Disappointed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by antix, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    I completely agree we should not give handouts to new player it will only ruin their experience in the long run. I remember in UO new players running round in advanced gear, they will have nothing to inspire too.So please help new players buy sending them in the right direction and not giving them gold and gear.

Bow Vale, Fungus, Mykll and 1 other person like this.
  2. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I too class myself as casual but committed player, the game can be brutal but no where near as brutal as UO was starting up as PvP happened whether you liked it or not. The jump most players who are adv level XX with GM skills in certain tree's is probably down to the fact they've played the game on and off (or constantly) since R1 to R31 so for sure they will get a jump on others knowing the mechanics.

I love the fact it's harder than most MMO's out today more interested in profit than players where death has no consequences bar having to run back to the fight, where being flagged PvP opens you up to thieves in towns or the wilds.

The forums too don't have the usual cookie cutter builds posted up for the masses to follow which is totally refreshing, just tips and hints. For more help you can converse with hospitallers or guild members who've experience in the game but in the main there is no real right way to do things just how you want though I will say spreading yourself out in numerous tree's at the start does slow the ability to progress into 2,3,4 or 5 skull areas but so what there is no real end game here (yet).

Like many posted here I am totally against handing out cash or gear to people that's way above your level as you lose the ability to learn from your mistakes, watch your character grow properly and more importantly get bored and leave. You don't even have to pay to win as many have eluded to in other threads you can level up very easily without buying even a pipe to smoke whilst killing spiders though I hear it's good for smoking them out their lair's.

I've gathered resources, traded with crafters in exchange for items made to wear & fight with without any gold being passed over and sold ore on a public vendor to enable me to buy a +1 wand for my off hand all without the RF gear I received with my pledge and the obsidian coins are still in my bank cluttering my inventory until I transfer them to my house later this week as I CBA to use them.

Best part for me though is running round in a group doing control points, quests without killing stuff, guild meetings, emote parties, looking at the amazing deco people have created as I pass by their property or just grinding exp whilst chatting on TS with guildies which after 10hrs at work five days a week is a real chill out.

Being viable to survive and make oodles of cash is nice but enjoy being poor and swinging that rusty sword as you'll appreciate the upgrade way more later on.

Darkmelons, Kaisa, 4EverLost and 6 others like this.
  3. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Yep pile me onto the the don't give massive handouts. Some, sure. Maybe ok. But these are the types of things I have found boring:

Ultima Online: "Hey new person, here's a goodie bag, bye!" Uhh, thanks. Just a ratty bow and axe would have been enough. Now nothing is a challenge. Yeah I guess I can take all this gear off. /sigh

Everquest: Powerlevel Caverns. Yay leveled up fast but I was bored out of my mind.

World of Warcraft: "I'll plow you through that dungeon." Yeah, no thanks. You running ahead on your level 100 character, gathering the entire instance together, and nuking down at once, yeah no fun for me.

Final Fantasy XIV: Unsynched Dungeons. Oh I can be severely overpowered? No challenge? So boring? Ugh, no thanks.

And on and on and on..... And yes saying this I am sure I will reach out for help at some point. :cool:

4. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

This is a thinking persons RPG. Although, it doesn't help that since it's still in development a lot of stuff is still broken or being added.

I have my issues too, but trying to power through them and wait for the quests to get some fixing and updating before I try them again.

5. tangar

tangar Avatar

To TS:
    Yep, things break. But newbie items has more then enough durability. Its impossible to destroy newbie items for 3 hours, mate :) Till then you would get loads of gold for quests, loot from mobs, items from crates & etc. You even could play NAKED and beat weak monsters, gather resources, complete quests... But again, its not necessary - game gives you pretty good weapons at the beginning.

The problem in newbie experience not in items durability, but in not really good tutorial... It has to be polished a lot. OR it has to be removed, like it was in UO. There could be two approach - no tutorial (it gives sandbox feeling) OR good, polished tutorial, which shows beauty of the game. Right now it has to be revamped imho (I started to play at R32) :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Kaisa, Time Lord and Mykll like this.
  6. eSpiRaL

eSpiRaL Avatar

The simplest way to be successful in this game is to make friends. Friends will happily help you stay afloat.

Kaisa, Audacity, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  7. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

They don't do refunds. Sell your account the normal way if you don't like it.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Untrue, I was anything but a pauper coming into the game, but it has been the kindness and generosity iin both items and knowledge that has made me glad I pledged Baron, I intend to pass it forward helping new people with items and information, there is no RULE that says you have to have a painful start to a game.

9. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Of course to each their own. But I still stand by what I've originally said. Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish... Yeah we've all heard it before, and it stands true in gaming as well.

Nothing is stopping you from helping new players. But giving them everything will mean you have someone from now on that will probably just fall back to you whenever they loose something and you will now have to carry them the rest of the time they play the game. Teach them to be self sufficient first. Then you have someone to play with rather then having to carry.

But again to each their own. Not everyone reads the forums, or agree's with me. I just hope that people like you don't carry to many people, or we will have a severe lack of players asap (imo)

10. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

And I dont understand why people in this game feel the need to gain levels faster than most. There is nothing left to do once one reaches these higher levels and the game quickly becomes boring. Its why I stopped playing in May 2016 and came back to the game for Final Wipe, I was level 70ish and I had killed the all the ingame bosses with my guild and the game wasn't challenging. I had no reason to log in anymore, which sadly looks as if this hasn't changed but am hopeful its because the game is still unfinished.

11. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

This is the ultimate sandbox. Hand you a spade, and you build what you like in due time.
    There is no rush to lvl, just enjoy the process and admire the scenery and players' creativity along the way.
    For me, I am a UO stalwart and a CCG fanatic, so the cool deck concept of drawing skills to battle intrigue me. I enjoy crafting, albeit tedious as there is no deadline, no time line to be anything yet.
    The game is early access I understand but I am enjoying each step of the way as I see the world evolve and grow :)
    Me and my few friends group up a couple of hours each night to explore new areas and develop our own skillsets etc.
    This game need patience but as all fine wine and good food tell you, give it time to be what it can be. If not, then this is not your cup of tea.

12. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Preach it sista!!!! ;):D

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    I understand this game is unfinished and I'm entering a Construction Zone o_O

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  14. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I'm new so I can't add anything to the wisdom shared here, but I will say from my freshly minted eyes that it's the people and the community that makes SOTA great. I believe the game design is the foundation of such a robust and friendly atmosphere.

I echo the others who have suggested teaming up with others. Please look me up in game anytime. I'd love to party with you.

majoria70, Kara Brae, Kaisa and 6 others like this.
  15. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    You look like someone who fits right in...................very nicely ;)

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't like when people beg for constant hand-outs in online games.

But SotA can be difficult for a brand new player starting out who doesn't have past experience of playing all the previous builds.

Helping the new players coming in now because of the land rush will help build a positive community.

K1000, Time Lord, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  17. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Beggers are not welcome, those who show an interest in working for their own advancement not expecting a hand out will get the hand out as well as the hand up.....there is a difference ....I never expected someone to take the materials I needed and allow me to make my first bow...I learned the skills and as a completely unexpected gift I got a hat out of the deal...a very nice hat.....in this game you may find it easier to give someone the things they need for you to teach them. And also how to gather the mats for themselves...the game is incredibly rich and complex so having a master/journeyman/apprentice system is ideal in my opinion.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Before all we so called "Nobles" start calling people Beggars~o_O
    Nobles can only be noble, when they take on followers into their care, which aides the "very privileged Noble", later when that player has flourished into a greater income of life.

Our game is built for friendships and fellowships o_O ..."all you privileged tyrants need to get use to it"... ;)
    Or give back all those things our Lord British has given you!
    We live in a feudal world which means that we all have our place and anyone can change their stars!

[​IMG]

To all you new players who wish to hang around ~The Time Lord~:D
    [​IMG]
    "Just remember our friendship and fellowship is all I will ever ask of you"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

True, however some people are lazy and greedy and will go around trying to take and do nothing for themselves,or others.....so in summation not all beggars are created equal. ;)

20. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Technically I've paid for what Lord British has given me.....but that is a whole different color of horse, in the end Nobility should encourage others to improve their lot, not trod upon them....even if history has shown that frequently is not the case.

Time Lord and Mykll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.