Doug's (IronMaiden) Chemo Relief Fund - GoFundMe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Jan 11, 2017.

?

IronMaiden Chemo Relief Fund Cloak - Design Vote - Which is your favorite? (Shown Below in OP)

Poll closed Jan 19, 2017.
  1. 1

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. 2

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 3

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 4

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. 5

29 vote(s)
    30.2%
  6. 6

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. 8

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. 9 - same as #8, but with the dark blue fur (image coming soon)

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. 10

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

IRON MAIDEN CHEMO RELIEF FUND

Current Stats (as of 3/10/2017):
    Donations total: $55,000
    of $25K
    GoFundMe Likes: 368
    Social Media Shares: 282

This GoFundMe drive will officially end on Friday, February 19th, 2017 @ 11:59 PM. All donations to receive rewards must be made before then.

This thread is becoming monstrous and is constantly updated. :) I've added sections to help navigate all of the important information presented here.

1. Urgent Call to Action
    2. How to Donate (Financially - GoFundMe)
    3. How to Donate In-Game (Virtual Donations)
    4. About Doug (Iron Maiden's Story)
    5. Rewards (including Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund Cloak)
    6. Make Thex Suffer (Stretch Goals)
    7. Fundraising Events
    8. In the Media

1. URGENT CALL TO ACTION

One of our community members is in need of our help. Doug (Iron Maiden) recently discovered he has stage 4 colon cancer. He has been a long-time backer and supporter of Shroud of the Avatar. He has 7 accounts (ranging from LOTM to Edelmann), multiple add-on store purchases, and several player bought items and lot deeds. He is heavily invested (as you can imagine), but now needs to cash out to relieve the overwhelming medical bills required to continue his chemo treatments. Doug originally sought a single investor to buy all of the accounts, but due to the size and value of Doug's investment it has proven difficult.

I've spoken to Doug and offered an alternative to help. I have setup a GoFundMe for Doug in order to 1) provide him the financial relief he needs more quickly and 2) purchase Doug's holdings as a community to further more virtuous works in and out of game.

Please join us in this effort and give what you can afford. If we pull together, we can not only provide Doug with the treatment he needs, we can set the standard among other gaming communities for what it means to take action and turn our love for our game and our community into a tangible, life-altering event. That's real magic, folks.

2. HOW TO DONATE (FINANCIALLY - GOFUNDME)

So, here we go (Two Steps):

1. Go to Doug's (Iron Maiden) Chemo Relief Fund

2. After donating $25 or more, please PM me with your name, in-game email, and in-game name, so I can reserve you an awesome Iron Maiden Chemo Relief fund cloak!

FAQ: Does GoFundMe accept Paypal?

Surprisingly no. If you can only donate via Paypal PM me for a workaround.

Please visit and learn more about Doug and give what you can. This is our opportunity to prove yet again we have the best, most generous community in gaming history.

All proceeds from the GoFundMe and the charity auction will go to Iron Maiden up to $25K (per Doug's request). Any additional funds will be put in a charity fund for other Avatars who are in critical need (also per Doug's request). He would like to pay this effort forward.

3. HOW TO DONATE IN-GAME (VIRTUAL DONATIONS):

For Avatars who are unable to help financially, but want to contribute to the cause. Here's some ways to help:

:D Please donate in-game materials by visiting our donation drop off box in Dawn's Keep (at the site of the telethon - near entrance - by gustball field and Oracle). We need tons of mats to craft stages, tables, chairs, and more for fundraising events. Everything helps.

:D There will also be a gold donation vendor placed on-site. Simply select a donation amount from his inventory and pay. Simple as that. The in-game gold will be used for raffle prizes and any remainder will be converted to cash and donated to the Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund.

:D Rares and Craftables - we welcome all rares (items/houses/deeds/add-ons). These items will be given away as prizes at events or converted to cash and donated to the Iron Maiden's Chemo Fund. Craftables (armor, food, weapons, furniture etc) will also be given away as prizes, used to support other charity initiatives or converted to cash and donated to the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund.

[​IMG]

Please visit the donation center and drop off your goods. Also, leave a note if you'd like. I'd love to say thank you!

4. ABOUT DOUG (IRON MAIDEN'S STORY)

Iron Maiden is 53 years old, married, with 1 son who's 32. He has 3 beautiful grand kids : Daegan 6, Cora 2, and Griffin, a newborn.

Doug still a runs a BBS (gamemastersrealm.com/client), collects old BBS game doors (BBSFiles.com), hosts game servers for Never Winter Nights (nordock.net), host game servers for Quake, Tribes 1, Tribes 2, Wolfenstein, Freelancer and even an old Shard for playing Ultima Online Renaissance. On top of digital gaming, Iron Maiden also hosts and runs the North Texas RPG Con (ntrpgcon.com) every year.

Doug's lived a blessed life with no major health problems. Then, (in November 2016) the doctor finds a mass in his transverse colon. After several CT scans and surgery, they discover Iron Maiden has Stage 4 Colon Cancer. Doug has started his second round of intense chemotherapy, with many, many more rounds of treatment on the horizon.

The goal of this fundraiser is to help Iron Maiden recoup his large SoTA investment (over 25K) to help pay for the chemotherapy he needs.

He is humbled by the support of this community and thankful that so many would step up and help a stranger in need. Together, we can make true magic happen. :)

[​IMG]

Iron Maiden and his granddaughter, Cora.

Clarification on Iron Maiden's name(s):

It was was brought to my attention that there is another IronMaiden in game. Doug, who this fund is for, goes by Iron Maiden (with a space) in-game. On the forums, however, he goes by IronMaiden (no space). Thanks @Preachyr for pointing this out.

A message from Iron Maiden:

"I am humbled that so many people I've never met are willing to help. I really wish I could give each of you something from the accounts I have, especially if the $25k is reached since at that point, all I own in this game will belong to the community. I know being someone who has been able to put $25k in a game over the last few years sounds like I'm "rich" since who could put that kinda of money in a "game". But I was a long time player of UO and actually still host a UO shard... and I had hoped this would be a place I could spend a couple of hours a week playing and with such limited time, it was worth the price of getting things now vs "earning" things in game. But as things change, I realize I'll need this "fun" money for my treatments. I am positive I will beat cancer or at worst, keep it bay and be around another 20 years (I wanna see my grand kids grown up). So again I am so thankful for those helping to "buy my assets" it will all be put to good use, and if somehow after all this I still end up with some type of account, I'll still login to visit and try and meet everyone in game at some point... actually I could probably login to the game some time during this campaign to just say hi or give tours of lots or whatever... can't do too much, it wears me out sitting at the computer for more than an hour..."

-Doug

A message from Iron Maiden's son:

"I just wanted to reach out and thank you for leading this community drive for my dad. He is so bogged down with other worries that this will surely take a load off him and if it funds I am sure the extra income will be welcome. I am blown away by this community and the Devs who are so willing to help out."

- David

5. REWARDS

$25 or more - Exclusive In-Game Cloak for Contributors

@DarkStarr and the other devs have graciously offered to provide all backers ($25 dollars minimum) of Doug's (Iron Maiden) Chemo Relief Fund with an exclusive in-game cloak. This cloak will carry the unique name: Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund. The style will be based-off of the ever-popular community events cloak (shown below).

Couple points on design choices:
    Doug's favorite color is purple.
    Dark blue is the awareness color for colon cancer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FAQ: Can I get multiple cloaks with multiple account donations?

Yes, it will require $25 per alt account. Don't forget to PM me with your account email addresses and character names. :)

FAQ: I donated and did not find my cloak in the bank similar to other reward items?

This item is not available in the bank, as with all community event cloaks, and it must be distributed by the event planner (in this case, ME). Please friend me in game: Thexedor Markhamm, and I will meet you in game and present your cloak.

$100 or more - Invitation to Charity Auction

Following the GoFundMe campaign we will be a holding a commission free auction for Iron Maiden's accounts/items/deeds/and lots. This auction will be hosted by the good folks at Shroud Marketplace and will be available to donors who pledge $100 or more during the fundraiser. All proceeds will be going to Doug up to 25K (per his request) and the remainder will be reinvested in future fundraising efforts to help other Avatars in dire need.

More info on this auction in the 'Fundraising Events' Section of this post.

6. MAKE THEX SUFFER (STRETCH GOALS)

To keep momentum up, I'm going to be performing some stunts when we hit major funding milestones. I will post videos of my experiences here for you all to (laugh at) enjoy.

Milestones:

5K: Ice bath (UNLOCKED) - I will jump into my icy, icy pool. Even though I live in AZ, it will not be pleasant. Trust me.

As promised, for your viewing pleasure: Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goal #1 - The Ice Bath

10K: Ghost Pepper Habanero Consumption (UNLOCKED) - I will eat ghost peppers habaneros until I can't take it anymore (or die, which ever comes first).

As promised, for your viewing pleasure: Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goal #2 - The Pepper Challenge

15K: 5 Mile Ridiculous Costume Run - I will run 5 miles wearing a costume of the community's choosing. I may lose all of my neighbors' respect, but hey, so friggin' what.

Update: This will be the GRAND FINALE video. Watch this space.

20K: Tuna Head Consumption (UNLOCKED) - I'll eat the eyeballs, lips, and all...steamed over fresh greens. Hey, in some countries its a delicacy. Right? Right?

As promised, for your viewing pleasure: Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goal #4 - The Fish Head

25K: Shave Thy Head (UNLOCKED) - I know this one has been done before, but look, its the universal 'show your solidarity with people battling cancer' gesture for good reason.

As promised, for your viewing pleasure: Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goal #5 - Shave Thy Head

7. FUNDRAISING EVENTS -

AERIE Fund - IRON MAIDEN HOLDINGS Charity Auction

Following the GoFundMe campaign we will be a holding a commission free auction for Iron Maiden's items/deeds/and lots. This auction will be hosted by the good folks at Shroud Marketplace and will be available to donors who pledge $100 or more during the fundraiser. All proceeds will be going to Doug up to 25K (per his request) and the remainder will be reinvested in future fundraising efforts to help other Avatars in dire need.

Auction dates: Happening Now (2-20-17 - 3/5/17)

Where: Shroud Marketplace - a fantastic 3rd party site where you can buy and sell anything Shroud of the Avatar related. They have agreed to make our charity auction commission free. Pretty cool, no?

[​IMG]

Full DETAILS available in this thread: Iron Maiden's Holding Auction Primer & Eligibility

(Don't worry, everyone - Doug will still maintain a nice account to continue his adventures in New Britannia WHEN he get's well).

8. IN THE MEDIA

Buzz around our community effort is growing and various outlets are talking about what we are doing to help Doug. Please read, watch, listen, enjoy and share the following:

:D Check out Lunch with Laz & Jack - the dynamic duo from Owl's Head do a deep dive into Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund. These guys deliver news, commentary and a heavy dose of humor to New Britannia 5 days a week for your listening and viewing pleasure.

Find more info about their show schedule here: (NBNN News Network).

Thanks @Lazarus Long and @Jack SinAssist for the support!

:D Check out the Daily New Britannian - covering all the latest SoTA news, happenings and events. They feature the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund. Subscribe to the newsletter and never miss a scoop!

Read the Daily New Britannian

:D Check Out the Echoes from the Cavern Podcast: they feature Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund (around the 40:00 minute mark, but I suggest you enjoy the entire podcast as @Asclepius and @Lord Baldrith do an amazing job bringing you the latest news from the SoTA universe.)

Listen to the podcast

:D Check out this blog post from the Player-Owned-Town (PoT) Ordinis Mortis on Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund:

http://www.ordinismortis.com/lets-help-dougs-ironmaiden-chemo-relief-fund-via-gofundme/

:D @Markee Dragon dedicated 2 shows to the Iron Maiden Campaign Relief Fund. During the broadcasts over $900 was raised! Way to go, Markee! Check out Markee Dragon's Show and subscribe to his Twitch if you'd like to see some serious SoTA streaming and fun. :)

:D Church of the Dark Star Sermon (by @Amber Raine) - a very relevant sermon on fear, bravery and coming together to realize our true strength. I feel it encapsulates the struggle we feel (especially these days) and how we can determine our own destiny by pushing forward together.

A great message for the supporters of the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund:

Let our virtues guide us through the dark to make a real difference in Doug's life.

Thanks to all.

Contact @Thexedor Markhamm if you have any questions or concerns.
    @Berek please pin this in an appropriate (highly visible) spot. ;)
    CC: @DarkStarr @Lord British @Chris @Lum the Mad @dallas

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Just donated. I hope that Doug raises the funds needed for his chemo.

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

4. Thexedor Markham

Thexedor Markham Avatar

Thanks Alex! Thanks Shawn! Thanks Aaron!

5. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

6. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Thanks for setting this up.
    All of my avatars will be helping.

7. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Thanks to all anonymous donors! You know who you are and you rock! :)

8. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

9. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

I LOVE this idea. Like I mentioned in the other post - if the Devs are willing to give out a cloak to folks who donate $5 to their holiday party, it should be a no-brainer to give something special to community members who contribute to the health and well-being of IronMaiden via GoFundMe. @DarkStarr ?

10. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Thanks, Ulrich Alpenglow!

11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Yes! Since 25k is IronMadiens goal, they could even limit the cloaks to be unavailable when the goal is met. May get more avatars to contribute knowing that the cloak is limited.

12. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

13. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

We just hit $1000! In little over 3 hours. Keep it up, Avatars! :cool:

14. mercster

mercster Avatar

Please update the original thread with this info (or link to this thread).

EDIT: Saw you did, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Just added some 'Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goals' to the OP. Come on, Avatars. Make me suffer, I dare you. :cool:

16. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

I linked this thread at the end of the original thread. Hopefully @Berek can do his magic and clean it all up.

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah sorry, I see you did...but I did not get email notification. Lame. Anyway thank you.

18. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

19. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

Thank you to everyone who set this up and marshaled the community together - so great to see!

20. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Hi All,

Spoke with @DarkStarr and will have some BIG NEWS regarding something special for those donating to IronMaiden's Chemo Relief Fund. Stay tuned and keep donating! ;)

EDIT: I have added the announcement to the OP. Exclusive, rare cloak only for backers of IronMaiden's Chemo Relief Fund!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.