Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fauns should Stop Attacking when Slavers are Dead

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Glantor Edge, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Perhaps I'm reading way too much into it, but I've noticed since Ultima VI (in retrospect) when introduced to the Gargoyle culture, that there are strong parallels related to paternalism, e.g. the Gargoyle principles and virtues, especially in the relationship between dominant and subordinate roles and attitudes between the winged and wingless. Assuming that Gargoyle society evolved to be as such implies that these roles were arrived at through some consensus and compromise.

Fauns were a solution to the Satyr problem for the Obsidians as one poster already mentioned. In contrast to the paternalistic relationship of the Gargoyles, here you see elements of power exchange (in the BDSM sense) where the roles of the participants complement one another, i.e. the master needs the slave and the slave needs the master to feel whole. Unlike the BDSM lifestyle (when it comes to M/s relationships), this slave-master relationship is not consensual, in that the slave does not willingly give one's self over to the master. This relationship between satyr and faun is conceived through necessity and was a construct of their original masters -- it is as much an abomination as is chattel slavery since neither are consensual.

In both cultures (Gargoyle and Satyr/Faun, it appears that in order to achieve balance among their kind, the dominant and subordinate structure needs to be preserved; therefore I think if a Satyr is killed, its subordinate faun should not run away or stop attacking since its reason for existence has been taken away. It's a Stockholm syndrome that is just baked into the existence of these creatures. This begs the question that if killing a faun is a cowardly act, is it still not compassionate to end its misery (assuming you killed its master)? Do we need a psychological and/or sociological skill tree to reform the fauns? Is Episode Two going to be called "Nipple Clamps of the Avatar"?

I think it's cool that there is this collateral damage and consequence consideration in the game even if fauns are annoying, but I think maybe Satyr respawn rates might need to be adjusted so the player can actually try to be more careful around the fauns.

On a side note: it seems we're getting libertine-themed places such as Artifice which should prove to be interesting. Maybe I should brush up on my de Sade.

Glantor Edge and uhop like this.
  2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Fauns are the first thing I kill. They have caused me to die so many times that I kill them even when they are alone. If it effects my virtue so be it :)

Glantor Edge and Dariog like this.
  3. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Definitely feels like something is missing as the current implementation is.

Faun tells you not to hurt him.
    Casts spells at you.
    Satyr Appears.
    Both attack you.
    You kill Satyr.
    Faun tells you not to hurt him and casts spells at you.

Collateral is fine where it makes sense. This is not a case of absolutes and it is implemented as such currently. Course we still are in early access.

Also, yes, it may become necessary for the Machiavellian knowledge.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Glantor Edge and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Hawkthalas

Hawkthalas Avatar

I think that this problem have to be with the nearby slavers, not neccesarily the slavers aggroed... for example... in the mines before the second level sometimes fauns spawn near the sealed passage to the 2nd level, and the slaver spawn in the other cave. if you kill that slaver, the fauns in the sealed entrance stop attacking.

Glantor Edge likes this.
  5. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Thank you for all your replies! :)

It is interesting to note that there are conflicting observations about Faun behaviours. Some people say that Fauns stop attacking when their slavers are dead, while some Fauns actively "attack" you with spells even if there are no slavers nearby. From personal experience, both views are correct. Here are the areas I've witnessed this duality in behaviour:

Fauns attack without slavers/being damaged at all:
    Tenebris Harbour
    Elysium Mines

Fauns stop attacking once slavers dead:
    Rumour Peaks
    Blackblade Hills

All I can conclude is, the coding is there but not fully implemented or working as intended across all Adventure scenes. I'm hoping this will be resolved in R34 across all Adventure zones.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

Even in Tenebris harbor it's inconsistent. I've had fauns there that leave me alone, I'll run through a pack of 3 or 4 lonely fauns and one of them will aggro at random.

Glantor Edge likes this.
  7. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So there is a range check on slavers to fauns. For example, the fauns in Graff will still attack you if there are slavers nearby in other rooms.

So I suspect in the Case of Tenebrus Harbor that there are Satyrs still in that range check. They may be in houses etc. The range check does not require line of sight.

Glantor Edge likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They stop attacking me once ive killed every satyr in a large radius. A LARGE radius, even on the other side of walls. Until then i slay that last satyr with 6 little sad fauns rooting me. Save the fauns!

Glantor Edge likes this.
  9. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Wow that is a great observation, thank you! There must have been a slaver I missed in elysium mines which is why the faun kept following and attacking me.

10. Hawkthalas

Hawkthalas Avatar

That seems to be correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.