Thoughts to stimulate the economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Graynight, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Some crafting changes on the way will make specializing in fewer crafts benificial enough to make folks wanna concentrate on it.

Even if somone GMs every crafting skill, the person who focuses on 1 will not only get that 1 faster, but be able to make it better.

I've heard gathering skills might be on that same road if they arent already. You can do everything, but getting really good at 1 make su better at the one that someoen who GMs everything

Baratan likes this.
  2. Armar

Armar Avatar

That had just been a rather random number. But i think it would probably take me 2 years real time to sit with my char about 500 times on a chair in a virtual home.

Decay should apply to every (player made) object. The decay of a house and furniture should be a multitude of weapons and armor, off course.

For me this comes naturally. You know, there are quite some game design decissions i cant really understand.

cheers,

// Armar

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    codedragon76 likes this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Partly, that's at least my (here we go) impression.
    Can't proof it though.
    Would have to do some walking for that and at the moment my ISP stops me from pretty much anything that's internet related ^^

4. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Had no time to read the whole thread yet but want to share my thoughts on this:

The main incentive our economy needs are more player... lots of them... right now we got a great community of players, but basically the wrong mix of them for a stable and working economy. At the moment most of the players are here to help the game develop and all of it. Most of us are here to litteraly help build something... which means many of us are the crafty kind of players natural crafter types if you want to say so. With a much larger player base there will be more players not that craftig-affine. Consumers... a larger market.. that's the most basic thing we need for our economy...

majoria70, Numa, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am sorry earl atogrim, I was just getting in a mood last night. I agree just a little more gold in game so a casual player can afford regs, taxes and the odd ransom if they want to try some pvp. They did put in a diminishing returns system on using cotos to repair your gear, items will not last forever already.

kinkara, pickpocketing does not generate gold, those people paying ransoms got the gold from farming for coin. the pickpocketing itself only transfers gold, therefore is neutral.

6. Night Raven

Night Raven Avatar

You would have to be more specific with regards to the reset. If you are talking about a complete reset of everyone's skills, lands, recipes, etc. that cannot happen. Some people have put 100s or even 1000s of hours into their character development. To reset everyone back to the beginning would really upset just about the entire community and this game would instantly die (my opinion). Furthermore, some people have already spent real life money to buy from others and to do a reset would raise a whole bunch of legal issues that I am not sure anyone really wants to handle.

You can repay me with in game gold or other stuff, but you cannot replace time. So I am not sure a reset is the answer either.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You are of course right but don't get baited in derailing the topic.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

We want gold to be turning over regularly so that things can flow about. Here's some ideas.

1) Gold. (Increase the Money Supply) Right now it's more profitable for a noob to log in and do the Oracle for a few months and not even PvE.
    • Note, the following are terrible ideas UNLESS there is more wealth in the economy. If there isn't more wealth in the economy then don't even read #2.
    2) Increase gold use (Demand for Goods.)
    1. Furniture should break with use, as @Armar said.
    2. If you have a large estate your NPC's need to be paid, fed, clothed, armed (whoa! Crazy, I know.)
    3. Sieges enter towns if not repelled. Cabalists run around and burn down our houses. Burnt out houses aren't destroyed, but take resources to return to their previous state. (Maybe the furniture inside is destroyed unless it's a rare, in which case it winds up back in your bank.)
    3) An informed marketplace.
    • Lots of people have no idea what an item costs to craft, even if they made it. I have published a catalog of furniture in early November and keep promising and updated price list with the lower materials costs taken into account, but because I'm off in the Otherworld doing Otherwordly things, here it is copy pasted in. If you want to see older prices you can find catalogs in front of my vendor in New Britannia Market.
    • Take a look at the price of a Basket. So expensive! Same with a Bucket. Not posted here but a RED Stall Awning is about 800g cheaper to make because Blue/Green use tree bark. Bookshelves are super cheap, but a Dinner Chair is almost 1000g! Gothic chairs are only 246 though. If you saw the Dinner Chair for it's true price you would think the crafter was trying to swindle you.
    • (And of course good armor/weapons are super super expensive, the best easily costing 500,000 gold to make. No one can afford that without a steady flow of gold into the economy. See #1.)
    Accordion 688
    Antique Room Divider 706
    Arrow 0.292
    Bagpipe 578
    Barn Stall 1748
    Basket 324
    Bed 1268
    Bench 343
    Blank Signs 165
    Bleachers 1225
    Blue Stall Awning 2392
    Bookshelf 294
    Brown Suede Arm Chair 683
    Brown Suede Ottoman 366
    Brown Suede Sofa 1754
    Brown Suede Wingback Chair 958
    Bucket 464
    Bunk Bed 2752
    Chair 302
    Chair 351
    Padded Chair 400
    Corner Rough Wooden Fence 491
    Dinner Bench 857
    Dinner Chair 955
    Dresser 637
    Fan 466
    Fancy Bed 2386
    Fancy Stool 914
    Flute 224
    Gated Rough Wooden Fence 806
    Giant Rough Wooden Paver 1201
    Gothic Chair 246
    Gothic Table 442
    Green Stall Awning 2392
    Guillotine 1077

Off to do Otherworld farming in the Otherworld. Still easier than filling buckets in SotA ;)

9. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

That's all I do no reason to play. Up to 25K right now still poor but I don't have 4 or 5 hours to play a game every day. Work, Family!!!!!!!!!! I do go gather some resources from time to time and kill a few things on the way.
    1. The only real changes I see are eye candy to the game. (makes the game run worse)
    2. Can't afford the regs to be a good mage.
    3. Nobody in game you log into multi player and their like 3 people in town and 2 people gathering resources in a area.

My thoughts on the state of the game is not nothing like I expected. I was thinking like the old UO or even WOW (of course with different things to do and different content) where they were actually other people around but that's impossible here because you can't move if you get 10 or so people in one area. It's not my PC this is also my work at home PC with decent specks, i7 4790K @ 4.6, 32GB of memory, GTX 980, game loaded on a SSD, solid net connection.

My thoughts on the Economy. It is what it is. The people that had a lot of play time when you could get 20K + gold a hour or so will always be rich (their already rich) people that have a hour or so play time and did not get the gold then will always be poor. I will never be able to afford housing not even a roll lot because I did not get a tax free lot with my original pledge. No way with the way loot drops now that I could ever pay the tax with a limited play time of about 5 hours a week and a bit more on the weekend.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  10. Armar

Armar Avatar

I can sure understand one doesnt want to loose a lot of time/fruits of his online work but in a pre-release state it might be neccessary to do, at least a partial reset to kickstart the economy for release..... just my 2 cents...

// Armar

11. Armar

Armar Avatar

This problem is solvable.

The offer of (IMO expensive) in-game assets for "real-life" money as part of the game funding is IMO the biggest mistake they made. This the the "real" problem.

// Armar

12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I love reading all these posts about fixing the economy. Shouldnt be more like create an economy? IMO there currently is not a player ran economy at all, maybe on some crafting components but thats about it very limited. If you like crafting you have virtually no reason to hire anyone to do anything for you, if you dont like crafting and are in a guild chances are you can get 99% of what you need through the guild at no cost.

Garfunkel Humperdinck, Numa and Spoon like this.
  13. Armar

Armar Avatar

Hi,

Furniture breakage should happen in very reasonable timespans only. Like once every real-life year. One would have to do calculations based on analyzed game data to make a decission how long furniture should last.

You must pay for NPCs off course but i dont think its neccessary to give that much detail to it. Like to choose the cloth and pay for them.

Sieges outside of meaningless instances you can forget in this game. Thats not possible with real-life money involved in housing and, as far as i understand the playerbase here, probably not wanted by most of them anyway. Unluckily. IMO the Shadowbanes siege concept had been pretty good and very promising. Just way too laggy...

Correct, thats totally missing. Thanks for posting the interesting item list.

// Armar

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know that's the general idea but if stuff ultimately breaks, nobody will pay for the really good stuff. The only way to get people to buy the really good stuff is to make it really cheap to produce, so that when it does break, people can afford to replace it. I personally thought that Portalarium had the major repair with COTOs thing right the first time. Nobody would waste a COTO on a low to mid range piece of gear, better to just replace it, and the potential for selling the really good stuff existed because people knew that they could repair it back to original, so they would be willing to spend the big coin for it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who is turning a profit from making the top-notch gear right now.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Although I bought tax free from the playermarket, a row is, if you login 5 of 7 days possible.
    Before I buyed the tax free i bought a a taxed row deed.
    Tax is 500/d , the Oracle pays for you the days you log in.
    Then get 1000 gold and pay the 2 days left.
    I know your issues, I had the same and you are right if you cannot or will not login this much like I from time to time. That's why I bought the tax free.
    I am still for myself optimizing outcome related to reagencies cost etc. and I can grow 3 of 6 and this all helps, but now you can even grow some in a row house.
    Of course it's expensive or not easy to get/ craft.
    By many backers with big pledges someone without that feel far away or even impossible to accomplish that, but you still grow, even if you spend most time in RP and idle like me and don't grind very much.
    I am still figuring out how to optimize a deck to kill mobs and lower costs or have zero costs.
    I can do that with discharge and ice arrow.
    No costs, just spam them to melee only bunches of mobs and run circles, kite them to death.
    With no cost and maybe t2 or t3 area with a bunch of bandits only melee you make profit.
    Try or ask me for more help. Some month ago I posted the same way, but I have to say yes I buyed a tf lot deed, lot of Moon related pledge items and stuff etc...
    But this is nothing about developing further beside the possibility to grow reagencies.
    But this was impossible when I had a row, but until it is possible but I see very hard to get one if not for real money

16. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Imo crafting should be some how limited. Either by restricting total crafting exp or by introducing a labor point system as used on many Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds. You get x points a day to spend crafting, you can't do it all.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ultimately, you can. It just takes longer.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Not practically in the examples given. I'd spend some gold buying food if I had to spend precious crafting points to make my own instead of a 15 second diversion. I'd probably not gather every single resource node I saw if I knew there was a cost associated with that gathering.

It would increase the value of crafted goods and gathered resources.

19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Closing down the online store would result in a drastic reduction in income for Portalarium, and probably result in the game's failure to launch. Unless, of course, you want to step in and fund development.

Numa likes this.
  20. Armar

Armar Avatar

Traditionally one can have armor and weapons repaired in time before breakage occurs. The more worn, the more costly. This costs resources. No need to have desintegration date on it.

// Armar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.