Blacksmiths have the arrow market locked down.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Cebrimal, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cebrimal

Cebrimal Avatar

Lets do a bit of math. A blacksmith sells arrows, 24 for 2g.
    2/24 = 0.0833 g/per arrow.

So, I decide I'm going to craft some arrows, and be a go-to shop for local archers. I head out, and cut down some wood, mine some iron and salvage some rusty weapons. But I need some more supplies.
    My fuel shopping list is
    Coal 6/g
    Creosote 2/g
    Feathers 4/g

I start crafting.__Fuel Cost______Sub-Total
    An Iron ingot___6 (1 Coal)________6
    Arrow Heads___ 6 (1 Coal)_______ 12
    Pine Timber____2 (1 Creosote)____ 14
    Pine Board_____2 (1 Creosote)____ 16
    Arrows________20 (5 Feathers)___36

So my cost of 500 Arrows is 36g. 26/200 = 0.072 g/arrow
    Excellent. If I'm making them for myself, I saved a small margin (If I don't count crafting tool decay costs)
    Now, as a merchant, I decide I want to sell this on my stall, however without a commission free vendor, I must pay 35% commission. 0.072*35% = 0.097 g/arrow

Blacksmith price 0.0833 < My production/sale cost 0.097

So, if I want to break even, my bundle of 24 arrows is going to cost me 2.32g to sell on my vendor.

The only ways I could beat a blacksmith arrow price are:
    1. Have a commission-free vendor. (And hopefully a tax-free lot as a smart businessman considers rent an expense that needs to be covered.)
    2. Harvest my own feathers (Though, there's no birds to kill)
    3. Loot dungeons in the hope that I find the occasional arrow-head, feathers, creosote.
    4. Sell arrows at a negative product margin.
    5. Only sell arrows looted from bodies.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    LoneStranger and Tahru like this.
  2. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

Sorry but unless they introduce special kind of arrow, or arrow have dmg on them, you are wasting time and ressource by crafting them

4EverLost and Birne Gilmore like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Chunks of Coal can be gathered (in minute quantities). Coal nodes are available in some scenes. We REALLY need a coal mine somewhere.

Feathers can also be gathered, by killing domesticated chickens/turkeys or (last time I checked) phoenixes. Not an ample supply, but hopefully they will improve these. We need some vultures or some actually enemy avian we can kill.

Otherwise, you are correct. Its just barely worth the cost to produce your own, but there is not enough overhead to make it something you can sell.

Elwyn and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Cebrimal

Cebrimal Avatar

If the Dev's reduced the cost of feathers to 2g it would bring the production cost to .078, or reduced the feather quantity in the recipe to 2 bringing production cost to .072 it would at least create an opportunity for some kind of player driver ammunition market. Figured if I spoke up and gave some numbers, perhaps it may make a difference. *shrug*

5. Cebrimal

Cebrimal Avatar

Maybe, I'll just buy them from the blacksmith and sell them at a loss on my store as a marketing expense to bring traffic. :)

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  6. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Agree with your suggestion on reducing feather cost plus we need more types of ammo. I really don't like being a chicken harasser. Gave 5K of arrows away the other day to a new player that wandered in, he moved into the town which was a nice plus.

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Your vendor charges you 35 percent??? :eek: Mine only charges 10%... I think you better have a talk with him! :mad:

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The contrarian point is that it's a really cheap way to level your crafting skills.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

This is because ARCHERS UNITED and #hashtag the hell out of devs when arrows were being sold at 2g for a single arrow. They managed to convince the devs they needed to come to their senses! AND THEY SUCCEEDED! YEA!:D and all archers cheered around the kingdom and they lived happily ever after:).

(Not really, but yeah, it's how it was until they managed to figure out how to sell things in bundles for a more reasonable price. Personally hopes they leave it like this. BUT WOULD LOVE IT IF THEY BRING BACK THE SPECIALTY ARROWS!)

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

Arrow prices go up the more people buy them from the NPC so you don't really have to compete with the 2 gold per 24 issue all the time. I don't have any issue selling them at a profit on a public vendor usually. If they don't sell today they will tomorrow when the price goes up on the NPC .

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

11. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

Well as I said in another thread, the cost for crafting consumables is way out of wack.

6 gold for chunk of coal? Really? That's just ridiculous. But it goes for all the consumables.

But then crafting was designed to be a massive gold sink, we then have to pass the higher prices onto the adventurers. But in some cases the adventurers can get decent equipment for less prices from the NPC vendors. So, one wonders what they were thinking.

12. Cebrimal

Cebrimal Avatar

You're right about the 10%... don't know where I did math wrong, but clearly I did....

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I put them in my public chest every day because they drop from various mobs, cannot be salvaged, and have no vendor sale value.

Elwyn likes this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am not an archer, but save a lot of the arrows I get as loot (destroy them if overloaded). I have 2500 arrows now and plan on putting them on my vendor at 500 for 1 gold. Are found arrows the same as crafted ones?

Tahru likes this.
  15. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Buy feathers? Kiln's got them free in abundance! There's chickens all over the merchant area and certainly no one in town seems to be objecting to me ridding the town of these vastly dangerous wild beasts in exchange for getting their feathers.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.