Thoughts to stimulate the economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Graynight, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Didn't realize this one in particular, but I know of quite a lot of planned obsolescence B.S. It may literally cause the extinction of the human race. And when it is written into law it is the very definition of crony capitalism.

Plus it's just dumb. We have so many better things to do than repeatedly manufacturing the same thing. Colonizing space. Saving the rainforests. Not being dumb.

Duke Avery and Mac2 like this.
  2. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

So you found a way to not have your gear degrade, such that you don't have to participate in the economy either.. yay.. I am not saying the super specialized gear has no value, just that as an average player, getting that level of gear does not make financial sense. The amount of effort to get it, just to chance loosing it in PVP makes it unwise for a small boost in a couple skills. The game is fully playable with a set of crafted equipment with no enchantments or masterworking. That unenhanced equipment will get me through 99% of the game and took no effort to make.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

But its not just a boost in a couple skills, its focus, spell crit rate, hp, hit rate block rating and some others. Stats do a lot for you character, which is probably why they are the most expensive skills to level up. I can't do some of the things I do without having crafted gear, I could not do chillbanes, or control points, or the corpion, or the dragon. There is a lot I could do, and for those I use founder gear. I do participate in the economy, I buy the raw mats, and sometimes the odd piece of gear if it has what I am looking for on it and its the right price. I unstack my regs and make sure I have enough coin to pay for ransoms when I pvp. The gear itself is not worth much in form of ransoms, its if they get a good stack of something, that's when it gets expensive. I do agree with things should be worth more on vendors, I got a set of carapacian pants with +8 int on them for 5000. 14 beetles alone is worth 5600 at 400 a pop.

4. mass

mass Avatar

I have 4 +9 wands on my vendor for 2,000 each. Granted, stats aren't perfect, but for only 2,000? Been on there for weeks. Part of my problem is nobody frequents Spite, but I think some people do underappreciate the stats on gear, particularly if you've only had 1/1 gear. You really can be pretty competent levels 1 - 60 with pretty basic gear.

Mac2 likes this.
  5. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

TBH, I have never had access to higher level gear, and the grind to make it is so boring, I gave up making it. I got in the game to craft, but right now, crafting means grinding mats, which is incredibly boring. I hate combat, but you have to do it to farm, and buying raw mats makes less than zero financial sense. bleh

bwtdozer likes this.
  6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

+9 gear with crappy bonuses and bad mats are worth less than a decent +5. At least the +5 isn't going to rot away in a week.

7. mass

mass Avatar

Might be a little tangential to the topic, but you guys check these out and let me know if you think I'm over charging. Kind of related since inappropriate pricing contributes to a stagnant economy.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any of these not worth 2,000 gold?

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Planned obsolescence?

I know they did lights with long time wires but then they decide to reduce burning time more and more to sell lamps.
    There was a chenist who invented a material for car tires what never would be rubbed of in the life of a motor.
    I don't know if it was Good Year or Michelin who buyer the patent for several million dollars to hide it in a drawer .

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Mac2 like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

2000?

Damn I buyer +7 for 7000 each. Save 2 for me :D

mass likes this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

As of that post, they were all still on my vendor in Spite. Feel free to stop by.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Will watch for him, where is he around?
    I know Spite well, it's near to my Hometown.

Edit: saw your signature ;)

mass likes this.
  12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yep I want the +9 with the +6 int. I will come find your vendor.

mass likes this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

These wands kind of go to my point about the messed up commodity prices. I don't really think these are too far underpriced, but the silver ore needed just to master work them has a market value of around 2,000 gold. If the only value of the silver was making equipment, I suspect demand would not be so high, but since we need it to level skills demand is insanely artificially increased, with a similarly insane price increase. If this were different, I might be able to make a profit from these wands (though slim). If I was making a profit here, I'd be buying more stuff from other players.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

From left to right, cost for you to make them based on breakage if you had a proficiency of 100, with the caveat that I price items with a dura bonus as 2.6 x the initial crafting cost, and non dura bonus at .6 x the intial crafting cost. This is due the the dura bonus being far more valuable in the long run, but you CAN still sell off non dura stuff, so it isn't worth 0.

Your cost in mats using current market prices:

For stats, the one on the left is worth the most in my eyes, as it's totally spellcaster oriented. Too bad it didn't start as a +1. The one on the right is next, but less considerably less so than the first due to the lack of INT bonuses. Middle two are probably being used by someone for DEX bonuses in some build, I don't know.

But look at the disconnect we have here. You were (probably sold by now) having problems selling these wands for 2,000, even though they cost you 10x that much in mats! Additionally, you are here asking if they are even worth 2,000.

So what the heck do we do about that?

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The main issue for me is the waste/breakage and RNG.
    Sure, you can work out the cost in mats, but when you factor in the failure %s or worse, the % chance of getting the actual mw/enchants you want, and multiply out how much it would cost you using that probability to get exactly that item, the prices go much, much higher. I hope the upcoming crafting patch addresses this because as it is there's no point in crafting anything but consumables if you're looking to do it as an income.

mass, Mac2 and codedragon76 like this.
  16. Sir Aular Glorthalion

Sir Aular Glorthalion Avatar

Would an offer-mechanism help with the stagnation? So, I post a +7 longsword for 7K. Someone could see it on my vendor and put an offer for 4K. I'd have the option of accepting it or rejecting it. I know this can happen if people talk to each other and barter/negotiate, but any automation of this would help with more purchases.

This wouldn't, however, help with the problem of crafted items' prices not exceeding the individual material costs' prices.

Stundorn, mass and codedragon76 like this.
  17. mass

mass Avatar

The non-ideal stats are a result of the RNG. I basically made these as more of an effort to reach a masterwork leveling goal rather than with the specific intent to make wands. I don't mind the RNG so much, that's why they are priced 'cheaply'; I think having imperfect outcomes provides for a range of pricing.

But the main point is that the mats market is driven artificially by the need to level and not the need to make goods. If we had alternative ways to level crafting skills without raw materials, I think that would help.

(Although, this is making me seriously consider selling mats for a while just to raise some gold ;)).

Mac2 likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You can make mad coin selling mats. I did go and get that +6 int wand already, thank you for posting that.

mass likes this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Dex Wands are good for Air Magic Users.
    I have to Wands with each 15% less reagents costs.
    That is very usefull.

Mac2 likes this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This is exactly the issue, crafters are subsidizing buyers by selling far under price because they "just want to level." Additionally, a lot of crafters don't even KNOW how much their item cost to make. That 17,000 is with % chance of failure worked in @kaeshiva.

Imagine that in real life. Ok, you're a junior carpenter learning your trade. You make some stuff and sell it for less than you spent on it, just to learn your trade.

Probably not going to happen, except when you're literally in the trade school.

After you become a Master carpenter in RL, are you going to KEEP selling below price? And not even know how much it costs you?

Not a chance. If you do you go out of business. This is basically when you have to go back to harvesting mats to craft because you're not making any money on your crafts.

This actually does happen in RL a lot. That's why there aren't a lot of artisan shops anymore, because cheap trash from Walmart bottomed out the market. Funny enough, it also breaks before you get it home.

My first suggestion would be know how much your items cost to make and don't sell for less than that.

Of course this means nothing will be masterworked or enchanted past the first level until the update, but that's right around the corner anyway.

Also how about Durability being based on the skill of the crafts person?

Mac2 and Solazur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.