Doug's (IronMaiden) Chemo Relief Fund - GoFundMe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Jan 11, 2017.

?

IronMaiden Chemo Relief Fund Cloak - Design Vote - Which is your favorite? (Shown Below in OP)

Poll closed Jan 19, 2017.
  1. 1

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. 2

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 3

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 4

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. 5

29 vote(s)
    30.2%
  6. 6

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. 8

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. 9 - same as #8, but with the dark blue fur (image coming soon)

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. 10

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

yes you can morgoth just read the initial post theres a place where you can go put money for the cause :)

Thexedor Markhamm likes this.
  2. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

aha i better go read the initial post then thx for that
    oki went there and was nice so dropt of some gold and some materials hope it will help some

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Monday Morning Update:

1. Wow - we had an incredible weekend drive - roughly $3000 raised in 2 days! My inbox is stuffed with donations & questions and I will work through it today and respond to each and every one of you. Thanks for your patience. :)
    2. The Gold Rush Weekend Giveaway - I will announce the winners today. A smashing success as per our fundraising numbers this weekend. All donated gold (as noted in some posts above) goes toward events like this. Thanks again to @Hazard for donating the IGG for this weekend's contest. As you can see from #1 above, it paid in huge dividends for Doug. The more donations we receive, the more fun and rewarding we can make fundraising! :) If you would like to donate some supplies (in-game) please visit the OP in this thread for instructions on how to do so. And, don't forget to leave a note so I can thank you personally. :)
    3. And now, as promised, something for you all to 'chew on' :p -

4. We're closing in on the 15K stretch goal: Make Thex Suffer #3 - 5 Mile Costume Run - time to start getting some ideas put together on what you kind and generous folks would like to see me wear. Not sure I can add another Poll on this thread, but I'll figure it out. Let's get some suggestions going - we're almost there (to 15K)!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Brutal! Nice try Thexedor, FYI water....bad idea! lol

Also remember PaxLair's event on Feb 11th where we'll continue the contributions!

5. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Yes, water - I tried both milk and water to stop the burn. Even ate a banana. I employed everything BUT the kitchen sink strategy. Only time soothed the fire. ;)

In regards to the PaxLair event, I'm just waiting to get a formal announcement (schedule of events) from you and I'll be making a post about it. Has it been finalized? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks, Sean!!!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Gold Rush Weekend Results:

As promised, here are the winners of this weekend's Gold Rush Giveaway (special thanks to Google Random Number Generator for selecting the winners) :) :

1. Human Corpse
    2. Marthos Dunesworth
    3. Tailz Suvorov
    4. James Thunder
    5. Eternal Knightmen

Congrats to all, you each have won 100K of IGG!

To collect, please friend me in-game (Thexedor Markhamm) and we'll meet up!

THANKS TO ALL FOR PLAYING! There will be more giveaways coming up!

PS - EVERYBODY SHOULD FRIEND ME IN-GAME - I'd love to meet you all!

7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Excellent attempt on the peppers. Glad you 1) skipped the ghost pepper and 2) stopped with one habanero. Challenges are great and everything but we don't want you getting sick!

Congrats to all the winners of the gold! Woo Whooo!

8. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

You'll get the next one, Rhiannon! More giveaways to come. :)

Rhiannon likes this.
  9. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

For the costume I think a firedancer outfit and equip yourself with coconut halves and have a friend in a skeleton outfit drag you into a random encounter while LARPing.

10. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Well there's an idea! It seems (no matter the costume) running while clapping coconuts is a popular idea. :)

11. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

So if I "like" this post/suggestion -enthusiastically- will it take me out of the running for the gold windfall?

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

For future reference, the compounds in peppers that make them "hot" are oil soluble. Next time try swishing around a mouthful of cooking oil.

13. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

Wow! I had completely forgotten about it, but i won 100k igg from this! thx Thexedor, i'll definitely continue to help spread the word.

14. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Not just running w/ coconuts... to do this correctly, one must skip w/ coconuts. Good luck.

15. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund Cloak Distribution & In-game Donation Drive -

When: Saturday, January 28th

Times:
    8-11 NBT (CST), 1-5 NBT (CST), 7-12 (Midnight) NBT (CST)

Dawn's Keep (Just S. of Central Brittany) - At the telethon donation center, near entrance, directly across from O&M Farms

About:

Good news, everybody, the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund Cloaks will be available starting in R38 (Thursday Morning 1/26/17)! Portalarium has requested that I personally hand out these rare cloaks to donors of the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund. It was my original intention to have them claimable in the banks, but I've been told that will not be an option for this item. So...this presents a challenge for me, considering there are currently well over 250 cloaks that need delivery and as you all know: warping around New Britannia ain't free and easy. ;) So...

Here's my plan. Lemons to lemonade scenario. I will be stationed in Dawn's Keep for most of the day on Saturday, January 28th (times listed above). I would ask all of you to pop in and pay me a visit. I'll be lonely sitting on an empty telethon lot, after all. :p I have all of the donations meticulously recorded (as you know) and will be happy to distribute your cloak and say thanks in person.

ALSO, this presents an awesome opportunity for YOU, our generous donors, to bring some items (mats, gold, unwanted rares, etc) to the donation center and make a deposit. Just a reminder: all in-game donations will be used to put on the telethon (takes a lot of mats to build out a keep-sized lot) and/or given out as prizes or converted to cash for contribution to the IMCRF. We need everything we can get.

One man's junk is another man's...you know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: handing out these cloaks does not represent the END of the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund Charity Drive. We are halfway to the goal, and I asked Portalarium to make these cloaks available now (during the second half of this initiative) and they have agreed.

This serves 2 purposes:

1. Non-donors will see the cloaks in-game, want one, and become donors. So wear them, flaunt them, and be proud. If people ask you where you got it, tell em. Spread the the word. :)

2. They will be available for our big telethon on February 10th and it will be AWESOME to see everybody cloaked in blue and purple in solidarity with Iron Maiden. Remember, IMCRF telethon details are available here (including time, schedule of events, VIPs, and more).

Cloak Quantity: I will be receiving enough cloaks (for Saturday) to make sure everybody who has donated will get one, plus a few more to catch future donations (through Saturday). @Berek has agreed that I will have access to as many as needed to ensure all donors (now and future) will get a cloak during the entire IMCRF campaign. So do not fret if you have not already made your donation - you will be able to donate and receive this reward until the end of the GoFundMe effort (date TBD soon). This initial run at distribution is meant to get as many cloaks into as many donors hands as possible to lighten the load of distribution for myself and a few volunteers who may be helping to get them all out.

Cloak Rarity: To preserve rarity of this item (and more importantly, the purpose of this item) I would ask that any 3rd party reselling of this item DOES NOT occur until after the GoFundMe drive ends. I can't make you do anything, but if somebody sells their cloaks to another player (for cash or igg) who would have otherwise made a donation to get one...well, you get the picture. Iron Maiden will lose out on that donation which is against the spirit of this initiative. Please keep your cloaks and wear them proudly to DRIVE UP donations.

Thexedor's Promise: I understand I am in a unique position of having access to an unlimited number of rare items in the game. It was my intention to provide the devs with a list of donors so they could distribute them and remove any concerns of abuse. Understandably, they are very busy (as we are nearing launch) so they have asked that I handle the responsibility on their behalf. Again, the devs should be applauded for taking the time to design this cloak on our behalf, and for supporting this charity drive. With that being said, I still hold the responsibility of distributing these awesome cloaks to all of you. To assuage any concern of abuse and to preserve rarity, I vow to destroy all extra IMCRF cloaks after the GoFundMe drive is over and all donors have received their rewards. I have 3 accounts and I will only be keeping 3 cloaks for the 3 donations I have made in their names. If needed, I will ask Portalarium to audit my accounts to verify this has occurred.

European Donors: I understand the time zone difficulty we may face in distributing your cloaks. I am working on a plan to rectify this. Either I will have to pull an all-nighter to get you your reward, or I will be reaching out to European players I trust to help distribute the cloaks. If possible, please try and visit me in DK on Saturday evening or early in the morning. Rest assured, I will do all that I can to make sure you get your cloak in a timely manner. Thanks (in advance) for your patience and understanding.

For those unable to visit Dawn's Keep on Saturday: Fret not, I log into the game several times per day (as real life allows :p) and we will meet up. Make sure you friend me in-game (Thexedor Markhamm) and message me when you see me on-line. We'll get it handled.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND SUPPORT :)

Depending on how this first distribution day goes, I may plan other designated times (including the telethon) to distribute the cloaks. I would prefer to get them distributed beforehand, however, as I will be busy during the telethon itself, working the phones (so to speak) to drive up donations. :) Check the OP for additional times for future 'organized' cloak distribution.

TL:DR -

1. If you donated $25 or more to the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund, you may visit me in-game on Saturday (January 28th - time/details above) to claim your cloak. Or message me in-game to work out a time to pick it up.
    2. Bring any in-game mats, gold, or rares you'd like to donate to support the telethon and GoFundMe Drive to drop off at the donation center.

As always, thanks to all for helping build this incredible movement for Doug and wear your PURPLE an BLUE Proudly.

For more information on the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund (including how to donate) - please visit this thread.

Best Regards,

Thex

CC:

@Berek @DarkStarr @Chaox

Sentinel2, Asclepius, Numa and 6 others like this.
  16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Once again, thank you Thexedor for continuing to go above and beyond for this worthy cause to help a fellow community member. You're a real life avatar.

17. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

See? *calls wife in the room* See? :p

Numa, fonsvitae, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  18. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

PaxLair's Festival of Sequanna

When: Saturday, February 11th 11-2pm NBT(CST)

About: Join the denizens of PaxLair to celebrate the virtue of Love. They will be hosting a big in-game festival with several activities focused around everybody's favorite virtue: <3. There will be kissing booths scattered around the festival. All in-game gold proceeds from those booths will be donated to the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund. Thanks, PaxLair!

See this thread for more information and a full schedule of events.

Alexander and By Tor like this.
  19. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Always glad to help people in real need. :)

By Tor likes this.
  20. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

R38 - Zone Out Community Outreach for Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund

When: 1/26/2017 - ALL DAY - R38 Release

Hey Everybody,

Been busy in noble chat, discord, twitter, etc. to get the word out about what we're doing to help Iron Maiden. Many of you have also stepped up and spoke with your guilds and fellow town citizens about our goal to help Iron Maiden. We've done a pretty thorough job reaching across New Britannia and our donation total proves it. We've passed the half way point. Bravo!

Well...tomorrow a whole new batch of players are going to return to us with the highly anticipated release 38. Typically, after a release our population grows 2 to 3 times! Think of all the avatars that will return and may not know about the Chemo Fund and the awesome rewards associated with helping Doug. There's a huge opportunity to reach them and drive up donations to help get Iron Maiden the treatment he needs.

I'd like to ask you all for help, if I may.

What if we used the power of our ALL our voices to get the word out in New Britannia? Due to the constraints of in game communication, I can only reach the nobles in chat or talk to people in the zone I am currently visiting. What if we all (the supporters of this cause) use the /z (zone chat feature) to mention the Chemo Fund throughout the day as we travel about? We'll all be moving through different parts of the world and together we can connect with a lot of players (new and old) that may not be aware of what we are doing and why. This led me to an idea I'm calling the Zone Out.

It's simple:

When you travel to a new zone (scene, town, overland) give the Chemo Fund a shout out using the /z command in the chat widow. Examples of what I do look like this:

Help a fellow avatar battle cancer. Donate $25 to the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund to receive an exclusive cloak. For more information, visit our thread in the SotA Forums/Gen Discussion!

Community call to action. Avatar in need. Visit Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund in the SotA Forums/Gen Discussions. Donate $25 or more to receive an exclusive in-game reward!

You get the picture. Feel free to use any of those (listed above) or get creative.

BUT Please DO make sure to mention where they can find more info (reference this thread) as I did above, or tell them to go to GoFundMe and search for Iron Maiden.

Couple suggestions on decorum:

1. Don't get spam happy - one /z message per zone should be sufficient.
    2. When you arrive at a zone, wait a minute or two and see if somebody else has already Zoned Out that scene.
    3. Be polite; even if someone is rude. It happens. Ignore and move on.
    4. Remember what we're doing this for and BE PROUD.

Let's continue to show all gaming communities how we take care of our own. You know, set a virtuous example for others. :) Get involved and help spread the word all across New Britannia!

Thanks to all who continue to support Iron Maiden!

*Courage Salute*

-Thex

Mortanius and By Tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.