PVE and PVP expectations for Finished product request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cirsee, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Well they nerfed Stealing, so a nerf to pvp came with last patch :( They baited people to flag for PVP with exp bonuses, then when they got a taste of what happens when they forget to unflag and go afk, the same people *****/whine/moan, to the point where the devs CHANGE the PVP playstyle, all the while the people who temporarly flag, go back to unflagged leaving the PVPers gimped.

MrBlight and E n v y like this.
  2. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Well, most of the players are here for PVE.
    The people who are whining the most are the PVP players. Have you seen the videos of LB, describing his game? There is nothing about PVP.

And a lot of people are just waiting for the release, but they initialy backed this game for PVE content. You want them to keep playing after release or the game will end up uninstalled.

If the PVE players quit,
    this would be really bad for the game. Who's a PVE game.

Mata and Stundorn like this.
  3. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Thats perfectly fine to be here for PVE, just dont flag PVP and ***** about it, ask for changes, then when they do change PVP, you go back to PVE. What about the people who just played PVP? you don't like it don't flag.

valor likes this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This from an article published in March of 2013 containing direct quotes from Richard Garriott (aka: Lord British).
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/8/4076734/shroud-of-the-avatar-richard-garriott

"The idea of dropping into a situation with another player and not knowing what's going on also sets the scene for Garriott's take on player-versus-player combat, which is equally interesting.

"We do have PVP," he said. "We're working out the precise details but here's the general plan for PVP. We want neither of these two extremes: In Ultima Online one of the great joys of PVP was it was purely open and if you were into (player killing) it was a great joy. The problem was that some of the best fun you had as a PVP or a PKer was to kill the newbies, which of course really harmed the game itself. There were a lot of people being chased through Ultima Online when they started and some of them never came back.

"On the other hand, we don't want to make PVP purely opt-in, because what happens is that it's no fun to just opt-in. So that extreme is out."

Instead, the current plan is to have points in the game, specific missions and scenarios, that essentially force you or ask you to go rogue. And when you do, suddenly you become the other players' enemy and, sometimes, objective.

In one example Garriott gave to us, a player is asked to transport some contraband between cities. If the player accepts, they become the quarry of all of the other players, a target for PVP.

"So PVP is incorporated into the story and into the activities, so instead of it just being an open choice, it's driven through events within the story," he said."

5. Armar

Armar Avatar

God forbid. This must instantly be nerfed.... someone phone LB....

This board has about the wost PvE whiner club i ever encountered.

// Armar

MrBlight likes this.
  6. Armar

Armar Avatar

# OT Comment
    Which i always considred lame and boring. Besides that there are extremely simple game mechanics which can prevent this.

// Armar

7. Armar

Armar Avatar

No one can attack you until you flag yourself for PvP? Safe enough?!

Try leveling up your reading skills...

// Armar

8. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Is, to create a SOLO player experience with the ability to play online, to play with your friends and family.
    This is exactly what I bought.

Start at 3:00.

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Congratulations - they sold all of us a sandbox MMO experience that includes a story, meaningful PVP, and solo player stuff. The ultimate gaming experience for every player on earth - everybody wins.

fonsvitae likes this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

Not being oblique to the facetiousness of this, but I know part of the reason I signed up for this project was the thinking that if anyone had any chance to make this type of thing work, it would be this team. It's an overly ambitious idea, to be sure.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Are there really people who think this is fun?
    I mean I hate it when I play a shooter and suddenly I am forced to play an RTS part. Or when I suddenly have to do some minigame in which I need dexterity while playing an adventure.
    For me this is the same with suddenly having to do PvP when I absolutely hate it.
    I mean I buy an RPG and not a sportsgame so why should I enjoy to suddenly have to play soccer?
    Why do developers think this is fun?

Xandra7 likes this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.