The Shield Tree needs an overhaul...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Alcedes, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

So, I know this proposed Tree I have put together is not by any means "perfect" or even close to it, but I do think it would be much more useful and MUCH more fun than the one we have.

Please be helpful with your feedback and by all means, add your OWN creativity to this. I am happy to amend my idea with your own, superior ideas.

My ultimate goal here though, is to change "shield using" into its own unique combat style. The decreased Fizzle cost of the shields will expand build options, while the increased casting times will discourage shield mage abuse.

However, there is ample room left for balancing a little extra cast time for a bit of extra defenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, REMOVE THE FIZZLE rate from shields or at least dramatically reduce it
    We are over using the fizzle mechanic already and increased casting times will produce
    more interrupts.

Also, I know my "min_weapon_damage" and "max_weapon_damage" modifers are too high. but i just wanted to give "scope" to how the different shield strikes should do more damage

New Shield Tree / Mechanics Propsal

Tier 1 - Shield Mastery (Passive)
    Raising this skill will increase your base chance to block
    at the cost of concentration
    +(Skill_Level/5) Base Block Chance (Roughly 20% Avoidance at GM)
    -(Skill_Level/33) Casting Speed (Roughly +3s added to casting times at GM)

Tier 2 - Deflect (Active Buff)
    Increase Shield Block and Shield Effectiveness for a time
    +(Skill_Level%) of (Base Block Bonus) (The higher your shield mastery, the better this works)
    +(Skill_Level%) Damage Resistance of equipped Shield
    Effect lasts for (Skill_Level * 1.5) seconds

Tier 2 - Staggering Defenses (Passive)
    There is no give in your guard. Upon a successful block the attacker may experience
    a numbing sensation, slowing their attacks for a time.
    +(Skill_Level/10 + Str/25) Chance of slowing the attackers attack speed by (Skill_Level/3) for
    (Skill_Level/5) seconds.

Tier 3 - Shield Bash (Attack)
    A powerful blow to the head, dazing your opponent and preventing spellcasting for a time
    Deal between (1.5x min_weapon_damage) and (2x max_weapon_damage), 2x Hate Generated
    +(Skill_Level%) chance to prevent spellcasting for (Skill_Level/33 + 1) seconds.
    If target was already casting a spell:
    +(Skill_Level%) chance to prevent spellcasting for (Skill_Level/20 + 3) seconds.

Tier 3 - Block and Counter (Stance)
    You enter a defensive stance. Attempting any other action, including attacking
    will remove this stance. Upon a successful block or parry, you will riposte.
    +(Skill_Level%) of (Base Block Bonus/2) (The higher your shield mastery, the better this works)
    +(Skill_Level/5) Damage Resistance
    Riposte Damage: (1.5x min_weapon_damage) to (2x max_weapon_damage), Damage does not generate hate.

Tier 3 - Shield Rush (Attack)
    Charge towards your target, shield first dealing damage and knocking your target to the ground.
    +(Skill_Level%) chance to knock target to the ground for (Skill_Level/25) seconds
    Deal (1.5x min_weapon_damage) to (max_weapon_damage), 2x Hate generated

Tier 3 - Shield Preservation (Passive)
    Shield durability damage reduced

Tier 4 - Unyielding Resolve
    You simply refuse to die!
    +(Skill_Level/4)% Base_HP
    Hate Generation increased by (Skill_Level%)
    Effect lasts for (Skill_Level * 1.5) seconds

Tier 4 - Stalwart Defender (Passive)
    At the cost of further concentration, you are able to use your defensive knowledge to parry additional
    attacks!
    +(Skill_Level%) Base Block Chance is added to your Base Parry chance (Roughly 20% with GM Shield Mastery)
    -(Skill_Level/50) Casting Speed (Roughly +2s added to casting times at GM)

Tier 5 - Shield Shockwave (Attack)
    With all of your might, you slam your shield into your target doing heavy damage to them and causing
    a shockwave which does moderate damage to enemies within range.
    Deal (2x min_weapon_damage) to (3x max_weapon_damage) to target
    Deal (min_weapon_damage) to (max_weapon_damage) to all targets within range of the shockwave
    Increase aggro on all targets by 75 (Same as Taunt, but AoE)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

OOH! Shield AOE.. that would be cool!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

4. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

No thanks. I like the shield mechanics how they are.

5. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

i certainly respect your opinion but disagree with it strongly. The current shield mechanics are overly welcoming to mages and blatantly hostile towards melee. This needs to change.

6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

certainly intresting and I agree on your points. however I would have to redo my whole character!

I'm good with that tho its early access after all ^^

7. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

lol, im assuming you are a shield mage then..and you wouldnt have to redo your "whole character". you would probably want to dump your shield skills tho as the increased cast time would likely not be very mage friendly.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Yeah well I decide my skills depending on the character I have in mind sort of so would be a bit more than that :p
    but like I said that's personal preference and I really don't mind training new skills :D it's sorta the only thing I'm doing

PS I would love a complete wipe but don't tell anyone they might get angry and form a mob :eek:

9. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

I have been saying this for a LOOOONG time. I would really, really, REALLY, love it if we did a Skill and XP wipe 60-90 days before official launch. As it is going, we are all going to have a 12-18 month head start on newcomers and I kinda feel like it is a bit excessive.

Considering that is extremely unlikely, i hope Portalarium will give new players a x4 XP bonus up to like level 60 or 70.

But thats another thread

10. Mum47

Mum47 Avatar

Nice work Alcedes, love the aoe taunt!
    Be nice to keep aggro without having to be highest dps and the much need aggro generation would fix that.
    Imo shields should be geared towards tanking as far as skills, passives for the added defense.

Mages don't need shields, they have death tree!

11. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

Ya, the AoE taunt would be great. that is a lot of the idea behind the tree. If you look at the various attacks they all produce enhanced threat as if the attack did more damage than it really did. And of course the buff, which also increase hate generation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.