LOOT ME !

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Abydos, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

That is easily solved by having any death result in severly damaged gear

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

As someone else said if your going to do this you cant do it with items which cost real money, ie the kickstarter items. If you do whats the point of pledging money when I can just kill Barron Ironman and suddenly I'm a baron without any of the considerable expense and support her has been willing to put into the game

3. joeymeyer

joeymeyer Avatar

Loot me as well!

Risk vs Reward system all the way I haven't anymore words to express how strongly i feel about this subject.

Touching on AC suggestion about the "Fields of Honor" I could see that as an interesting concept and only suspending a few virtues and karma but affecting other by journeying to these said fields. such as giving you honor for fighting fair?

Nottured, while reading your comment I found myself delving my mind of a way to handle stolen goods. Eve had a very nice system simply set up with their character creation and long term development of that character. I would think having a simple system that allowed players to engrave subtle messages in their gear with magical influence or even something as primitive as a chisel. I haven't fleshed out the justice repercussions if you were able to produce evidence of being victim of a crime but I am certain there is flexibility here.

I am very hesitant when considering there is going to be a new concept of player match making for a lack of better term. I think what is most concerning is how elaborate the filtering system will be. If the filters will bypass risk/reward instances. So i think giving very broad filters are going to be the best way to handle this. I am extremely eager to view this much closer.

"Don't fly what you can't afford to lose" -Releesquirrel and many others

4. Warin

Warin Avatar

A followup to Ultima without full loot would be heresy, I seriously doubt this wouldn't be part of it. Richard talks at length about how loss motivates and is remembered. That said there will probably be some newbie protection etc.

Chalk me up for full loot all the time once you're out of the newbie zone. With guards in towns etc.

Barring that, because of ******** power, atleast Shadowbane partial loot where you always keep what you have equipped but lose everything else.

5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Full Loot

But
    Like when someone rode off with my boat in UO. I had no way of getting it back.
    Later they made it so you can recall to your boat with a key.

I say there should be for some items of value a way you can either track or mark so you can try and get that back later.

6. Shovelcat

Shovelcat Avatar

Loot is the main purpose of utilima online. Better be able to loot or be loot without restriction.

I would like to say, Ultima Online features was the best i ever saw in all MMORPG. WOW Drop them all and did a 3D diablo in the theme of Warcraft.. I don't think current MMORPG can be called MMORPG, its more ... action/adventure games. Sometimes... a "MMORPG" recreate one or two features from Ultima Online and define the game like a revolution. Archeage seems to have understand how much Ultima Online is the "Ultimate Source" of all the "MMORPG" and it come alot before any other. That's why they recreate all alot of features from UO. Free to do anything you can imagine is the main part of the game. There is no VIP for new gamers. Trying to get more player by have an easy game is nothing to do with game. Next time i will want to play an interface game... i will buy Windows 8. For now... Looting, PKilling, grinding, rune of teleportation, deed of anything is a must. When you want to change your coth color, you have to do a quest, you can call that... No-Content Quest. Last thing... Questing for equipement,,, its something i would like to never hear of.

Thanks

Shovelcat

7. Lord Blackheart

Lord Blackheart Avatar

I never played UO, from what I've read it sounds like it was very interesting. Because of this, I haven't played this genre of game with full loot.

I would be for Full Looting with a few caveats:

I do agree that there needs to be "safe havens" where pvp is not possible.

New players should have some sort of grace period like other pvp type games. Give them a chance to get a feel for the game and how it works before throwing them to the wolves.

Certain unique/special items should not be lootable. I'm not talking about top notch armor, but more like the special items we are given as part of the Kickstarter or similar.

Possibly some sort of character toggle which would allow a person to opt out of pvp for a certain time frame with a cooldown of 24 hours (to keep people from griefing)

I really like the idea of risk involved with an always on pvp component, however, I do agree there are certain (limited) instances where it would be nice to opt out of pvp.

Another idea I had was to have a user setting toggle which each person could control. The higher the risk they were willing have the toggle at would increase the amount of loot taken during pvp, but would increase the reward. This would allow people to essentially decided how much they are willing to risk. Those that are willing to risk it all would be able to get the best loot. Those not willing to risk much wouldn't gain much.

Did I Err?
    -Groo

8. koden2

koden2 Avatar

Full Loot for me please.
    I'll keep a spare set of gear packed in the bank/house ready to go again, or visit the local vendor for a shiny new suit.

I miss the danger of UO. It was scary and thrilling to leave town with some items. I remember having a suite of armour that i was too scared to take out of the bank for ages.
    I loved the tension of seeing another player while out exploring, especially when they were red.

9. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

How full loot will influence my gameplay:

- If full loot is enabled for only PvP, expect me to never, ever, engage in PvP, no matter the incentives. For me, nothing is worth the constant worry of potentially losing everything at a moment's notice. And any potential positive aspect to full loot is lost to me because I equate looting to real life theft, and just like I wouldn't steal in real life, I will never loot another player in a game.

- If full loot, or some other kind of item loss, is present in PvE, then I will restrict myself to offline play, where I can exploit save backups to undo my loses. The exception is if replacing gear is so easy and cheap that, in practice, it merely equates the durability hits most other MMOs seem to use (though this exception doesn't apply to PvP; I don't want other players to gain any loot, at my expense, from killing me, so even if replacements are easy and cheap, I would still not play PvP with full loot).

In other words, with a slight exception that doesn't apply to PvP, I simply won't engage in any gameplay that subjects me to being looted or otherwise losing my inventory.

10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Koden form Atlantic server ??

11. Citizen WarmCat

Citizen WarmCat Avatar

"Don't fly what you can't afford to lose" <- agreed.
    However, some compromise maybe required; how about keep what you are wearing, everything else loootable. Something along those lines might be acceptable.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

Most people who are worried about full loot, I think, are thinking of a WoW gear model, where you have to take a dozen trips to Molten Core, or whatever is the fashionable raid spot for uber loot, waiting for the ideal set of pants to drop to finish out your matched set of uber gear.

If you have a game that is not gear-centric, as was UO Siege Perilous, that isn't a big problem. On UO Siege Perilous, I kept no fewer than 10 combat resupply packs in my bank, complete with armor, weapons, reagents, potions, scrolls, bandages and food. That way, if I fell in battle and was dry looted, a quick run to town for a resurrection, a trip to the bank, and I was ready to take the field again, because gear was cheap. Time was expensive, and I didn't want to waste any getting geared up again.

Love of gear is the root of all evil.

13. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

if you loot someone body you should become RED and anyone can PK you unless of course you're mark as a friend but if not..then yeah you're out of luck especially if you're caught in the act.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

@ChosenPredator, gray for a thief, maybe (using the UO color scheme), but if I just killed someone, am I really going to be all that concerned about a penalty for taking his stuff? Don't you have your values a bit messed up in that you're less worried about the death of another player, and more worried about his stuff? Theft is a greater sin than murder?

And if the killing was lawful, what then? Killing a murderer should afford no penalties on stripping the corpse. I just did society a favor after all.

All in all, it's a bit of an odd suggestion.

15. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

Well if the person is already a murderer it would be acceptable to loot them especially if they're renowned for doing that kind of stuff, but if it's just some random person looting someone corpse who just died I think the character should be mark red for anyone in that person guild or friendlist only if they're caught in on the act of course...not sure how it would work but I am just imagining when someone catches you stealing a sword from skyrim or someone witnesses you killing someone there is always some sort of reaction..it really depends on the individual perhaps some people won't care..makes things interesting (Im for looting btw)

16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Do we have any fresh news about full loot ?

17. lordrex

lordrex Avatar

@abydos: richard never made a game without full loot, and the support is very strong for it. this is one of the things i am less worried about. :)

18. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

+1 for full loot.

I expect you won't be able to loot others without a PvP flag who died to a monster, but I also expect their stuff will remain on their corpse, with the possibility of being looted by monsters.

19. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I would support having a flag, allowing you to drop your loot, on death. If that's what you really want.

20. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I hope we can trap bags. Nothing like watching someone smoke themselves rifling through your baggage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.