disabling shots to two fast melee mobs while they're chasing ya and a blinding shot to a nearby archer).

Oba Evesor likes this.
  20. Noric

Noric Avatar

@Chris The over the shoulder thing is really obnoxious not to be optional. I'm 80% zoomed out and off-kilter and it drives me crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.