Character searches on this site

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by God, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God

God Avatar

On UO.com, atleast back when I played, you could search any character you knew, guild, etc by typing their name into a search bar on the site.. Along with that, you could view their paperdoll, what kind of armor they're wearing at the time, their skills and a few other things I can't necessarily remember.

This may be the wrong section to post this in, but I'd love to see this available.

ImRad!, Umbrae, Wsye and 1 other person like this.
  2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Shouldn't God know all this? Surely God doesn't need a search bar... :)

I would like to see this on the site as well as an API so we can show this on our sites or build 3rd partys apps. Would need a privacy setting though. God might know all, but people might not want to open this up to anyone else. ;)

nightshadow and Vyrinor like this.
  3. God

God Avatar

Well in fact I DID know, just wanted to bring it up so the mortals could get it in their heads. :)

uberomega likes this.
  4. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

I would like to see this on the site as well as an API so we can show this on our sites or build 3rd partys apps. Would need a privacy setting though. )[/quote]

I'd love to see this too, especially if your checking out your enemies items/skills!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  5. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Skills...if there is no way for a player to know my skill-set in a numerical fashion inside the game, I'm uncomfortable with a player finding out while outside the game. I mean, if you would like to know how skilled I am with a War Hammer...go into the game, draw your weapon and find out. My statistical information should be mine and mine alone...unless I volunteer it.

6. God

God Avatar

@knoxinn I don't remember perfectly but I'm pretty sure it didn't list your skills. Only your title (GM arms man, Mage. Etc. )

7. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Yeah, I couldn't remember either. I have given your idea some thought and I have a counter-offer...(which, I believe, is the first time that I have counter-offered God...:D )

This is how I would restructure that option for SotA:

Character Name
    Occupation (Optional - Instead of "GM skills" the player can state what their character is)
    Shield (Takes advantage of in-game Heraldry option to be recognized by your personal shield)
    House Location
    Vendor Location
    Guild
    History (Optional - A short RP write-up of character)
    Email (Optional)
    Social Media (Optional - Twitter, Facebook, etc)

This way, a player has a chance to both recognize and find another player while using very conventional means within the game (their shield, vendor, etc). And if a player wishes to be available to the masses, then this is their chance. Would this be a good compromise?

8. God

God Avatar

@knoxinn , God has accepted your counter offer. Now make a sacrifice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.