Worst form of travel ever the World Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morbeous, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I absolutely LOVE the map!

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

<boggle> Wha... What???

Birko likes this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The over world is not a map. By def, a map is for finding locations and planning a route. You cannot do these things when on the over world. You need to search around, or look at a real map to find directions.

4. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I enjoy wander over Novia. I think it's a great way to travel. With the random encounters and what not. I just wish there were other ways to traverse the lands, horse maybe even horse / buggy for fast travel that costs gold ? The mages could "recall" around. The potential is there, and the map can easily be expanded to make it even larger as time goes on!

I just wish I could get fully into this game. I have obligations though.

5. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Just send a message to the devs, tell them how many you'd have killed and what you wanted them to drop, have it put in your account and you'll collect when you get 'round to it.

6. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I understand the computer will handle it...I may have misspoke: I do not close things before doing something else because I NEED to, but just because that is the way I operate...I offered in that post as a possible explanation re: why I don't seem to have much load time going from area to area. Same with my explanation re: the two drives on my computer...I was not saying: "This is how it should be...", I just said this is how this computer is configured, based on advice of others (because I am computer illiterate), and whether it is "right way" or wrong way of having it set up, I honestly do not know...only that as shown by my "specs" in that post, I do not have a super-computer, and my load times from one area to another are just a few seconds, rarely over 6 - 8 seconds. Why? I have no clue -- but that was why I offered the information regarding this computer, in case it had anything to do with it. You are correct, multitasking is not reserved for a particular age group, and I should not have phrased it in that context -- but I rarely have more than one thing open/running at a time -- does that help with my load times -- again I have no clue, but mentioned it in that post as a possibility.

7. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

Just an fwi. Unless your in window mode and not full screen it can cause the loading of new scenes to stop. When you alt tab. Maken the loading take longer. Also if you read the known bug report. They have not finished optimizing the game. when they do finish the loading could be cut by 90%. Also Unity them Self have some major bugs we are waiting for them to fix that is currently cause of current crashes and loading problems have an ssd and it does get maxed out sometimes just when another player gets in view. Also 4k is a lot laggyer then run in in 2k.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  8. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Next you're going to tell me it's ...

... wait for it ...

Still in Alpha™

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Call it anything you like, the fact remains it IS "Pre-release", thankfully....
    To me that means we can still bug report and give feedback so things will be good at "Release" ...

Fister Magee and Budner like this.
  10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

This.

11. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

That's all well and good, although it's incredibly unrealistic and 'immershun' breaking to think that there aren't supply caravans a person could hitch a ride with.

Maybe not even have it the way Warcraft does with a travel 'port' in many towns...maybe only have a single portal in each main city that takes you to another main city...So, Ardoris, Owl's head, brittany, etc...that's it. I can deal with only a few then having to walk the rest, but there should be some.

This game doesn't need to be totally simplish and guiding players the way a lot of MMO's do, however WOW when it came out still made players read the quests, didn't have markers and players still needed to find their way around. Vanilla wow was probably the best wow. Portal doesn't need to go fully that route, but keeping their core values while adopting some things that made other games successful could only help.

12. Cramit845

Cramit845 Avatar

I will say that the loading times do get frustrating and I do run a pretty good pc. Only a year old at this point. I would love for it to be more open world and possibly larger zones but the loading times aren't game breaking for me. Just wish they were a little fewer and far between.

Derium likes this.
  13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Nope. It's early release. ;)

14. Jasper8282

Jasper8282 Avatar

Honestly, I hope they do put in some sort of system like UO. Having the ability to mark runes and sell runebooks to people is great. I don't mind walking around in the world map, but going from Soltown to Owl's Head is a really long run and quite boring. Maybe it is just me, but I've only had one random encounter from the world map. Did they lower the percentage of this happening in Release 32?

15. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

So the overland map in SotA is deja-vu for me… it’s reminds me a lot of the overland map in Neverwinter Nights 2 – Storm of Zehir and I loved it. In my own nwn2 world I created a similar map and expanded the functionality to include random “dungeons” appearing in places (anything from an encampment, a long lost crypt, a cave, etc…). So besides the wondering monsters that could pull you into a scene you might stumble on to some long lost crypt and be able to explore it.

Initially my players thought things should persist once found, but the idea was that these were things that were really buried and hard to find in the first place and once you left would be hard to ever find again. So either explore it now for possible riches or forgo it.

It also allowed me to create NPC’s that could generate ‘random’ quests to a temporary ‘random’ location on the overworld map.

I’m hoping SotA goes the same route someday. I’d love to be able to chat with some guy in a tavern and ‘learn’ about a lost crypt he stumbled on once… and then go out and find it.

16. Cramit845

Cramit845 Avatar

I don't really see it as a long run to Soltown to Owl's head but I would agree that more random encounters happening while traversing the over world map would be awesome. Still have yet to have one happen but maybe that's because of the area I stay in.

17. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

i'd not care if I had my signed cloth map to look at and use it as a map.

anyone else thinking of getting theirs framed?

18. Kuvu

Kuvu Avatar

If people are having to you a source outside of the game to do a basic function as navigate that is telling you there is a problem. Another point are the maps in game, they are totally useless to try to find anything O yes you can see your location but unless you read the runes you have no idea what the map is actually telling you. The whole runic thing is cool in thought but functionally it is not. Also when you turn the translations on for novia you cant read them half the time because of some graphics glitch dealing with the horizon or something.

19. Kuvu

Kuvu Avatar

In a prior rendition they had orbs that you could use to teleport to locations which i wish would come back. Add a cost or something to them (not an insane price mind you) The navigation is one of the main hindrances to new people in this game.

20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It's not a map. I'm sure navigation will come easier and it will become memorized to you if you play a little bit frankly. Real maps will likely come in the future, the in-game maps are few and nothing to do with all the new scenes.. but hang in there, early access and all that..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.