Personal PvP Definition Poll

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Fireangel, Nov 14, 2013.

?

What is your personal PvP (or PK) definition?

1. All Players [even Non-PvP] should be available for the challenge/risk of attack. with full loot

62 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. I never want to be exposed to PvP.

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. I am only interested in consensual PvP.

44 vote(s)
    24.9%
  4. A duel is an honorable type of PvP I'm interested in having.

45 vote(s)
    25.4%
  5. PvP is great fun between guilds, over territory or castles.

70 vote(s)
    39.5%
  6. I play a thief or a murderer, which is a PK with victims, consensual or not.

28 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. I like PvP Arena battles, where the best competitor wins the prize and appears on Leader Boards.

29 vote(s)
    16.4%
  8. There should be safe and unsafe zones. PvP should be limited to unsafe zones.

60 vote(s)
    33.9%
  9. I want a fun and real Justice System. If the game has that, they can have open PvP and thievery.

79 vote(s)
    44.6%
  10. Separate us! Make PvP Flags! I never want to SEE the other type of player.

23 vote(s)
    13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greaseDonkey

greaseDonkey Avatar

I want to be a defenders of the poor, I want to protect the villagers from the villains, I want to feel that the world is more dynamic than static, I want this game to have longevity, I want to coordinate my effort with others to make sure we are safe to venture in uncharted territory, I want a dangerous world, I want player control area, I want to adapt, I want to be prepared for the worst, I want to make the most of the situation, I want Open PvP/Loot so that the world doesn't feel dead, I want to be a blue PK.

Adapt, be prepared, coordinate your adventure, don't go wandering in the nature thinking you'll be safe and PvP should be fun. Ignore that it's there and you'll have a terrible time.

2. vvortex3

vvortex3 Avatar

I hate to say this, but if a player finds it unacceptable to be attacked in an unsafe zone then I honestly hope this is not the game for them. The majority in this poll is leaning towards permissible PvP. This means, to me, that if they side with the majority of voters in this poll, then those who find it unacceptable to be attacked in an unsafe zone would most likely have to find another game.

greaseDonkey likes this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

PvP is fine for those who like it, but shouldn't be forced on people who do not. I remember in Aion...it was fair when I was attacked by 1 guy...and I could even win sometimes, but the problem is...Very rarely is there just 1 person against 1 person...generally Open World PvP is just a group of thugs/bullies who gank. That isn't fun. Never will be fun. Hence the need to make concentual PvP, Separate servers, or No PvP.

I also do not like when they add areas that are PvP because they tend to add things in those areas that we kinda need for our gathering...putting us into a forced PvP situation again. There are plenty of forced PvP games out there already. Please do not create another one.

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Very thoughtful Fireangel, and one of the most measured and balanced approaches I have seen to this difficult topic.
    I sincerely hope that SoTA ends up with something that will enable all of us to live together, with minimal constraints and aggravation, and not denying or coercing anyone's playing style or preferences.

Fireangel likes this.
  5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Except that a very small amount of voices are actually paying attention to or have voted on this thread. Many users are sick of seeing the same topic come up over and over again and choose to ignore these threads because they always end up the same way: with Pro/Anti-PVP people at each others throats and really accomplishing nothing. Even here on the forums there is only a small amount of the actual numbers active who have actually pledged into the game, so to say that this is the whole voice of what the public wants is very inaccurate.

Ned888, derek6665 and Fireangel like this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think its pretty much even across the board pvp/non-pvp, I talk to alot of pvprs/pkrs/ open world etc.. after all i need to keep track of whos gonna gank so i can go find them and cross em off in my black book of judgement!! lol :) (i honestly love hunting pkrs down) and i hope there is a reward for thier head in towns, thats how i RP/PVP and for me its fun and challenging. ( they will hunt me too but im good with that) even a few of the devs like the PVP game. Its not for everyone and i know that but there will be a slider to turn off pvp people if you want, so theres really no arguement about the pvp/pkr/pvper/rper, you have an option this much we know.

Mystic likes this.
  7. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

I have a lot of them books, heh.
    PvP = boys just want to have Fun!

PvE = Another Ever Camping game junk. {IMHO}

8. Ara

Ara Avatar

So why even make a poll then if it dont say or mean anything?

I believe there is more then most people belive that actually is in favor of hardcore PvP, as the one we saw in old UO.

I sure hope we will see that playstyle as an option in SotA.

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes?

I wasnt quoting the one that made the thread.

10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Polling on a forum is for social interaction by users directed at each other. It's in no way an official way of figuring out a majority consensus being that the people involved on the forum are very small in numbers compared to the number of people who have pledged so it would never be accurate. Consider also the section this is posted in. Many users have no interest in PVP so they pass up threads about it... see where this is going?

The reality is that while many of us would love a fully open world like UO was, the grand majority of people out there do not want that. If it were not the case, we would see much more demand for a fully open PVP world. While Portalarium could simply make another game that has no or very few options for PVP, they have opted to make a game that caters to everyone and from what I've seen, is doing so in a way that actually will work. Unfortunately, this is not good enough for many people who want to force their own preference on others who do not wish to involve themselves in that type of gameplay. There indeed has to be compromise in the issue, but on both parts.

I'm sure there will be some great PVP in this game, but it will be for the people who welcome it, not people who have it forced upon them with no other choice.

Asclepius, derek6665 and Fireangel like this.
  11. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

No need to be offended. I didn't intend any offense. I'm trying to keep things on topic. There are other Threads for the other subjects.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

Thats ok by me as long as there is a oldschool UO PvP option for the ones that seek that type of gameplay, open PvP, full loot and non-consensual.

How do you know the grand majority of people out there do not want that?

Many see RG as the creator of UO and have pledged for this game to get a UO2 game in some form.

NigNog likes this.
  13. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Because every single game that has attempted it has failed and because it was one of the big reasons people left UO and other early games that allowed open PVP.

I'm not saying there isn't a market for it; there clearly is. It's just much smaller of a market than the grand scheme.

Silent Strider and Fireangel like this.
  14. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Ditto to what Mystic said. I again point to my first page of this Thread, and Scott Jennings' aka Lum the Mad's article:

http://brokentoys.org/2004/12/18/the-unbearable-darkness-of-ultima-online/ An excellent article on the subject!
    Also, Richard Garriott said that contrary to what many Players believe, UO was losing accounts due to the PKers continual attacks and exploitations, which finally caused the Felucca/Trammel separation/split, not the other way around. [Not that UO didn't also lose the PKer 'Open PK World and Full Loot' Players afterward as well, but that was not the first wave of accounts lost.]

Gabriel Nightshadow and Freeman like this.
  15. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

If open PvP is going to be implemented in Shroud, there would have to be some system in place to stop highly overpowered players from simply slaughtering players not able to defend themselves. Safe zones wouldn't do it, because if anyone could enter the various "zones", this could still take place. While some may find manhandling weaker players fun, this would detract people from playing the game big time. My main experience with PvP came from Neverwinter and NWN2 and some PvP servers allowed just that. It was an acquired taste that could bring more frustration than actual fun. Usually the one doing the killing is the only one having fun.

derek6665 likes this.
  16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yep, I would have played Aion for much longer but the ganking made the game 'unplayable.' Open world PvP can only work if there are boundries allowing people who don't want to be ganked to play too...I think allowing us the option to set our own playstyle is perfect!

I'm excited about this too yay

17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

And what Topic would that be? The Poll?

220 votes to 25,441 backers, that's like 0.8% not even worth mentioning...

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

To be fair, EVE kinda succeeded in this.

Kinda because the vast majority of the player base stays in the safe-ish part of the universe, where unprovoked attack is met with certain death at the hands of CONCORD (their overpowered psychic omnipresent police force), and finding a way to avoid being killed seems to actually be a bannable offense (as well as any attack within a newbie zone). Think of what UO would be if the guards policed a third to half the game world, including a large amount of resource nodes and dungeons, and where the guards never lost track of their prey.

Then, of course, EVE seems to be the only such MMO to go above 100K players in the west ever since UO; most of the others stay stuck at a few tens of thousand players, and that if they are lucky.

19. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Yes, to define what PvP is to you, to help others understand what your point of view is.

I do apologize for any offense in trying to keep things civil and on point. Honestly, I mean no offense.

20. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Think of what UO would be if the guards policed a third to half the game world, including a large amount of resource nodes and dungeons, and where the guards never lost track of their prey.

Sounds like a great idea, maybe some tweaking but again, a very strong justice system. I'd be very happy with that and its concept as well. As a PKer I think this idea could float very well.

Fireangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.