The Inn

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by G Din, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendix

rendix Avatar

I hear ya. I definately want to see as many economic choices in the game as possible, player diversity and choice are the most valuable in my opinion.

Howdy from Tyler!

2. G Din

G Din Avatar

The Inns in UO were not great. U basically just logged out and there was a vendor to buy a few items. Other than that, they were not used to their full potential. My Inn would rock !

Caliya likes this.
  3. rendix

rendix Avatar

Will you have gambling in the back room?
    *Reaches for monacle*

Tarsilion, rild and Gunga Din like this.
  4. G Din

G Din Avatar

Much more than that "in the back room" ;) , mu ha ha !!

rild likes this.
  5. Balnir Morlemaine

Balnir Morlemaine Avatar

The only reason I am not now thinking about opening an inn is because I have always wanted to open a library.

In UO, I had a library going (a LONG time ago). I had lots of bookshelves, and would write books (and encourage others to do the same). I had a vendor who sold scrolls, runebooks, etc.

I am hoping they have similar technology for writing and distributing books like they had in UO! If they do, I intend to open a library. I will write, and I will encourage others to write, and will do much like I did back in The Day™.

6. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

We should probably forget inns everybody. The game developers are pushing housing and lots for sale. Providing or offering Inns would greatly negate the attraction for purchasing present or future housing for in-game use.

7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Not exactly true. There are plenty of reasons to get a house, number one being a place to stick your vendor and to show off those sweet decorations you have acquired. If you want to read my idea on instanced rooms in Inns, check this out. It has a list of limitations that make sure that the value of houses remains high, while still offering people a chance to have a place of their own.

Like any good tavern, liquor in the front, poker in the rear.

8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

While I agree that inns would be an interesting idea, i believe that the idea is moot; the developers have said a few times that there will be no instanced housing.

NirAntae likes this.
  9. rild

rild Avatar

I like the way they are making inns a roleplay experience. Basically you have to rent out rooms yourself with no guarantee. You can offer people use of your house, and even give them the ability to store things there if you want. The contract is not enforced, so you have to choose wisely (or get the money up front!). While I was originally pushing for a formal mechanism to handle this transaction, I think this method is about as realistic as it gets and encourages roleplaying around social spaces without creating a forced commodity. No harm in using our imaginations!

10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

While I agree with you in spirit, there is always the chance that someone is going to be a jerk about it and do some things that really detract from other people's enjoyment. You can role-play it as part of life, but I would much rather have the permissions and contract mechanics built-in. As much as it's fun when emergent behavior results, some things are better off enforced by the game rules to avoid the eventual heartbreak resulting from an ass taking advantage of someone on the internet.

11. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I'd actually be interested in running an inn, if my plan to be a herald doesn't pan out.

rild likes this.
  12. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

An Inn would be a great add on..... but I'm divided on whether it should be a player or computer running the Inn

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  13. G Din

G Din Avatar

If they are gonna depend on use to run an inn or tavern etc, then I agree. Making Specialized housing obtainable in game and/or via the add-on store is a great idea.

Would be cool to purchase tavern or inn housing floorplans. What is the Bear Tavern gonna use? Right? Which housing style can they convert into a tavern easily?

Good stuff..

Tarsilion and rild like this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't think it's their plan to depend on us to run an inn or tavern for the long run, they just don't have the resources to do it in Episode I.

15. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

I think the player should have the option of acting as the bartender or innkeeper. However when they're offline or away an NPC assistant should take over (to ensure that the establishment continues to remain operational).

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This could be handled with a vendor. Just supply him with the drinks and snacks. All we need is the choice between different conversation templates so their personalities match up to the job. Later on, if they allow you to rent out rooms they could have that be handled by a vendor as well.

rild likes this.
  17. rild

rild Avatar

I believe this will be possible with the system as planned, bc we can hire vendors already. I wonder if they'll be programmable with the name of the bar and greetings etc. Hmm..

18. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I just realized. Herald, bartender, innkeeper, brewer -- there's a common thread here. Apparently, my dream job is "NPC".

19. G Din

G Din Avatar

No NPC can match my Bartending Skills !!

rild likes this.
  20. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Oh? Well, in that case, I'll take a Brittany Ale!

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.