Why can't I find my stats easily in game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duncan O. McDermott, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

Level provides extra health and focus. It is also a huge influence on whether you hit or miss I've noticed.

I wish they would take the level mechanics out and place the bonuses in skills. Then we could just get rid of it.

Vagabond_Sam likes this.
  2. helm

helm Avatar

A good point.

Vagabond_Sam likes this.
  3. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

It doesn't, and it's not.

Those things are calculated based on your skills that raise your stats, str(hp, damage), dex(hit chance, some damage) and int(focus, hit chance and damage of some things).

Correct me if I'm wrong, @helm but adv just impacts what come mobs are to you, which is about as much interaction as you can benefit from knowing that level. Either a creature is easy or difficult for you or if you even stand a chance against it. Results may vary so go forth and try it, you know, adventure!

There is no impact on your game or experience being able to interact with your adv level other than the mere satisfaction of knowing it.

Having said that, the single reason I've read here that actually makes a barely good argument for knowing it is the gentleman who said it helps him understand where a new guildmate stands in character development. However even then, it doesn't at all explain if they would be successful in zone A or Q. A character with 40pts in each tree's top two rows of skills will have roughly same adv as a character who GM'd a top combat passive and has a few action skills at 80. However mr 40 will be infinitely less viable in all zones.

That is why you don't need to know the adv level and why knowing it does nothing for you except lead to these threads with confused people.

Fauxpas likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The only thing I know that Adventurer Level is used for is the To Hit calculation against targets significantly above or below you (>5 Adventurer Levels). So if you are a lot weaker than a monster (or other player in PvP), you take a penalty to hit; if you are stronger, you have a better chance to hit and they have a penalty to hit you. As far as I know, this was never removed.

Otherwise, yes; the Adventurer Level is useless to know. But you get the same general indication from the con system, so its not important.

helm and Fauxpas like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

with this its still slower to lock your skills, but could be cheaper if you use exclusively tier 1 and 2 spoells to kill things

this i agree with primarily as it isnt as much of a ability used during combat

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Adventure level does have a comparativly minimal impact on your health and focus (compared to skills that do the same) and is calculated into your PvE hit-chance only, resulting in orange and red creature beign harder to hit than greena nd yellow creatures. But it still provides no information other than a guess at a range the creatures your fighting might be in, which could be + or - 20 or 30, i think. Its still not advantageous at all to knwo your adventure level other than to just have a number

It is not calculated into your PvP hit chance at all. Only skill levels and stats are used there.

helm and Fauxpas like this.
  7. Forseti

Forseti Avatar

As it is now, the adventure level is like this forbidden fruit, we know it's there but we are not to look at it. Yet it is the most concise way in which players can compare each other. People hear tales of the famed warlord Jaden clearing such and such, doing the impossible, we want to know his level and our level to compare.

It's kind of silly, no? Vanity is very much an allure of the game. I'll be the first to admit I'm always examining players, "hmm this dude looks like a bit of a beast let's see his stats, nice yeah he's stronger than me I'm excited to get that strong".

Anyway I lean more towards the opinion of no numbers shown, because there's more fun to be had in mystery. Either way I won't be too bothered though, and can clearly understand for people who want to see it how ridiculous it is now. Just remove the fruit if its forbidden, or hide it more I don't know.

I'm sure this is a temporary state for it anyhow.

8. helm

helm Avatar

@postulio, both of these were already mentioned in a couple of previous messages, but anyway:
    • adv level does seem to increase health and focus, how much and how significantly, I don't know exactly as I have never paid much attention to it (but I have had all my relevant stats skills locked for a long time and gained health and focus regardless). If it's just "raw points" then it's likely not that significant, but if it's some kind of percentage then it might gain more significance when those relevant skills are improved. In any case it appears to be at least a few points per level.
    • It's also used in the PvE hit calculation for enemies that are several levels above or below. This can be quite significant as it can make hitting high level creatures extremely difficult to hit at lower levels, effectively gating higher level content. This is trivial to test with lower level critters; for example if your level is high enough, you can basically strip naked and sit down calmly while a horde of small wolf spiders or low level skeletons is trying to kill you.

However, just because adv level still seems to be used for something, does not mean that it would be that interesting or useful to know, other than for vanity reasons - much of the relevant information concerning the second point above is in the monster "color codings" anyway. The exceptions are rather specific cases (like, as mentioned, helping a guildmate) and for those it's not that difficult ask for a /stats dump.

postulio and Fauxpas like this.
  9. racerx

racerx Avatar

Well Just give the numbers in a seperate window. THose that want to see them can those that do not....dont open the window. Seems pretty simple to me. I wouldnt mind seeing some numbers like one person said. I want to know if what I am doing at the time is making a difference or not. But what I said above should make EVERYBODY happy. o7

Cally likes this.
  10. racerx

racerx Avatar

YEah I mean I just want to know about my character in general. I dont need to know what level the guy next to me is. I like the fact I come up to somebody and its like "OOhh thats some cool gear he is wearing, I wonder what level he is?" I actually like that..should come handy in duels ya know? You dont know who your picking a fight with. He may be a high level player wearing low level gear....hehe you might just get whooped! I like that idea! Never assume anything :p

11. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@helm thank you for the correction and information

I still believe the number stay behind the scenes or removed altogether, for mostly these reasons:

Knowing it does nothing to impact your game

Avoid a situation where players ate discriminated against based on their level

Create a sentiment that the level is a hard guide to your character's effectiveness, which would inevitably lead to... (and here is of course just me being pessimistic)...

Complaints that the level doesn't accurately represent your ability and should be "fixed". Effectively creating the same level "ding" based community we're trying to avoid

Remove it. We don't need to know what calculated value the game uses to estimate if we're the correct experience for a zone. Coloring mobs is a good enough barometer and yellow/orange means give it a shot.

Vidgrip and helm like this.
  12. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

I'd like to see all my numbers. Thanks ;)

13. Vescovo

Vescovo Avatar

This the exact and only reason I want to see it. I just want some form of standard of comparison easily used for designating progression on guildies. I'm a 56, you're a 20. Maybe i shouldn't take you to this 5 skull area.

Hell rank us players 1-10 skulls in terms of how advanced we are lol.

Vagabond_Sam likes this.
  14. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Well the base for caculating that level is already there, since you can see it using the /stat-command, as far as I understand. You simply don't see that number in you charactersheet or for other players. It's up for the designers ti decice if they want that info to be easily available to us or not.

Now comes the philosophical part: What we should do now is, to try to imagine how would the real world be, if we could see our "real world level" there. Not only for ourselves, but for everyone we encounter... what impact would it have to our lives? Same for the game: What's the impact of seeing each others "level" or seeing it just ourselves in SotA? Sure, it works in every other game, why not here? What does it means (to us) that we do NOT see those levels right now? I personally don't miss seeing my or anyone's else level. I understand, that it would make it some things easier, but I like it the way it is. Maybe there are other ways beside branding everyone with his level to help us evaluate our own and each others strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.