Mining Should Build Strength

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Satan Himself, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Seems like a strenuous activity wielding a heavy object like a pickaxe should at least marginally boost strength. Doubt I'm the first to suggest this, but it struck me while mining for a while that my strength was sitting still. I remember in UO, that mining was a great way to build strength. Why should we only gain strength through combat?

2. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I though the same while mining yesterday. So a plus one from my side for mining affecting strength.

3. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I agree. Lumberjack would do the same.

4. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Realistically? Sure...

Problem is it's already way too easy to get a ton of strength compared to the other two stats. There are 7 sources of strength if you wear heavy armor and 5 if you wear light armor. For dexterity, there is only 3. For intelligence, there is only 2 sources. To clarify, I'm talking about from skills.

Strength:
    - Train Strength
    - Bulwark of Earth
    - Strength of Earth
    - Inner Strength (heavy)
    - Endurance (heavy)
    - Sun Worship
    - Berserker's Stance

Dexterity:
    - Train Dexterity
    - Air's Embrace
    - Moon Worship

Intelligence:
    - Train Intelligence
    - Enlightenment

hroth, Nolove 0369, cartodude and 3 others like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree doing things should affect appropriate skills. Harvesting skills and combat skills can should affect each other even if a little to give us more reward for efforts and little surprises ;)

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

7. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

Anyone punch cows in UO to level str to 50? ..or was that just me?

8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

yea and I am still waiting for my in game crest.

Nolove 0369, Time Lord and Spoon like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Mining should also be able to be done is a stream...
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. Curt

Curt Avatar

IF the skills train str/dex/int had been in a own category neither adventurer or crafting
    Would it made sense if certain activities in both trees caused xp to be spent on them-.

Nolove 0369, Snazz and Time Lord like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Some people want to be dedicated crafters and getting strength from noncombat deed's would help and make sense so much. Also we need more crafting quests that are non combat quests for them.

12. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah I remember doing mining and lumberjacking for strength.

Also fishing to train dexterity.

Time Lord, Nolove 0369 and majoria70 like this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The counter argument is that if you reward combat for crafting skills, min/maxers will go deep into crafting skills just for the passives and then junk whatever they make. This leads to a really weird economy where finished goods end up much cheaper than the components.

I realize that everyone can gather and probably will anyway. But if you want to nudge people into focusing on specific roles to drive the economy, this is something not to do. Imagine instead a lumberjacking potion which weakens your combat.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well that's why skill caps are missing from the equation. Then we could get rid of decay as well. Everyone would not be able to be everything. Even if it's a higher skill cap. People would be more unique because they have to choose and we would have to count on others to some degree. I know not a popular idea to some but to me It's a big missing in this game.

15. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

I completely disagree,
    You are not rewarding combat over a crafting skill, Stats are used buy both skill trees so both skill trees should increase them, this is more a punishment to crafters buy forcing them to have to fight to build stats.
    Train strength for example, should pull XP from both pools of XP and its a lot easier to get adventuring Xp then it is crafting Xp and in much larger pools, so your whole Min/ Max thing, is a false hood also. Now if they added a new skill to build more strength and stuck it in a crafting tree, I would see you points a little more valid. But simply adding a way to build up the skills we already have with out inventing the wheel would make the most sense.

I agree 100% with you.
    And the sad part is the game is now starting to show that you are correct, because every body can do everything we have no economy, I have never bought a resource or a piece of gear off a player / public vendor, because I can make it or gather it my self and we crafters are all Dead broke because of that. (well 90% of us)

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Makes sense to me as well. Especially for those who prefer to develop primarily crafting oriented characters that don't hunt much otherwise. Thumbs up.

Budner and Time Lord like this.
  17. Reviled

Reviled Avatar

Such a situation is no different from most MMO economies, where raw materials are much more expensive in an auction house environment because everyone is fully aware of the meta and so the resource itself has much more value than the vast majority of finished items because it can be used to build job/crafting level. There just isn't an easy solution to that metabubble or it'd be in place somewhere else already. There are perhaps ways of softening it, but they are untested at the metrics necessary to support a large game economy and I'd guess adding them to the game at this stage would be a lot of work and balance testing for little reward.]

I'm not so sure hard skill caps would fix it either. There's plenty of RPGs using point caps on skills and it's not like they are devoid of constant rebalances and tweaks. The pooled experience system in use in SOTA, by comparison, has actually forced me to think more about how I develop at least my combat skills as I level.. I'm OK with that. I realize at the high end it'll create a power gap but it's a soft cap rather than a hard cap, so the gap shrinks as time goes on, which seems to make the system without hard caps a bit more palatable. Maybe establish hard caps for pvp calculation but otherwise not too bad a setup.

Were I trying to vent this problem I'd fix it with more granularity in specialization. While we're going for a system that's fairly true to life, there's no reason to deny magic a place in crafting, so there's plenty of lore headroom for specializing salvaging skills to, for example, remove rust from metal scraps, thereby letting you turn them into a perfect ingot without going out to find one- if you build that skill specialization out. That's potentially one specialization in blacksmithing (recovering rust-free scraps) and smelting (smelting an ingot from rust-free scraps) each, and that kind of variety in a 'capless' system would keep the player divergence alive for a lot longer. The benefit for such a specialization would be 'hunt for ore less often', the drawbacks could be in the form of an item's initial durability or tweaks to stats, as exceptional items have. It won't fix the high end since grinders are always going to be grinders, but it will help the midtier and leisurely crafters make something interesting. Perhaps at the higher end maybe you have some very powerful or legendary masterworks that you can only attain by sacrificing some XP at each level of the crafting chain for that particular item. You could counterbalance that with a reputation system that adds an auxilliary benefit.

That said, all of that would be wildly complex and at this stage just not practical to add to the game- it'd also be subject to a lot of testing and balance tweaking to get right, and the simpler solutions are usually the more robust ones.

Time Lord and PrimeRib like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.