Benefits of being in a guild

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Trapper, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapper

Trapper Avatar

Sorry if this is already posted, please merge if so.

One thing that I felt WoW tried to do well (and in some cases, succeeded) was making guild membership really helpful outside of the social aspect. The guild could gain status, complete tasks, gain bonuses by having certain members accomplishing certain quests (like 10% bonus to gathering for all guild members, etc.). This was, of course, on top of a true guild bank, messaging system, etc. that some earlier MMO's (UO included) never really had. (At least when I was playing)

On top of that, one thing I think may be helpful is guild to guild combat on a scenario situation, like pirating/defending a ship vs another guild, tower defense vs. seige, etc. Only guilds of a certain status/size/accomplishment could have these types of ships or take on these types of quests. I was just wondering how far into the guild benefits system the thought process had gone. To me this would not only increase the social aspect of the game by encouraging guild membership, but also please the PvP crowd with some more elite competition.

Thank you for reading from a relative newbie to this site.

Kambrius and Smyrno like this.
  2. Smyrno

Smyrno Avatar

Great ideas Trapper! One thing that sort of destroys the realism for me is guild chat without some in game mechanic that rationally explains why I can chat with everyone halfway across the globe. UO had communication crystals, maybe we could have a similiar in game item in SoTA that was maybe a tad friendlier to work with.

3. stile

stile Avatar

Suggesttion: Have your guild create its own RP jsutification as to how it communicates, so its unqiue to you.

In the multitude of guilds ive been a member in that where RP heavy we have had reasons from that of pigeons, dragonlings, earrings that where magically enchanted, etc.

Let your imaganitaion flow and run with it :)

4. DEricF

DEricF Avatar

I personally dislike the WoW style guild perks. It forces players to join a guild who may otherwise have no interest in doing so simply because they are at a large disadvantage if they don't. This almost always ends up being hundreds of 1 to 3 man guilds because many of the players don't really want to be in a guild, they just want the bonus. I ended up doing similar in WoW with my alts so they would get the experience bonuses and such. I think that is one of the reasons I ended up quitting the game. ..well that and panda's.

If guilds were to have perks, they should be engineered towards making it easier for them to interact socially like free postage on mail when sending to other guild members. Perhaps the ability for guild members to enable discounts for other guild members buying items from their vendors. No experience bonuses or skill bonuses simply for being a member though..

TEK, NirAntae, ataboy and 2 others like this.
  5. Trapper

Trapper Avatar

I can certainly see your viewpoint and think limiting it to guild related things can be a good compromise. Maybe guild members with houses can do a guild house to guild house transport system or other perks related to guild members/houses/vendors, etc.. I still think guild related quests or special missions you can unlock would fit into the spirit of what you are talking about.

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.