Horses, Armor, and Saddles

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Knoxinn, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar; Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 will NOT feature horses. Sadly, this has been confirmed. From this, we will take that gigantic leap in logic that we will also not be able to make armor or saddles for horses in Episode 1. So...why start a thread about it? Well, the Crafting Sigil was recently revealed so my thoughts have turned to armor and leather. In past fantasy RPG's I've grown quite accustomed to various species in armor. Since SotA only has humans...the only other species to have armor (maybe) will be horses (one day...maybe).

I mean...I know one day there will be a ship on the horizon. A grand ship. A strange ship. And upon this ship will be giant creatures. Once upon shore, one from the crowd (because there's always one in the crowd) shall shout "Hey! I'm going to jump on that giant creature." Once the funeral is over, another one will shall shout: "Hey! I'm, going to jump on that giant creature but this time, no so close to the cliff and I'm going to try really hard to stay on it." And this day...we shall rediscover riding...and it shall be a glorious day...unless it rains...which then it will be immediately down-graded to only a very good day.

The next day...men will declare riding these beasts comes along with a very unfavorable seating situation. The saddle is reborn. So off to battle he rides and then sees his new friend promptly cut in half by a dragon. Back to the stables and over to the blacksmith...the men, using great profanity, point at their armor and then their horses..."Put this...on that!" Horse armor emerges from the aether.

Or at least that's how it plays out in my head. Anyway...

Armor for horses. Thoughts? Opinions? I'm going to throw out a few pictures to start things off:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Wait....what? :eek: So...my horse is bigger than yours. And has tusks. And really isn't much of a horse. Your point? :p )

So that is what I'm thinking for armor. Each has their own style. Their own flavor. What are your expectations? And do you want complete sets or piecing them out a bit? Do you want more realistic or do you lean towards a more fantasy look?

As for saddles, how complex would you like to see this option? Do the saddles come with everything or would you rather piece it out a bit more? How many types of saddles do you envision in the game?

Jousting may make it into the game as well (maybe). Thoughts on the caparisons/barding (the detailed cloth/padding that goes over a horse)? Maybe player-created akin to the shields?

And actually...we can also discuss horse breeds as well if people have some strong opinions on it. Might as well. My vote...Clydesdales. Love those hooves...

So...the floor is open... :)

2. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Lord British!

Mr Garriott!

Please give us mounts upon release of SotA. We dont need anything flashy.

Simple Horse mounts of varying colours. ALl the same speed.

Just basic mounts please. You dont want to leave that one out!

3. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

This is what kills me about the "no jumping" rule...how can you have a horse and not allow jumping?

*votes for both the horse and the jumping referendum*

4. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

I don't think that you're alone in that sentiment. But...I can see it. Balancing magic,combat and the crafting system while building an entire world is a chore. Adding in horses...time consuming. How do players access them? Can they use them in battle? Do we set up jousting? What kind of commands? How do we implement armor and saddles and any other crafting options? This list goes on and on. So...as sad as it is, I can definitely see why they were pushed back.

And really, that's a big part of why I started the thread. Many people are beginning to write up stories for their characters and the game itself. If their stories include horses (mine always do) maybe something they see or read about here can add a bit of flavor.

Heh...never put the two together before but...sure. :)

5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I've never been attracted to women in copper before, but it can grow on me!

Oh wait, this is about horses, right?
    Well, I've heard that there will be llamas, how about armour for llamas??

derek6665 (Baldrith) and Knoxinn like this.
  6. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Hmmm...Battle Llamas? Attack llamas? War Llamas? Llamas of Havoc? Skirmish Llamas? :D

But really, great point about llamas. I remember there being talk of them in the game at some point as well. I'm not quite sure of their role, but becoming a pack animal is certainly reasonable. And if so, crafters could possibly come into the picture by creating various backpacks, pack saddles, etc. And depending upon how complex you want to go, perhaps those pack saddles can be removed and replaced with festive blankets or what not when traveling through town or for special occasions.

And as far as pack animals (animals used exclusively for "hauling"), typically there are donkeys/mules and the llama. Would anyone like to see this expanded? Maybe a camel? Water buffalo, yak, ox, elephants, and reindeer have also been used.

Back to the llama...if in the game, will it be a rideable option? I don't know but many people would love that. If so...would "llama armor" actually come into extistance? Maybe a bit of chainmail and a rounded metal covering for the flanks? Heh...I just don't know how it would look. Instead of metal armor, perhaps colorful padding could be used. This way, you're adding personal flair to the llama as well as some protection. Again, all hand-crafted by players.

NirAntae likes this.
  7. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If Horses are in the game I liked the UO principle that when you dismounted your horse did not disappear and as a pet it needed feeding. I often set off mining leading 5 packhorses to hold the ore I mined.
    Also will the weight carry limit on Characters also be in the game or will everyone be able to carry any amount of stuff regardless.

8. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I'd like there to be horses eventually, and jousting would be awesome between players. :)

Knoxinn likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

No Horses??!? What the heck am I going to tame then? ;)

Knoxinn likes this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Would you like to buy a duck? :)

Knoxinn likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

lol nice

I made sure RG got this question early on.. in the context of list fields and touranments/jousting.. and there did seem to be an interest there.. it just wasn't something they could fit into EP1.. and I believe horses will likely be EP2. They have made statements to the effect that we'll probably have horses later.. not a 100% guarentee mind you.. but a good chance it seems.

To which my response is.. and riding lessons are reborn. If you knew how to properly ride a horse you wouldn't need the saddle. :) but not everyone can develop a proper 'seat' over night so I guess it can't be helped. Heals down.. toes up and in.. back straight.. ride on the inside of your legs.. not your rear end! Did I mention I used to teach horsemanship? ;)

Knoxinn likes this.
  12. Reco Elgred

Reco Elgred Avatar

oh you dark "horse"

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

:D

I know what you mean! In UO on the Lake Austin shard I had Jousting matches every quarter for a few years. Very popular and fun. See pictures here as I documented some of them:
    http://www.mac512.com/uo/index.html

Knoxinn likes this.
  14. CalBolc

CalBolc Avatar

Purple Llamas!

uopete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.