On the contentious issue of gore...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Père Fouettard, Sep 26, 2013.

?

Should players be allowed to take body parts as trophies?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2013.
  1. Of course, pick your fancy! It's been a staple of demonstrating martial prowess throughout history.

34.5%
  2. If I don't have a necklace of fingers how else will people know how fierce I am?

6.9%
  3. Well, do I get the bounty without showing the head?

8.6%
  4. Sure, but let's not get carried away.

22.4%
  5. Nah, I get it but that's not really necessary.

12.1%
  6. Please, go back to your cave.

10.3%
  7. I won't notice either way.

5.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luitpold

Luitpold Avatar

I think you're right, the tone of this game is not particularly well suited to extreme violence on a level like Fallout or anything, but it would still be kinda cool if they went beyond conventions with such things.

It was an opinion, not a persuasive argument.

Kilhwch likes this.
  2. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

@MalakBrightpalm Funny, I agree with him on certain aspects; I think Disneyfying violence does a disservice to everyone by breeding ignorance about the horror that accompanies it. That said adding gore to SotA isn't even close to the top of my list of priorities though I imagine we can come up with something cheap yet workable and meaningful.
    But then while I agree it's a bit absurd to have so much gore in films go uncriticized while violent video games are condemned, that doesn't make any difference in my mind as to whether and how much gore should be in SotA.
    Also, there are much trollier posts out there.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Wait so your saying I can't carry around a bag of someones innards? :D

4. Robby

Robby Avatar

Your like me! >=-P HAHA!!
    But yea more than likely this game will not go to that extreme. That kind of violence is mainly for "cult classics" or whatever. Games like doom or duke nukem. Most people cant tolerate that stuff. Of course, im sure there will be a certain amount of goriness. RG knows just when to use it. Think of the murder scene in ultima 7 for example.

5. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

This is exactly what I was getting at with my previous post.

6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

You dont have to cut people's heads off, you know.
    Someone who is not as virtuous as you, tho, might want to.
    God.

7. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

This isn't about lore or the Avatar. It's about your journey as an avatar. Some will be more virtuous than others.

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

"Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gnash the skin;
    skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall;
    blood so red, so red, so sweet; sweet screams, pretty screams,
    singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams..."

Cheers.

9. Eligor

Eligor Avatar

Something relatively straight forward would suffice.

If you kill somebody, when you loot the body you may find a scalp/finger/whatever that you can pick-up and then trade-in (i.e. same as in Baldur's Gate, Skyrim, other games). Depending on the nature of the kill you'd trade them into the relevant good/bad guy for some gold or special item (when you've collected enough).

If the OP is referring to animations showing you cutting something off a dead body then no-thank-you-very-much.

10. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Personally I was thinking of something similar to what we saw in early UO where if you killed something you could "legally" take a blade to its corpse and get something out of it.
    I would say there should be more to it than killing something and then the body party you just happen to need for a quest is there on the corpse.
    Not that I would vote for dev resources going into extensive animations. Like you said, I don't care to see the details. It's enough to see your avatar kneel over and make a cutting/jerking motion - then you find the body part on the corpse.
    I guess the question then would be how does the game determine which member is severed?

Isaiah and TemplarAssassin like this.
  11. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

point your crosshair or whatever at a limb - sever it. Simple.

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I actually think that the idea of adding gore to DISCOURAGE violence, or make people "aware" of the horror of it, misses the point badly. It also totally misunderstands the audience. The people who would be seriously put off by digital gore on their screens won't be playing something like this, and by "something like this" I mean a video game. Gamers will say "Ooooh, blood spray." and keep moving. You aren't going to traumatize them. The vast majority will do whatever they were gonna do, and the graphics won't stop them. The minority, however, is the problem, because not ONLY will they not be traumatized, they will go wild and decorate every tree, house, fence, market stall, and random standing stone with innards. Braided, and with random organs and bits of bone laced in if the dev's go that far.

Disneyfying violence isn't even on my RADAR in terms of things about a video game that need fixing at game start. The graphix can be fixed later without disturbing the game at all.

13. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Really? You think that's a problem? Have you ever seen this happen in a game? Maybe in UO? And by game I don't mean some lineage free server for 12 year olds or some minecraft free server with schoolboys who decide to build some penises.

Wsye likes this.
  14. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Ha, I seem to remember Chris going over the submission "A Time to Penis" in one of the early scene jam reviews. We do seem to have a few minecraft enthusiasts among the community...

15. Robby

Robby Avatar

Is gore only bad when it involves players?
    So if I slay a dragon, zombie, or some other vicious beast is it alright if theres organs and blood involved in that?

16. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

I'd like to see corpses/remains on par with the Ultima 7s - not ridiculous but impossible not to notice. A little messy.

rild likes this.
  17. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

A box called 'gore' you can tick in the options settings would be good for those that are that way inclined.

There must be Blood as a bare minimum.

I would like to see damage represented graphically with cuts and all that jazz too.

Loss of limbs? Sure why not ....in extreme cases..... Maybe a massive crit on that killing blow.

I have no problem with heads being removable.

Ultima 7 had graphic moments. the Diablo series too!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.