PVP Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cind, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cind

Cind Avatar

I am not talking about shardfall. I am talking about planned events. I might be wrong, but I don't see anyone on this thread that participates in the tournaments against another. If I was a PVP'er and entered tournaments, I would be proud and I would want others to be able to attend in safety if they were Non PVP. I think this would be great entertainment for SOTA. I don't think this helps my popularity at all. I could bake cookies and bring cookies since I am a [removed name by Berek]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    Bubonic likes this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It would be easy if a Lot in a PvE zone could be flagged as PvP... I would have sworn that this was possible.

@Lady Cind, I understand what you're trying to do. We are of the same mind. I also appreciate the skill involved in PvP though I do not enjoy it myself, nor am I likely to participate. I would, however, like you love to be able to see it. Given a choice between spectating, and opening myself up to becoming involved in activity I don't wish to participate in, I will pass on the spectating.

Acred likes this.
  3. RedEyeZz

RedEyeZz Avatar

This is my 2 cents ( I'm a future pvper/ pvp legend ;) ) the way I look at it is this, player owned events should be controlled by the players holding the event. If it was official tournaments held by the staff or some type of arena, then I could see there being other areas for spectators to sit safe and watch. Truth is, player ran pvp events draw in the good, the bad, and the ugly. Don't take away that from the pvprs or pks alike. There will always be people to stand up for the non pvprs, but the pks should have a place in the game as well, you may not like the idea of a player just killing another player for no reason at all, but truth be told, others do. That's the whole reason some people play the game, for the opportunity to pk innocent people. It's how guild wars will start, bringing more fun to the game. It's a needed evil in the game. Like I've seen, there are plenty of player solutions, guards, hiring mercenaries to protect your spectators and charging people, having consensual duals in non pvp towns, and more, there is enough options for players to protect others. If it was a staff ran event or tournament then I could see there being other mechanics needed, but since we are simply talking about player ran pvp events in open flagged pvp zone, then there should be player ran solutions. That's just my 2 cents, this won't be last you hear of me I promise ;). Thanks for listening

Lady Cind and Ravicus Sales like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Why fix something that isn't broken.
    That's not about Elegance, that's about people hosting Events and beeing to lazy to take care of Security measures.

Ravicus Sales likes this.
  5. Cind

Cind Avatar

I must say that I love and respect everyone's input. We get to see this from all sides. I feel that we have a very good discussion going on.

Also giving my other opinion about the view of some of these events. I have been in events in some of these events in the game where I could hardly see what is happening. So I guess when someone is building one of these places for others to watch, maybe before they get everything set up they should have some players look at see how easy it is to see the event. IMO and it was not perfect, but the best view that I had was not too high above the event, but at the same level with stairs and bleachers.
    The closer it was to the stage area the better it was. It was nothing like the one time that I consented to a PVP match with my friend and I got to see very close up what happens. That probably excited me more about PVP than anything. BTW, he did
    take it easy on me since I am a [removed name by Berek] as PVP'ers like to call us. I must say though that I did not have my cookies on hand at that time. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    Berek likes this.
  6. Cind

Cind Avatar

I did not know that you could not use the word. I first saw it on the thread here and it did not offend me. I don't take it as a put down. : )

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I think it has a lot to do with the way that it is used.

8. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

No need to apologize, and I am glad you did not get reprimanded. Its a good sign that people are not so serious anymore. In the past no matter how the term was used the moderation would at minimum moderate your post and give you a warning. Probably because some people are zealous with the report button. I am glad to see berek more forgiving than some of the past :)

Edit: And I am glad that you are not offended by the term. People should not be so easily offended at text. thank you for mentioning it :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Lady Cind likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Berek likely doesn't know the history of the term nor its origin as a term of derision.

10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Which term? I may indeed not know :).

11. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

the term ********.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

"********" was coined as a term of derision during the early days of Ultima Online for those who didn't appreciate or wish to participate in PvP.

Its use in these forums has been to date a moderation offense because of its origin.

Personally, I've never been offended by the term even when used in an obviously derisive manner, and I'm one of the Originals.

13. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Thank you for your statement on how you've never been offended. I appreciate it. It is to me just slang for pure pve'r. Just like the therm PK is slang for hardcore pvp.

Fister Magee and Lady Cind like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're welcome, but I only speak for myself. I make no claim as to the feelings of any other about the use of the term.

"Pure PvE'r" wasn't the original intent... It was clearly intended as an insult back in the day.

15. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Ya, I played UO way back then also. To me it was more of a challenge to try to get someone to go to fel. Yes it was insulting, but people trash talk in pvp all the time to get a rise out of them to get them to cross over. Of course there where some hardcore pk's that went out of their way to humiliate people that would not do pvp. I think though however "********" was a much more polite term than some of the other expletives that where used lol.

Lady Cind likes this.
  16. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And the effect this had on me was to drive me from the game before the Trammel/Feluca split. I don't pay money for entertainment to be insulted, or trash talked, or humiliated. I don't find it entertaining and certainly won't pay for the privilege. No doubt those that enjoyed those activities would count me leaving as a victory. So be it.

I have from day one supported the inclusion of PvP in Shroud of the Avatar on the one and only condition that I be able to opt-out and not be forced to participate, and have doned my Forum Warrior hat many times in the early days to defend that position against those who saw their definition of Fun as the only viable one, and were loath to make allowances for anyone who might not want to play it.

Here's a meme that came across my Facebook page today:

[​IMG]

I pointed out then, and will point out now that this meme is as applicable to Pokemon as it is to Sports, or Cosplay, or Nascar, or Furry Conventions. There is no one definition of fun, there is no one definition of entertainment. Do not assume everyone enjoys what you do, and just let them have fun doing what They find fun. If you (in the greater sense, I'm not calling you out because I don't know You, Ravicus) enjoy dancing on people's corpses, and using emotes to feign defecating on them (and here's the important bit) and they do too, more power to you. Go have fun... with other people that want to have fun the same way you do. If you (again in the greater definition of you) think playing dressup or barbie's playhouse, or Pure PvE is silly... so be it... Just let them have fun. Just let them enjoy things. There is no requirement that everyone enjoy the same things, and Shroud of the Avatar has things for a wide variety of people to enjoy.

I'm sorry... that turned into a much longer post than I'd originally intended.

Acred likes this.
  18. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Oh I agree with your whole statement. I am not against pure pve at all. I also am not against pure pvp. I just wish people would not be offended so much and take everything so personally. I admit though, many find the "forum pvp" a game itself. Also I admit many people do take it overboard. Yes everyone is different and take things differently, as this forum contains people from many different countries and nationalities. What is kosher there might not be kosher here. We in general, as adults should be able to handle situations, especially voluntary ones. We have the ability on these forums and in game to block and ignore people. Then we can have what you ask for, to be left alone to do and be what we want. Once one has identified something offensive, then they can remove it from their vision, but it also leaves the other to still have his voice, and if he offends to many people then he is in a room or a thread all by himself. We have the tools, and the technology :)

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Tools and Technology replacing simple respect for other's thoughts and positions... Now we're into a much larger subject, and one that we can't and shouldn't attempt to take on here.

20. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

what i am saying does eliminate the forum pvp and the moderation if people use the tools given to us. of course i wish there was more respect, on all fronts. Much of the time respect is given by just walking away and letting others say their piece. :) I agree, this has went off topic for some time and I will be done on this tangent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.