It's necessary to see PLAYERS on SINGLE MODE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatsu., Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CampersCrispin

CampersCrispin Avatar

Wow you certainly live up to grumpy hermit. What makes you think you have to waste your time on every new player in the game? How could that possibly make you angry? If you think every new player is going to take their time to read up a lot on the game you have some insane expectations.

I can sympathize with having a different niche game and generally not accepting and caring much for our new generation "mmorpg player" , but being so shortsighted and unwelcoming is absolutely mind blowing. I've already asked a few newbie questions both in game and on discord, and I find your attitude and response just as bad as the hateful people who continuously bash sota or any other game for that matter. They want to drive people away from the game, but it seems so do you.

Curiously enough some of the people who are disappointed in sota and who constantly bash and troll it on for example reddit often uses your attitude against sota and it's players. I seriously hope that is not the case.

How can you be angry at people who did not try the alpha for whatever reason? In what world is that even remotely reasonable? I'm really at a loss here.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I would love to play in multiplayer online all the time because I do like seeing how busy the game is... unfortunately, multiplayer online for me is very laggy... single player online, not so much...

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If I'm in single player mode then I don't want to see other players and I don't want other players seeing me. Period.

4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Why would a PvE player go to an area where other players are, when the other players can prevent them from getting the resources they normally obtain from SPO and friends only mode unobstructed?

I'd like to see more incentives for multi-player environments. I'd like to see 'multi-player only' areas with bumped up resource nodes or unique resources, treasure, etc.

I'd also like to see a multi-player only NPC town, and multi-player only PvP NPC town. Shardfalls should be multi player only as well imo.

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

It blows my mind that mechanics are arranged to encourage players to play single player online mode for the grind... Until recently, I really thought SPO was just for folks who didn't want to play the MMO... then a lightbulb came on when I learned that the resources from SPO were part of the MMO economy... I'd definitely support some locking down of PVP scenes in SPO.

6. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Ok, too LAGGY... not want to see other players... not want that other player see ME....
    A LOT OF REASONS FOR EVERY ONE TO LEAVE THING LIKE ARE NOW...

OK.. developers on future (i dont' request this now) ... can add a SUMMARY (like on PVP AREAS) on how many players are on a scene when a player enter it... ( NO NAMES.. ONLY A NUMBER)
    maybe this is not REALISTIC.. but the SIGLE-MODE and FRIEND-MODE makes SOTA like MATRIX.

7. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Speaking of Single Player mode......do I have a separate charachter, and Manor and stuff mirroring whatt I have in the Multi-Player on Line? or do I work from the same home location as I choose in one for the other?.....I suppose I could just go and try it out...

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

SPO should hide your online status on the friends list.. not sure why seeing ghosts would be a good idea in MPO..

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What? Are you suggesting that people playing in single player mode should see other players? This would go against the whole purpose of this game mode. People want to play in single player because they do not want to see other players!

But it should speak for itself that so many players want to play alone in SP mode... maybe SP mode should not take the backseat in development if so many people are preferring this mode ;)

Dantuin, Sir_Hemlock and Fister Magee like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've been saying for a while now that if they limited the amount of player-to-player encounters in the wild, or in many cases just increased scene size, people would be less incentivized to go into SPO.

During these first few days, for instance, East Perennial Trail was filled with players. Its a tiny scene, but everyone wanted to go in because its a starter area and useful for Soltown quests. I talked with many people, and they said they were going in SPO to avoid this even though they didn't want to, because they liked seeing other people in the game outside the scene. So, yea, we had a particularly high served population after final wipe, and it may die down, but hopefully we'll continue to have a high population as the game continues. The game should be designed for high server population, and should not incentivize people to log out of MPO to go to SPO by cramming small hunting scenes like East Perennial Trail with many players.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

When playing other MMOs I mostly see people running around alone, ignoring others, doing their quests alone. Sometimes I see a group. But mostly people are alone. For a party or a social event they meet but when doing quests, following the story, they are doing this alone most of the time. At least this is how I experience it. So I am not surprised that players of SotA seem to prefer SPO mode.

Also as to high population: According to Steam Charts there are 386 people playing SotA right now. All-time peak was 601 players being online at the same time. I think a standard server should suffice...

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  12. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

This would be a good idea. I have not played in awhile so I have to ask: What is the max players per scene/hex now? 100? 200? It is interesting to note this because after you figure in all the ignores/blocks/filtering of pvp/non pvp and friends/acquaintances of friends that an individual will actually be in the same hex with.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know, I think its probably different from scene to scene and should be. I expect towns to be bustling with activity, but swamps with undead skeletons and zombies to be lonely and quiet, and only rarely encountering another player, unless its a friend or party members.

Ravicus Sales likes this.
  14. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Do those numbers reflect also the players, who did not link their account with Steam? I wouldn't think so.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So maybe it's a few hundred more - most of them playing in SPO mode according to what people write here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.