Instances or A True Open World?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackMagix, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It would be nice to not be limited to just a first name.

2. WARDUKE

WARDUKE Avatar

Adar et al., Richard mentioned in the livestream yesterday that there would be PVP, that it would be a big part of the game, and that there would be a lot of incentives to get involved in it.

From what he described, it seems that even though the world would be instanced, these instances would be MORE relevant to your character based on things like your friends list, your guild, who your guild might be enemies with, who might be enemies of your friends, who you might have expressed interest in, your playstyle matched to other players, etc.

Instead of showing up in a town with 100 random people with names like "goobertinkle417," that you would never normally interact with anyway, the people you do encounter will actually have meaning to your avatar, and be relevant to his/her story.

In addition, he described an example of you being given a quest to take a contraband item across the map. Upon setting out, other people might get a notification of a mission that you would carrying this illegal item, and might be given the option to stop you. You look at the map and select your route, they try and puzzle out which way you will be going and intersect you, and you all show up in the same instance.

In short, we don't yet know the full details, but from the system that has been described, and from the similarities between it, and what Chris Roberts has described for Star Citizen (and knowing that he and Richard Garriott are good friends), I believe that the instances your characters are in will actual have more relevant friends and enemies in them to interact with than an open world MMO where three-quarters of the people you find in an instance are people you wouldn't interact with anyway.

Let's wait for more detail before condemning instancing.

3. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

We also discussed this in this thread.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=things-to-improve-the-game-monoscale-map-isometric-view-daily-npc-schedules

4. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

Open World be for me.

(I know this game won't be open world)

:(

5. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

Not saying instanced world will be a failure.

But I am curious how this dual-world/instance-view is going to work with online gameplay.

Will I be able to see other players on the world view?
    How will I be able to communicate/interact with players on world view?
    How will gathering/crafting work?
    Will I be able to join in another players instanced monster fight or wildgame hunt?

I just hope this dual system can still provide for spontaneity. Like walking in on someone taming animals, cooking, fishing, etc.

6. WARDUKE

WARDUKE Avatar

sslaw, check out the videos on the Kickstarter and main page. Some of that has already been answered. At one point Richard Garriott describes being able to join other players in combat (or jumping into their combat to try and hinder them).

7. Argentus

Argentus Avatar

I was really disappointed when I discovered this game was not true open world. The current setup looks very clunky and dated. It also looks like it would take away from the immersion a great deal. I am very confused at this direction that is being taken.

I nearly had a heart attack after watching Markeedragon's video on YouTube about the announcement. I thought it would be UO2 with better graphics and superior mechanics. I started texting my fellow nerds immediately. Now, I just kind of feel empty and confused. I say this respectfully.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just have to remember that what we're seeing is pre-alpha by a good 9 months or more.

9. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

Does anyone know why the statement that SOTA won't be a MMO, but will be a multi player game? Just wondering what he meant by that?

So if your in a town, you can't just wander off in a direction and keep going? The areas are all enclosed instances? I wonder if that part is set in stone or if they will be open to change if enough people get together and push for an open world?

10. Argentus

Argentus Avatar

I really hope they switch to open world and go full mmo.

11. Miridor

Miridor Avatar

i vote for a true open world/full mmo!

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I vote for monoscale open world single player game.

13. Zouharian

Zouharian Avatar

<blockquote>Both monsters and players should not be defined by levels at all? skills and stats only. And personal skills, strategies and experience.</blockquote>

QFT

14. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

This will not be open world full mmo.
    They said so on today's ustream.

I don't recall any talk about gathering in the dual-world system.
    Maybe I got cut-off by those damn commercials.

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They also said that they are developing for us so they want to hear our opinions and want us to be satisfied with the product. Changing to a monoscale map open world would satisfy us ;)

16. Haddy G

Haddy G Avatar

"Does anyone know why the statement that SOTA won?t be a MMO, but will be a multi player game? Just wondering what he meant by that?"

Because it's a single player game with multiplayer like NWN or Diablo. If I wanted to I could play this game and never go online, but I expect the most fun will be had online.

17. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

Ah, ok. Thanks Haddy! :) it was a weird statement and I couldn't figure out what it meant. Now I understand.

Maybe someone should start a thread to see if a majority of people would rather have an open world? They could have an open world and still keep the mini-map like they have it now I believe.

18. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I hope they ll change the plan and switch to open world and go full mmo.

GOD !

19. BlackMagix

BlackMagix Avatar

The problem I see with the game in its current form it looks like the exploration part is done with the mini-map. Which looks rather boring... I can live with and understand making dungeons and towns instances, like WoW or any other MMO; that's fine in my opinion. BUT... PLEASE, make an open world for us to explore and experience. Do not underestimate the appeal of having a true open world to explore for the hardcore and casual alike. It's something most of the community really want. I just hope the decision to use the mini-map is not being used because of the eventual release on Tablets and Smartphones.

20. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

Personally, I'm totally against instancing in any form. LOTR's housing system is one example. Great looking houses, but all locked away. You can't just wander into a housing area. Might seem a small thing, but it makes a difference. Instanced dungeons? I loved the chaos that happened often in Darkness Falls (DAOC). Games like Wow have totally killed the dungeon experience, it's become a grind for gear. Gear it's self has become way too important, striving to complete another set of armor, for what?

Pathfinder Online has taken a good approach by making all gear player crafted by. Their PvP system allows for looting but tempered by players ability to "thread" some equipment, retaining it through PvP death. So many players will thread their armor and weapons, while others will use cheaper player crafted items while away from their settlements.

Sorry, got a bit off topic there. Instancing might be necessary due to server lag issues. I hope they can limit it as much as possible though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.