Bad Apples

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jessika, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Look, I'm not saying that someone that wants a friendly game of PVP shouldn't be able to have it. What I'm saying is that there should be EQUAL risk vs. EQUAL reward. So if we're all going to live in this world together, you have to first recognize that much like being a Female and playing a game is different than being a Man (and I agree totally with that), it's also true that being a PVPER and playing a game is different than being a NON-PVPER. Yet the game should be EQUAL for a man as much as it is for a woman. Just as it should be equal for a pvper vs. a non-pvper.

But you can't have people jumping in and out of those things on a whim. If you're going to PVP then you're going to have to lose the Ignore button. It will absolutely NOT WORK and it will kill any form of competitive PVP. Here are 10 scenarios off the top of my head where I can abuse an ignore button to death in a pvp environment... The assumption is that everyone playing in these scenarios has at least temporarily opted into PVP.

1) I steal from you. I ignore you. Ha ha, your money is gone and you'll never see me again.
    2) I kill you. Before you can exact your revenge, I Ignore you. HA HA I win. Off to goto another person and do the same thing.
    3) I'm in the middle of a guild battle. My guild ignores your guild. We just took over all the control points. We're so good at PVP!
    4) I'm a griefer, I like to annoy people by talking to them, then ignoring them, then unignoring them, over and over again. It's just what I do.
    5) I'm fighting you, you get me down very low in hit points. I ignore you. I heal myself, I unignore you and SURPRISE, I'm stabbing you in the back.
    6) I need to get to the other side of the map but there's a lot of enemy guilds out there that really hate me because I'm a horrible person. I know, I'll just ignore them and walk to where I need to go. Then I'll unignore when I'm ready to grief again.
    7) I have a lot of loot on me. I need to travel to the bank before someone kills me and takes it! No problem, I'll just ignore everyone I see between here and there and it will be like I never saw anyone.
    8) I've been throwing rocks at your house for days. You can't figure out who's doing it because everytime you look out your window or open your door I'm ignoring you. Try ignoring what you can't see.
    9) I've already ignored you. You don't know who I am yet, but I'm about to unignore you in the middle of your nice dinner that you've prepared. I'm going to stab you in your face with a butter knife and then ignore my way out of your home after a few quick screen shots.
    10) Greetings. I've been ignoring you for some time now. I like being invisible to the people I grief. They can never quite understand who keeps dropping books with crude messages in my home. Oh well, I can still see all the people around them and read the other parts of the conversation - so I still get to see what your reaction is.

The ignore button, like most mechanics, can be abused very easily in a game like this. Don't you think?

2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I don't see a single thing you proposed that means that people with a legitimate issue shouldn't have access to an ignore feature. All your objections are to a "pop in and out of existance" alternative, a free stealth if you will. Which is NOT what we are discussing.

Devoid and BillRoy like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Aren't we? What do you think happens when you ignore someone? I would think that they would disappear. If you unignored them, I would think that they would reappear. Likewise, player homes are static. So if I unignore myself while in your home, there's a reasonable assumption that I will just appear next to you if you are also in your home. *poof* guess who's coming to dinner?

I agree with you that limitations would need to be set...and maybe 24 hours is ok, but I tend to think that it should be much longer due to the incredible amount of damage you can do in a very short time period. I mean, if your entire MO is to make people mad using your "other character". Then 24 hour down time is meaningless. You're going to log on, make people mad and then log off. Rinse, wash, repeat. So now it's a daily thing instead of a 10 times a day thing.

I would suggest that no ignore button exist during PVP. It's too easy to abuse.

4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

...did you read the rest of my comments, in the quote?

If 24 hours isn't long enough, fine, a week, whatever. Or you can't ignore any person you stole from or killed. But THEY should be able to ignore YOU.

ETA: at this point we're just quibbling details on how to keep it from being abused... kinda pointless.

5. Drocis the Devious

Well yes, that's who I want to see in the game too. So I'll go places where those people frequent. I'll have a hang out, I'll have a home.

Who exactly do you people plan to fight against? Nice people that haven't done anything wrong to you? It's very difficult for me to seperate "bad apples" from pvp. Everyone I ever meet in a pvp game is a "bad apple". I don't play PVP games to kill me friends.

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Jessika

Jessika Avatar

I was not talking about PvP. It seems most negative replies are pointing at PvP. I'm sure PvP is fine.
    I did explain in my second reply. Please read before assuming I am wrong or overreacting, as you seem to agree with me.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Yes.

If it's non-pvp, I totally understand the ignore button concept. But I have no idea where you're coming from if we're playing in open pvp world (or area). You do realize that if I can just ignore everyone in the PVP area then it's no longer a pvp area, right?

8. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I already said, several times, that ignoring someone should NOT work as an 'insta-hide'. Only upon leaving and re-entering a hex. This would prevent almost all the "abuse" in PvP you are talking about.

9. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

You can change modes in safe areas, so it will be a normal gameplay mechanic to pop in and out of single player and open world modes. As such risk vs reward is going to have to mean more than just PVP.

The affect of ignore would be the same: you ignore and affects take place when you enter a safe zone. Saying people will pop in and out does not give the devs enough credit. Such a feature would not be implemented so broken.

BillRoy and NirAntae like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The ability to ingore someone does potentially have PvP implications depending how it's handled.. and anything PvP is a touchy subject. One of the reasons I'm keeping to myself at this point. :)

Though I would suggest that the PvP aspects of ignoring people is something that already been much debating in PvP forums and perhaps we don't need to get too far into it here?

11. Jessika

Jessika Avatar

Your mindset is focused on nothing but PvP. You need to see the bigger picture and your passive-aggressive responses would not be justified. Stop lingering on PvP. Nothing was said about PvP.

The "Bad Apples" are those who in a "PvE" game harrass people.

Need an example?
    1. Continuously nagging people in tells after being told to stop.
    2. Verbal harrassment.
    3. Anything not game related that is offensive.

Those are the "Bad Apples".

PvPs "Bad Apples" are a different topic if you'd like to start one outside of this thread.

Thanks. :)

BillRoy and Knoxinn like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

It would limit it. What happens when I leave the hex and come right back? No, I think if you're PVP you lose Ignore entirely until you're no longer PVP. I can't see it balacing any other way.

If for some reason a player is going outside the boundries of what is considered good PVP ettique, then I would be completely in favor of customer service stepping in and handling the situation. But the idea that players can use "selective pvp" in a game where they can already avoid PVP completely, that would be very disappointing to me.

13. Drocis the Devious

You're welcome. Thanks for making that clear on page 3 of this thread.

Btw, your 2nd reply didn't say anything about PVP. I brought up PVP becuase I thought you'd overlooked it. Now that I see that you've just been ignoring it, I'll be on my way - having made my point.

14. Jessika

Jessika Avatar

Noted, take care. :)

15. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

*sigh*
    This thread is getting a little out of hand.

People don't need to be handled, let them be what they want to be - you have no reason to assume harassment via gameplay is even possible in this game.
    I understand people have certain expectations from the online community, but even so this is a game; it's reasonable to assume conflict will be a core element of online play in certain places.

16. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I'm glad PvP was brought up, for a moment there I thought this topic wasIGNORING that aspect of the game... *Rolls eyes*
    Speaking of ignoring, wouldn't it be ironic if when one uses the 'ignore' button, instead of you ignoring a player, the world ignores you! You go from Open Online gameplay to Single Player Online! I guess that would "fix" some of those exploits... lol

BillRoy likes this.
  17. Jessika

Jessika Avatar

Either you are joking or trolling now.

You don't think it's all possible in this game? Are you new to online Gaming? With your statement you are telling us that online harrassment is not possible...Give me a sec....

/deep laugh

Ok, sorry...I appologize but Online harrassment has been rampant in ALL MMOs since they ALL started. <--FACT

Conflict based on PvP.

It has happened to me more than once in a game called "World of Warcraft" and I assure you it IS possible. People DO need to be handled via control of who gets to interact with them and who does not.

I'll give you an example of online Harrassment that you do not believe is possible:
    I follow you around and do not stop whispering you: "Hello...Want to be my GF/BF?"....keep doing this for 30 mins without the possibility of putting the person (Handling) on Ignore since that feature does not exist.

What would you do?

The Defense rests your Honor....

PS. I color coded matching responses. :)

BillRoy and AndiZ275 like this.
  18. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

For the sake of clarification, this thread has been redefined as a discussion of the ignore feature in a non-PvP environment, correct? I ask because after reading pages and pages about PvP and the ignore button, I'm a little confused. If one enters a PvP environment with any type of ignore feature available, they'll be able to just block anyone who beats them. If one seeks this degree of control over who they fight, they may as well stick to dueling (the real hardcore PvP [there, I said it]).

BillRoy likes this.
  19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

My friend, this thread was origionally about stalkers and trolls abusing and harassing innocent victoms, it was about silencing and getting rid of people who's "game" is to ruin other persons gaming experience.
    It was never about PvP.

It was hi-jacked by persons who obtusely wish to make the topic about themselves and thier desires, and who don't care about or have the respect for others or the real concerns that affect others.

20. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

100%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.