Decorations without houses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gix, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why don't people put their crap in a house?

Am I the only one who thinks these outdoor crafting areas and yard-sale-looking ghetto places are just making the overall vistas horrible?

Put some damn walls, please!

Lord Barugon, Rowell, MagiK and 9 others like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Nope.

NRaas, Tahru, Cianna and 4 others like this.
  3. Faenauriel Erulisse

Faenauriel Erulisse Avatar

It makes it laggy for me to run thru town with the outdoor crafting areas and have to load it all, but people can do with their land what they want. I'd prefer houses but that's just my personal style. Then I'd fill the yard with trees topiaries and fountains, so I'll just create more lag. :) It's a never ending battle!

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

maybe they don't have houses yet... LOL... that's why they have their crafting stuff out... they're still gathering the materials to build the house... LOL

Gix, 4EverLost and Derium like this.
  5. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Just be patient and give them time. For some beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one eye might have the pink eye.:p:p:eek:

Ice Queen and Audacity like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The problem with this theory is that every land owner in the game has at least one house, and every land owner that has placed thus far has Many to choose from.
    Time will tell...

kabalyero and Baalice like this.
  7. Derium

Derium Avatar

My "house" is an open type on the ground.

The issue for me is I like to feel connected to the outside world. There isn't a single house in this game that allows you to feel like that. All the balconies are tiny. Most of the roofs are set up awkwardly. And the fact the house must sit in the square middle of the lot eats up almost any of your outside decoration plans.

For me, using my village lot as one giant open "room" offers more space and MUCH more decoration options then any village house they have to offer.

With that said, I still try my best not to make it an eye sore. I remember the UO house customizing days of people making the ugliest looking junk yards humankind has ever imagined. I'm trying to stay away from that.

Vaughan, Gix, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If they had a pledge tier high enough to claim right away, they most certainly had houses.

Whyterose Flowers and Tahru like this.
  9. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

I like all the open lot no house plots. They are the only true original designs instead of cookie cutter homes (although some of those are still decorated very nice).

Tahru and 4EverLost like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It can be done well... Can be... Thus far I've seen one example that I would put in the well done category.

11. Derium

Derium Avatar

Have a picture of it? I'm curious to see!

4EverLost likes this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I don't... There was a screenshot in a thread I saw yesterday of a well decorated open-air shop on a Village lot... I can't seem to locate it again. Traffic on the site has increased a great deal for some odd reason.

13. Derium

Derium Avatar

was it this place, by chance?

[​IMG]

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Quite.

15. Derium

Derium Avatar

yes!!! That's my place :) Good to know I'm not being an eyesore!!

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Because the game encourages you to put vendors outside on your lawn 24/7 instead of in a shop or by a shop, and then, because nobody will come inside their house, because their vendor is outside, there's incentive to decorate their wares outside.

Personally, I think even when someone can do a nice "open" shop outside that looks good its still looks a bit silly. You don't see that in real life much for a reason; its because shop owners need to close up to protect from robberies and they need cover from weather. My advice to people who really want to do this -- put some type of awning or cover over your goods, and a fence or wall around, and it will look more appropriate.

I'd like to see more indoor shops too, but the game is disincentivizing this, unfortunately, by treating vendors as decoration that don't need basic amenities like a bed in a house.

Lord Dreamo and Ravicus like this.
  17. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

The one time I tried putting my vendor outside instead of in my shop. I actually spent forever decorating a really awesome tent for him to sell out of. It actually looked like It belonged outside rather than like someone forgot to put a roof on their building.

I'm sooo happy signs finally made it in the game. I can label my alchemy shop and hopefully people will pop in to enjoy the work put in to make it an immersive experience.

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have seen the "open" style done very well in past releases. Some even competed in decorating contests. I am pretty sure that the root of the concern is the "junkyard" style as that can be interpreted as being inconsiderate to all other players.

NRaas and Lord Dreamo like this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

Yeah, I totally understand that. Would walls (stone or hedge) work for you, though?

While yours isn't bad (possibly the best I've seen so far), I still wouldn't want to see a whole neighborhood like that.

Except that it doesn't encourage me to shop there either; if one has to put his/her crap in my face, you can bet that I'm not shopping there.

Primarily junkyard and commercial, I'd say.

And then there's the extreme: I heard guild members talk about how they've set up a junkyard on purpose to annoy other members of the community and when people asked "why would you do that?" the answer was "why not?"

Derium and Tahru like this.
  20. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Owl's Head entrance path always looks like a refugee camp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.