Instances or A True Open World?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackMagix, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BK_

BK_ Avatar

I am not being pessimistic, I am eager to try this game out regardless of the map and graphics. However, it was already clearly presented what the map in-game will look like. Placeholders or not, the basis design has already been concluded and I am sure they won't be happy to start it all from scratch, they'd rather move further into the details than bother with map. So some of of the basic content has been created already and likely will remain the same.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe if the would be open to some bigger changes in design like the map they could get much more money via Kickstarter as they would please more customers.

3. BK_

BK_ Avatar

I don't think it has anything to do with open world map. Another project mentioned in another thread has raised 160k out of 150k goal and it has both open world and more dynamic combat which looks awesome and it is not even in alpha. I believe it is more because the project is ran by Lord British.

4. BlackMagix

BlackMagix Avatar

This was the one game I was truly excited for, I had the highest of hopes. I desperately wanted to contribute to the Kickstarter. I just can't justify doing so, not with the limited scope of the world map and a huge backwards step in game design. Every game I've ever played with dual maps has broken the immersion for me, and I don't see why this one would be different.

5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

So let me get this straight... You guys think, that if you see a "loading" window for lets say five seconds, that destroyes your entire game experience?

6. BlackMagix

BlackMagix Avatar

@AvatarAcid

A Loading screen has nothing to do with the debate. Whatsoever. I've said having the dungeons and cities be instanced would be absolutely fine.

The reason why people are upset is because a dual scale map there is no sense of exploration and immersion. You will be going from scene to scene without any real feel of adventure. If I see a mountain off in the distance I should be able to go and explore it. A truly open world provides this and much much more.

7. HolyKnight

HolyKnight Avatar

Open world, full mmo please guys... 98% of America and Japan have high speed internet now, there is no reason for anything else. Also... I think Richard Garriot was saying that it would be skill based like Ultima. Not entierly sure and would love to know for certain. Getting to level 80 was why I quit world of warcraft... that and all the kiddy ridiculousness and instancing. Wow has a fully open world, except in the dungouns. And the dungoun instancing was the worst part about that game aside from the levels and childishness. Keeping an open mind as well, but it will take a lot to take me and my g/f away from Ultima Online. We still play on Pacific and have our entire lives invested in it, we met there. :) :)

8. Fevion Hailsinger

Fevion Hailsinger Avatar

After watching all the videos I change my vote from mono to dual scale, I think it will work out fine.

9. LordSunrise

LordSunrise Avatar

We should be able to explore and create our own maps that would be cool but single player of course your going to have your own separate instance to everyone else. Multiplayer, I don't know there maybe places where people meet etc. Be interesting to find out.

10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

@BlackMagix

Ok great, I am glad that loading screens aren't bothering anyone.

Do you absolutely 100% have to explore the core game only in the world map? What if on the world map, a dynamically created and totally unique point of interest popped up. This PoI was an explorable mountain range, possibly randomly generated, with say hunting, climbing, mining, random generated dungeons in it. Would something like that be acceptable? I think that is something close to what we would be looking at...

IMO it doesn't even need to be dynamic content, if static PoIs were deployed to the world map for say 1 or two months at a time fine, clean them out, get bored of them and then let the Admins add another PoI somewhere else or in its place.

I really like this idea of dynamic updating and content though, if it pans out to be as good as I think it can.

11. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

I was originally taken aback by dual scale but after listening to the developer (Chris)explanation, I think I agree that dual scale is the best way forward.

It allows flexibility in the system to create new content. No one really climb up to a distant mountain all the time. I have a flying mount in WoW but I am spending 90% of my time in one place call Orgrimmar.

12. bainton

bainton Avatar

I am certainly in favor of a true open world. The 2D map idea is interesting, and satisfies those who don't have much time to play a game, etc etc. But ... it also takes away from the experience of a large world. Traveling, and the time it takes to get somewhere makes going somewhere more meaningful and worthwhile. It gives the experience realism and credibility.

Thanks for reading,

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

From a recent dev chat video, the lead designer mentioned that while you are on the 2d map, you can drop into any map location, not just the ones that indicate a point of interest. This is of use to not only miners or lumberjacks, but also to explorers. There may not be a great deal of interest there, but you might get a chance encounter, but as I remember it, there were large areas of UO where there was terrain, but not a great deal of anything of interest there, other than trees for lumber, or mountains for ore.

It sounds like the same with be true in SotA.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Here is a link to the video I mentioned, where he says that from the 2d Map, you can drop into the world anywhere, not just to places of interest.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/429763

15. TheJefu

TheJefu Avatar

Each individual area of the map (or hex) is accessible. It's like being able to click in any individual zone of Azeroth and there you are, sharing the space with other people. The only difference is that you could fast travel between them to some degree, which is also possible in most MMORPGs anyway. Think of it like Baldurs Gate.

Just travel through one hex, load next one, rinse repeat. The benefit of having the world in hexes is that it makes the game accessible to large changes and quick content updates - ultimately a more dynamic and content rich game.

If you'd of asked me which I'd prefer from the outset, I'd of said just make Ultima Online again but better. Given the time to consider the change, I see the advantages to outweigh the disadvantages and it's an exciting concept for an online game.

16. Duffman

Duffman Avatar

True open world. I got so excited when i first read about the kick starter, even on the kick starter page it seemed like a uo successor. Then i came to the forums and found my dreams were dashed. Still seems like a fun game. and i'll probably still contribute, but not nearly as much as i would if this was being designed as an fully open world mmo

17. Fevion Hailsinger

Fevion Hailsinger Avatar

TheJefu summed it up well, I'd almost hate to be stuck with an open world with little to no change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.