Worst form of travel ever the World Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morbeous, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morbeous

Morbeous Avatar

The map is awful. Really who thought of this as a good idea to travel from town to town. First thing is you dont have a clue where they are so you wander around aimlessly for hours. Please make travelling from place to place easier.

Ice Queen and Josh Randall like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

yup... make it like when you go out of town a map will appear with all the locations on it... so players will just click on the location and get transported there... that would be freaking awesome...

3. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

Now I do admit, the clipping could be a lot better. And it will be as the game gets closer to release. But I like the overhead minimap and the way we travel. It's unique, and kinda refreshing. Plus I like that everything is not spelled out for you. You can find maps of the world online. There is no GPS in Novia my friend.

4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't see what the overland map has to do with not knowing where towns are. Not knowing where everything is just comes with starting a new game.

Net, Quenton, Stevvcash and 8 others like this.
  5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

another idea... maybe have a slash command like /goto soltown which is available to everyone with no restriction... man... that would be amazing... it's quick, fast and no time wasted... which is cool...

6. Curt

Curt Avatar

I wish was a minimap of the world you can show when on the overworld.
    A map with a f0g for places you not explored yet.

Would be terrible with a list of locations you simply had to click to travel to.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

@curt,

They were planning to add an inventory object Map of Novia last I heard, but were waiting until they were sure everything was finalized.

8. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

SotA will probably not have instant travel like your talking about Curt. However, I would not be surprised to see magic users gain spells that will allow them to teleport themselves and others from location to location. Akin to travelling from the Wheel of Time. You will need to know the location your at fairly well and know roughly where your going. Due to the destruction of the moons I do not think we will see the moongates again....

Arc and 4EverLost like this.
  9. BiggieD

BiggieD Avatar

I like the travelling system. There's maps online to show you where to go. There's also the option to add English names underneath the Runic names which is cool

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the overworld map. Would having a non-instanced scene architecture be better? Sure it would, but it would also cost a ton of money we didn't and don't have. So this is great.

11. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I like the Overland Map, and the travel via it -- I use http://sotamap.com/ and have no problem finding things, and I enjoy discovering new places on my own. The map linked to above is sometimes a little out-of-date, so sometimes I find P.O.T.'s and NPC/PRT's that are not yet on the map, which makes it fun to explore.

If you're looking for this button, this game may not be for you.
    [​IMG]

12. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Hyperbole much?

The overland map may not be everyone's preference, but when was the last RPG you've played that had the map locations all given to you from the beginning?

Miracle Dragon and Womby like this.
  13. Morbeous

Morbeous Avatar

You shouldn't need to refer to online maps though. The game should have a map with locations marked. Travelling on the world map is a pain as you don't know what direction to go in and can be walking around for ages looking for a town.

SQiRL likes this.
  14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Those maps will be provided. Keep in mind that the overland map just recently went through an overhaul and polish pass.

15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This is the whole point of the game, it's not spoon feeding you information. You go out, and discover it yourself. You learn how to get around the more you get around. :)

16. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

Ok, so if you run outside right now and decide that your going to drive across the country to Flint, Michigan. You can innately find your way there without any maps, or GPS, or any help whatsoever?

GPS doesnt exist in Novia, and maps that you carry in game are already a thing. If you decide your going to go from Soltown to Brittany, your going to have to plot out how to get there.

Six months from now when you've learned the lands of Novia, your going to be able to make some of these trips blindfolded. Ok, I turn left at this bridge, I skirt this mountain range and then go north.

Go look up a old Ultima game and play that. No maps there either. Shroud is a return to a older style of playing. Some people are going to like it, some are not. Everyone who stays will have to adapt accordingly.

JemAs, Glider, Hazard and 3 others like this.
  17. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Dumb post. Just because you don't know where you're going it doesn't make the map bad. You should ask NPC's or do something to research where you are going. If I jumped in my car wanting to go to Dallas TX, just because I don't know automatically how to drive there, it doesn't make the roads or vehicle travel bad.

18. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

What are you talking about? The overland map is already fast travel. I would have preferred it to take an hour or more to travel across the entire world. But you can't please everyone all the time, so I just have to accept it the way it is. :D

Stevvcash likes this.
  19. Morbeous

Morbeous Avatar

In Ultima you have a map. You can also use a Moongate to get to towns. Much better than wandering aimlessly around

chuck5086 likes this.
  20. Lained

Lained Avatar

Once you get your bearings there's much less aimless wandering, I like that it gives you a sense of the world.

cartodude and Audacity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.