Separate "interact" permission level for decorations

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by lucasjung, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

I really like the changes which have been made to add granularity to the item permissions systems over time, but there's one more level of permission I'd like to be able to set on the decorations in my home: "interact." This level of permission would not allow people to move or take the object in question, but it would allow them to use it if it were an object which can be used. For example, I'd like for others to be able to play the piano in my house or the jukebox in my basement, but I don't want them to be able to move either object, nor add/remove wax cylinders from the jukebox. I'd also like for others to be able to use the wishing well in front of my house. I'm sure that there are plenty of other usable objects which people would like to share in this way.

Furthermore, it should be possible to set the "interact" permission level to"public" (allow anybody, including complete strangers, to use it). If the "add items to inventory" and "remove items from inventory" could also be set to "public," then it would be possible for homeowners to effectively turn their crafting stations into public crafting stations. Not many people would want to do that, but I'm sure that some generous souls would do so. I wouldn't recommend making "public" an option for the permission to move/take the object in question, though. I can't really see any valid purpose for that, and I could definitely see people getting very upset after doing it accidentally.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Isn't that already the case? I have people come to my house using crafting stations, but they can't move any of my furniture.

x_Selene_x and lucasjung like this.
  3. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

Very interesting. I hadn't even tried using anybody else's stuff, so I had no idea that this would work.

I still think that owners should be able to control these options on a per-object basis. Right now, an object has the following permission options:
    • Item permission (move or take the object): Kindred, Trustee, or Co-Owner
    • Privacy (make the item completely private or not)
    • Container remove or modify contents (not available on non-container objects): Kindred, Trustee, or Co-Owner
    • Container add item (not available on non-container objects): Public, Kindred, Trustee, or Co-Owner
    To this list, I would like to add "Interact," with options for "Public, Kindred, Trustee, or Co-Owner."

I find it interesting that there is a "public" option for adding items to containers, but not for removing or modifying the contents. Not necessarily saying I disagree with the dichotomy, but it is definitely worth noting: don't put stuff in a container in a stranger's house, because you won't be able to get it back!

Apparently, crafting stations are set to allow "public" use. Given the choice, I would personally leave mine as such, but I think that owners should have the option to change this (and to make similar choices for all other usable decorations). It also makes me wonder if other items can also be used by strangers. Can others already use the wishing well in front of my house? Can anybody walk in and get one item a day from the cornucopia on my dining room table (I don't mind, as long as it doesn't prevent me from getting my daily item)? Can anybody walk in and use my piano? Can anybody grab snowballs from the box on my front step? Can anybody turn my lights on and off (I hope not)? Can anybody sit in the chairs around my table (I hope so)? Can anybody lie down on my bed (I hope not, but expect that they can)? For anybody interested in trying, I have a Knight's Lighthouse in Brittany Wharfs, close to the center of the map, more or less due east from the vendor hub where the bank is, and more or less due north from the southernmost vendor hub. There's a wishing well out front, as well as several kobold-style street lamps and a few planting pots. If you do try to use my stuff, please reply to this thread and let us all know how it worked out. You could also try the jukebox on the top floor of my basement, and there are also a magic printing press and an expert alchemy station on the bottom floor of my basement, which you are welcome to use.

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Can others already use the wishing well in front of my house? Yes edit: maybe no.. as per @Spoon

Can anybody walk in and get one item a day from the cornucopia on my dining room table (I don't mind, as long as it doesn't prevent me from getting my daily item)? No

Can anybody walk in and use my piano? Yes

Can anybody grab snowballs from the box on my front step? No

Can anybody turn my lights on and off (I hope not)? Yes

Can anybody sit in the chairs around my table (I hope so)? Yes

Can anybody lie down on my bed (I hope not, but expect that they can)? Yes.

In general, players can use anything on your lot that doesn't deprive you of an item (as using the snowball box or cornucopia would). A home set as a tavern wouldn't be much fun if no one could sit down. And aetheric vibration amplifiers only change the sound for you, not everyone else.

And no, I didn't go snooping in your house. ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

Thank you for the rundown. I'm still curious if the "Privacy" option trumps this (e.g. if I make my piano private, will that stop others from playing it?). In case anybody is interested in trying, I went ahead and made almost everything on the upper floor of my house private (bed, chair, etc.), with the exception of the teletype, the dresser, and the lights.

Given that most items default to allow public use, if the "Privacy" option overrides that, then my request has already been met. If not, then I would still want a setting to allow owners to restrict use of their items. For most of the stuff in my home, I don't really mind if others use it (or, in many cases, actively prefer that they be able to), but there are a few things I don't want strangers to mess with, especially my lights.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

???
    Did they fix this?
    Just a week or two this didn't work.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hmmnn...Maybe I'm wrong on that one. I might have had permissions on the lot I tested that on.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Right now, the kindread/trustee/co-owner level are there for permission to add and/or move the items. To use the items, it's either for public for all or private to a single person + the home owner.

The exception I found so far, is the item listing on a player vendor. You can set kindred as the lowest permission to have that permission.

lucasjung likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.