This is not UO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mugly Wumple, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I think it's been made pretty clear that SotA is a "spiritual successor" to the Ultima single-player games not to Ultima Online. While I'm sure they have taken much that they've learned from UO, it has been repeatedly stated that this is foremost a single-player game with a clear storyline. The online portions of the game are there to support the single-player experience. If you played any of the Ultima IV-IX you'll recall all of the side quests. I'd imagine the online portion to be akin to those - visit a town, do some shopping, meet some people.

This isn't to say that I don't find myself wishing for another UO or that when thinking about SotA I don't mix my UO experience into it. Still, I think it important to remember that this is primarily a single-player game with an online component and not the other way around

2. Argentus

Argentus Avatar

This is very depressing

3. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

What's depressing about it? This is getting back to the deep roots of Ultima!

4. Haddy G

Haddy G Avatar

Not depressing to me. I am very happy for this. A single player Utlima type game with multiplayer. It like a dream come true. :)

5. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Once this game has become a huge success, it is my hope that UO2 will be made. However the only man that can make UO2 is Richard and his team. If EA try to make it without his help it is sure to be doomed or average at best. There is huge momentum gathering behind this project and who knows what the future holds.

6. DamoclesXV

DamoclesXV Avatar

Forget about UO2, it won't happen. Be happy, because this game will have a lot of UO top features and they will improved. In today's livestream Richard was telling was about tamming. This isn't UO2, it is better.

7. DamoclesXV

DamoclesXV Avatar

Sorry... it is "they will be improved" and "Richard was telling US..."!

8. Francis_Marsten

Francis_Marsten Avatar

As awesome as UO was it had its downsides. I see SotA as an attempt to take the best parts of UO as well as the best parts of the single player Ultima's. I think the multiplayer aspect will be targeting quality over quantity. Massive multiplayer is not needed for a game to be fun, multiplayer on a smaller scale can be just as if not more fun.

Another aspect is that we'll be able to play an UO like rpg in co-op. Imagine how much fun it would have been to play U7 with real friends as your companions instead of AI controlled characters.

9. VictorZanta

VictorZanta Avatar

Yes i think it's wrong to compare this game with UO. Nothing will ever compete with UO. Shroud of the Avatar will be it's own version of Epicness.

10. BeRz

BeRz Avatar

But we wanted improved-UO, not Ultima [Number], why do other thing?

11. SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise Avatar

Also, guys who bawl over it not being UO2, go and check out Pathfinder Online. That should totally float your boat.

12. VictorZanta

VictorZanta Avatar

It's time for a new project. Why do whats already been made. SOTA will be a new type of game you may love just as much as UO.

13. Duke Steele

Duke Steele Avatar

I backed Pathfinder Online. Excited for it.

That said, Garriot could easily take this new IP and create a new UO. If this game is highly successful, maybe he will do so.

14. SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise Avatar

I'd rather he focuses on it being a singleplayer game, hearkening back to the olden days instead of making another Sandbox MMORPG because that market is really small at the moment and making UO2 would probably break that market or at least Pathfinder Online.

15. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

My first Ultima was Ultima III on the NES system. Ultima Online came out many years later and this isn't Ultima Online.

I am thrilled that a new SP RPG game with inclusion of multiplayer elements is being released, and the fact that it is Ultima makes it that much more exciting.

Just to give an example, I've been gaming with the same group of guys for years. We've moved from Browser Strategies, to FPS, to Space Sims and into MineCraft. There are four to six active people, and another 12 part timers after that.

It sounds like RG has hit this one right on the head guys, because a lot of us out there tend to stick in tight groups as opposed to dealing with the high turnover and politics of player run "guilds"

I'm sorry that you won't get to mass gank and zerg rush nubs at the crossroads in this game. Actually, no I'm not :)

16. Hightower

Hightower Avatar

Actually this what I had hoped UO would be back in 1997. A group of player friends, following the path of the Avatar, continuing the virtues of previous Ultimas.
    Following the story, quest line.

I'm very much looking forward to this game. :)

17. BK_

BK_ Avatar

"This is not UO"

And thanks God...

18. Hadriel

Hadriel Avatar

If they refuse to add a real virtual world; then they shouldn't promise a great new world, because it's actually a heap of small instances with a 3d travel map.

19. Valiant

Valiant Avatar

I dont understand why to do this? I was hopping for new dye and pet air freshner for make my pet new colors or maybe have my old castle transfer over to new world.

20. maleficum

maleficum Avatar

This is sad...i realy thgought we will see another live world from RG.Hope he will make it one day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.