Question about Paths

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Twiztid, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

Hello, sorry if this has been covered already, or maybe I have the complete wrong idea about how the whole system works. I tried search for "changing path", but couldn't find anything. I started off by getting the path of the mage. After a little reading, people seem to dislike this path, people tend to not like the fire, or the path in general. I've come to the consensus that the best path to start on at this point is the Path of Love.

Am I stuck on the Path of Truth? is there a way I can change to the Path of Love? Or does it not even work that way at all? Like, can I just start talking to different people or go to a different place and automatically be on the Path of Love?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I just started playing for the first time last night, and I really have no idea how this system works.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Acred likes this.
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Consider paths as only quests. They are simply a story line and nothing else. You can pick any skills you want.

For example, I always pick the path of truth, i.e. Mage, but then train in heavy armor shields and swords. Your initial path just determines which storyline you start on. You can ignore the story completely as well, if you choose.

Acred and enderandrew like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Your choice at character creation determines starting skills and which story line you start first. But you are expected to eventually do all three virtue quest lines and you can practice/train any skills you want.

Acred likes this.
  4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Twiztid, There are 3 quest lines Love, Truth, and Courage. It matters not which you start with. If you answered the Oracles questions as you honestly feel, then the path that was selected fits yours heart (to an extent). There are arguments for each path good and bad.

Acred and enderandrew like this.
  5. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

Well in actuality, I was given the Love path first, but when I saw that was an archer, I chose to switch to a mage. Which I am now regretting. I also started the same time as my roommate who is also on the Love path. We play side by side so it is kinda in the best interest for us to be on the same Path.

So does that mean there is no way for me to switch again so that I"m starting with the Love path like my roommate?

Acred likes this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

In addition to what has been said,
    Welcome @Twiztid !

The confusion about the paths is completely understandable. Although I wouldn't say that people "dislike the path of the mage" (=Path of Truth). As a matter of fact, it is the path that I myself chose. The problem is, the game is still in Early Access stage of development, and the only path where the quests are complete is the Path of Love. That is why the game itself has tips recommending to new players that if they want the best game experience at this time they should choose the Path of Love. And it is why if you choose another path you are directed to the Path of Love quests regardless. Once the game is finished, each of the three paths will give the player a good questing experience in their own right. Most players who have been playing the game for a long time have already tried out all three paths and have been following their development, so they know what is going on. New players don't have that advantage so it is all very confusing. If you chose the Path of Truth, you will have received the bonesteel dagger from the scavenger in Blood River. Later on, when the quest for the Path of Truth has been added to the game, you will be able to follow that quest in the town of Aerie.

Once the game is launched, players will choose any path and have a good experience. Each path gives the avatar certain starting skills and equipment, but in this game, avatars can stop using the skills they have and start training and using other skills, so a change of "profession" (e.g. from mage to warrior) is quite easy. When players visit the starting scenes of other Paths, they pick up the quests of those other paths, so the "quest content" of each path is available to everyone eventually.

The price we pay for playing during Early Access is that our quest experience can be poor and confusing, depending on the path taken. That is the only reason to choose the Path of Love right now. The advantage of playing during Early Access is the fun in watching the game develop, seeing features and the storyline gradually being added and the excitement of helping to improve the game by finding and reporting bugs. To people who don't enjoy those things and want a polished overall experience I would recommend taking a break and starting over once the game has been released at the end of the year or in early 2017.

Whatever you decide, I wish you happy adventuring!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Ronan and Acred like this.
  7. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

My hubby started last night and his whole scenario at Solace Bridge was totally different than mine. The whole place was on fire...Charlotte Gray was not with the elf she was in the shack just inside the entrance and was really weird. When i started yesterday morning the bridge was not on fire....i had to go through the gate to meet Edvard and Charlotte was not with the elf still. I wish if they were going to tweak or change things we could get a heads up. Also the bottleneck of people in Soltown is horrible when trying to talk to npcs. Half the time cant even get a dialogue with them. Oh well will try again later. Going to log on with hubby tonight and take him out exploring

8. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

So then, even though I just started out, could I head over to where the path of truth starts out and pick up the starting quests for the path of truth now? And just start doing that?

I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to get on the same path as my buddy so we can play through it together, I would also like to be on the path that is the most complete. Do I have to reroll my character and choose the Path of Truth? Or can I just go there right now, even though my character is only a few hours old, and start on the path of truth?

Also, if I delete my character and start a new character, what happens to my rewards in the bank? I hope I get to keep them, or do they disappear?

Acred likes this.
  9. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before, but basically, I started on the Path of Truth, and I want to be on the Path of Love. My buddy who's computer is set up right next to mine, and we play together side by side is on the Path of Love, plus the Path of Love is the most finished and polished, so that's what I want to do. We got the game to play together. If he is going to be on a completely different quest line than me, it makes no sense for us to play side by side. And if I have to delete my character and start over, what happens to the rewards I've claimed in the bank?

There's no way for me to travel back to the beginning and change my path?

Acred likes this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

So then, even though I just started out, could I head over to where the path of truth starts out and pick up the starting quests for the path of truth now? And just start doing that?
    In your original post you say you started out as a mage and that is already the Path of Truth which starts in the Blood River Massacre scene and which leads to a dead end right now (because the questline in Aerie isn't in the game yet).

I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to get on the same path as my buddy so we can play through it together, I would also like to be on the path that is the most complete. Do I have to reroll my character and choose the Path of Truth? Or can I just go there right now, even though my character is only a few hours old, and start on the path of truth?
    The only path that can be completed now is the Path of Love. I assume that is the path your buddy is playing. The devs recommend that all players do the quests from that path (they all start in Soltown). So even if you started out on another path, you can go to Soltown, speak with the inhabitants and complete all the quests. The Path of Love officially starts with the player being transported to the Battle of Solace Bridge scene, where you meet Edvard and receive notes from him to give to Guard Stanley in Soltown. But even if you start out on the Path of Truth in Blood River, you meet Edvard and he will give you those same notes. (This might be a temporary measure to help players on the Path of Truth talk to Guard Stanley when they reach Soltown with the boat). So you needn't re-roll your avatar - you can just start doing the quests from the other paths. Similarly, if you started on the Path of Love (the complete one) and travel to one of the other starting scenes, you will receive the initial quest item for the other paths. But you won't be able to finish those quest lines because they're not in the game yet in a finished state. So it makes no sense to start out on the Path of Love and switch to another path.

I myself chose the Path of Truth, which starts in Blood River. If this path were finished, I would have continued on to Aerie to complete the Path of Truth quest line. Instead, I took the boat to Soltown and started doing the Path of Love quests.

Also, if I delete my character and start a new character, what happens to my rewards in the bank? I hope I get to keep them, or do they disappear?
    You can delete your character at any time and start over. All the items in your bank will still be there for the new character, so to be safe, deposit all the items in your inventory in your bank before deleting your character. Unfortunately, gold can't be deposited in the bank, so if you have a lot of gold you need to find a different solution, e.g. first spend it and store the purchases in your bank or give your gold to a trustworthy player to hold for you until you re-appear. By the way, if you own property, you can also delete your character and your property will still be there when you appear with your new character. That is because any property you own and your in-game bank account are linked to your account.

I hope this helps you a little.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Acred and Spoon like this.
  11. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

THANK YOU SO MUCH KARA!
    You have fully answered all of my questions. I couldn't have asked for better answers :p

Acred and Kara Brae like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Ah, my last post crossed yours :). My last post contained the long answer. The short answer is: you don't have to start over. You can complete the quests of the Path of Love with your buddy. :)

Many experienced players are doing just that - starting on another path and then completing the Path of Love. That is because they know what starting skills are given to players on each path. I myself want to be a mage, so I started on the Path of Truth solely for the convenience of receiving starting skills that will continue to be useful for me. I don't want to be an archer, so I don't need the archery starting skills given to players who start out on the Path of Love. However, it is merely an inconvenience to switch skills, so I didn't have to do that.

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.