Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Forest Siege

Discussion in 'Release 37 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Traveller13, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I stumbled across a siege of Aerie. Things went well until after I destroyed the third catapult. The two liches then woke up and pretty much ended the siege. I guess Aerie fell shortly afterward. Oops.

I'll have to be about 10 or 20 levels higher before I can handle the scene solo.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Cordelayne, Kara Brae and Alexander like this.
  2. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Yep I just tried it, going from green cultists I can nearly one shot to 3 oranges liches at once isn't a difficulty curve as much as its a difficulty Everest.

getting hit for over 100 a shot...even at 75 you can't last long.

Its a really neat idea, but needs to be a lot easier.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Kara Brae, Chatele and Alexander like this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yep, I just hit a siege in Jaanaford. After clearing out the catapults, I had 6 liches on top of me. I also seem to be trapped in Jaanaford right now. Both exits take me right back into the siege. Would be nice to at least have the option of leaving it all without having to log out, then back onto the over world map. I assume that I have to kill all of the Liches first?

Kara Brae and Chatele like this.
  4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

If there is no option to leave, you know, high tail it out of there, I wont be doing the sieges. :) I should rename my avatar, "The cowardly Lion" if I see I can't do it, i'd like the option to retreat :eek::rolleyes:

Cordelayne and Alexander like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I just think that the option to do the siege should be there. The problem for me is that when I entered Jaanaford (which is where my house is), I didn't have the option to leave town. So, I either did the siege, or become a prisoner in town until the siege moves on, unless I log out then log back in to the overworld map. It just needs to be a bit more flexible. Sometimes, I just need to grab something from the house and head off somewhere else and may have no interest in doing this siege.

Chatele likes this.
  6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Maybe they should allow us to be able to SNEAK pass the siege? I thought I read there was an easier rte pass them, just that i'd take longer? Not sure, could be wrong ....

Cordelayne and Alexander like this.
  7. amnipar

amnipar Avatar

I had the same experience. The Forest Siege scene looked nice, and the idea seems to be interesting. However, 6 powerful liches ruined the experience for me. I could destroy the catapults solo with little difficulty, but had no hope against the liches. Maybe could have defeated one, but the liches keep together and destroy me instantly; tried to attract them one by one into ambush, but failed. And I'm not weak, my character is around level 80... The siege scenes is a cool idea, but requires an alternative ending for solo players, or weaker opponents.

Alexander and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Its interesting that people are seeing different numbers of liches spawn. I had 3 at ~AL75.

Alexander likes this.
  9. uhop

uhop Avatar

My report can be summed up like that: I didn't get it.

I wanted to see beautiful Ardoris people commented on, went there, entered the city and suddenly (!) I am in a forest siege. The scout at the entrance explains that I should destroy three (right?) catapults, and if their engineers show up, I should kill them too. Done. Now what? The scout is less then helpful: "destroy catapults". There are no more catapults!

I found liches and killed them. Now what? Where to go? Where is the city? Why should I kill liches at all?

I broke both gates (I have to notice that they could be broken --- there is no actual need for that, because there are other ways to get inside).

Now (after liches and/or broken gates?) the scout congratulated me. I still found nothing, and no Ardoris. No problem, I went out of the siege scene ("to Novia"), and the city of Ardoris is there in full splendor on the overworld map. "Ardoris", "Enter" ... and I am back in the siege! The scout is still thankful, no catapults, yet the full set of liches is waiting for me.

I tried to exit using a different (opposite) exit, and re-enter the city once more and it worked for some reason.

I still don't know what was the idea. Probably the scout's text can be more concise. He could be more situationally aware, and instruct me that now I need to help with liches. Or gates. Or both. I still don't know. And if I am successful, it would be nice to exit not to Novia, but to Ardoris (or whatever city the siege was attached to). And it is very misleading to stand in a middle of Ardoris (on the map), hit Enter (as shown), and be back at the siege with nothing to do.

People already commented that liches are not for beginners. Clearly not for me too: I died countless times. Partially because it was a battle I was not ready for: severely over encumbered (I could barely move after two buffs --- I wanted to unload in Ardoris), almost out of arrows (went completely out after the first lich). Partially because I didn't know what to do most of the time. Partially because liches fight unfairly --- across the whole space (saw how they casted lightning on me from the other side), without LOS: frequently got hit with no enemy in sight, and I couldn't regenerate because the invisible liches kept me constantly in the combat mode away from healing.

BTW, it was hard to find the only ankh, hard to find a path to it (on the top of a small bluff 3/4 buried). When I resurrected, usually only my head was visible from the ground. A bug, or a novel design idea?

And could somebody explain how it was supposed to be? Please start from the beginning: "The (almost) capital city of Ardoris was sieged by some hoodlums, because ... You didn't see it at first, because ...", and so on.

Alexander likes this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The liches have to go, because this is not a scene that people enter by choice. If you must have such high level mobs, they should be encapsulated in some area that lower level avatars won't stumble upon while killing the cultists, but have to choose to enter. The cultists themselves were ok - they weren't too high level, but there were swarms of them so it was challenging to lower level players.

One thing I found confusing: I saw the catapults and fire outside of Fortus End on the Overland map. I entered the town, expecting to enter the siege scene. However, I ended up in the peaceful town with no siege in sight. Confused, I exited the town again, and voilĂ ! I was in the siege scene.

If I see the scene on the overland map, it should not be possible to circumvent the siege and enter the town.

uhop and Alexander like this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Looking at this Siege, it doesn't really make much sense putting Liches in there, especially since you're not dealing with an army of undead to begin with. So, why not instead, put in a very tough 'Champion' fighter, or something like that, which would fit in more with the theme of the siege??

uhop and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As noted in the release notes the liches are placeholders, eventually they will be replaced with Cabalists.

uhop and Alexander like this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

As noted in the reply to this bug report, you seem get returned to whatever scene you last left. I had the opposite problem - I couldn't get in to Aerie as every exit from the siege returned me to the overland map.

Alexander likes this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I hated my first experience with sieges thus far. Upon trying to enter Ardoris I was pulled into the forest siege. First try, used silent movement to get through and ended up back on the overland map. Second, third, fourth, fifth, times tried with two other players to kill six liches while trying to locate these damned catapults. Finally, after my sixth attempt, it actually let me through to Ardoris. I zoned right past the siege. Did it just take pity on me for dying so much, after losing 20K+ xp!? Grrrr...:mad:

I like the idea, but I just don't get it. Where are these catapults? I'm assuming someone destroyed them before I got there which released the liches. Is that right?

Also, how in the world would a new player be able to do this scene? I'm lvl 62 which isn't that high, but I can't imagine someone lvl 1 attempting this.

Alexander likes this.
  15. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

The catapults are off to the side, usually up a hill a bit. You destroy them by hitting them until they break. There is an engineer at each one that you have to kill as well. I agree that the 6 liches are a bit much, even if they are just placeholders.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

As stated above, there are bugs with exiting the scene at present.

If you travel forward down the road towards the town you will see some wooden walled encampments to the left and right, the catapults are on raised areas behind those. I suspect you're intended to fight your way through the camps, but you can jump up the hill and over the wall to get to the catapults directly. There are red flags where the catapults are stationed so you should be able to tell if they're already destroyed.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah they must have been destroyed before I got into the scene, because I went to those areas and there were no catapults or engineers manning them. Seriously though, the amount of liches needs to be tweaked. Two or three would be alright. Still difficult (at least for me :D) but not so much that it's like banging your head against the wall lol! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.