Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Interacting with mouse clicks

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Nazarax, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazarax

Nazarax Avatar

I am having trouble since Release 32 with not being able to double click effectively. It works intermittently. Any suggestions?

Mischievous Dragon likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

At the moment, double clicks and double key taps don't work well with low FPS. One option is to raise your FPS; to do that, either lower your graphics settings, or reduce the size of your game window.

Otherwise, you can use the E key, which I think functions in both the mouselook mode and interactive mode, and has the same function as a double click, performing an action.

3. Nazarax

Nazarax Avatar

I was testing it this morning with different resolutions. It seems to clear up when I lower the resolution. That stinks though. I just got a new PC with a lot better graphics!!!

4. mjdiener00

mjdiener00 Avatar

Yep that worked for me - thanks!

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The basic problem is that (apparently) the event loop only notes the time when it sees processes an event (mouse, key, whatever), and only checks events synchronously between frames. This really screws with double-click timing (as well as other more subtle effects, like try typing a / command quickly). Ditto for holding down modifier keys, such as shift-click, or click-and-drag. (Drag something really fast from your inventory screen and it ignores where you clicked and instead starts at where the mouse position is when it got around to handling the click!)

I learned a long long time ago from programming for the old MacOS that you need to keep time and modifier keys with the events if you want proper responsiveness. I suspect that all of this behavior came about from standard Unity example code, so I don't know what is really available to them. I have in the past suggested that they could use a separate thread just to read and queue events properly, but I have no idea if that is even possible with Unity without full engine code access.

At the very least, adding a config slider bar for double-click time threshold would help A LOT. It is just set way way too short right now.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  6. Thud

Thud Developer Emeritus

Sub
    Submitted for review.

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Sarizaddi

Sarizaddi Avatar

FYI, It may be tied it to some double click register. I can double click on one subject, and not any subject thereafter. So double click Arabella, but then not the mirror or anything else. Close and re-open refreshes this, so I close and re-open then I can double-click the mirror...but nothing else. Close and re-open, double click a door, and then I can't double click anything else unless I close and re-open the game. I can then double-click something else, like the Oracle, but then I can't double-click anything else (like the door to leave) unless I close and reopen. Sorry for the redundancy of my wording. Just outlayed the path I took trying to work thru the starting area.

When restarting the game, the GUI still shows my mouse cursor as the Windows Cursor and will double-click something in the game. After I double click, it now shows as the game cursor but doesn't double-click.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If the devs can't find good low-end systems to test on, I can be asked to come to the Port offices to demonstrate low-performance system issues, for the low price of "smiles". But you guys are closer to the Goodwill computer store than I am, so there. It's just that my 4-year old Latitude aka "The Potato" (that cost me a mere $150 used) seems to have just the perfect amount of low-end performance. I still find it funny when people complain about getting "only" 30fps, when I'm happy to see 10fps.

And the E key helps so much, really it does. There's probably a few more places it should work (like crafting), but it's a new idea, so it takes time to find those.

9. gabiosz

gabiosz Avatar

Same here on a MacBook, double click does not work.

10. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

Double click doesn't work on Lenovo Thinkpad E530c-3366 either. I have to use 'E' instead.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4) System RAM: 7770
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 GPU RAM: 880

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.