Shroud of the Avatar needs a complete website overhaul...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retro, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro

Retro Avatar

Guys, can you fix the website please! I really believe it will pay off in funding and interest in the game if you guys put more resources into the website. It's good for business.

Some examples:
    1.) The general design looks dated.
    2.) You can only order 1 add-on at a time. (This is horrible design, I bet a lot of people say they will return to purchase additional items and never do, you need a "checkout cart" system. never make it hard to spend on your site...)
    3.) Store pictures need to link to a gallery of the item, finding the pictures in the 'updates' section is tedious, and the small picture in the store is annoying.
    4.) The picture and media galleries need to be updated with the pictures in the "updates" section more often (read: immediately) and more categories are needed such as: Housing/Basements(normal and founder), Store Items, Progress Videos, Fan Videos, Scene Jam, Interviews. (sort everything!)
    5.) All of the story pieces that have been released so far need their own prominent section on the main page i.e squeezed in between 'About' and 'Community' there needs to be a 'Story' section. Post the story pieces here in *reading order* not release order like how they are in the 'Updates' section. Trying to find and read all the story pieces that have been released so far is really tedious.
    6.) No spell check in the forums?

I can think of many more...as I'm sure others can too.

Design:
    Not to copy SC, but I think a scrolling banner with updates works better.
    Right now on the scrolling banner (if you had one) you should your weekly updates (all with their on banner links) and the 6 month progress video.

I am not blaming whoever maintains the site now, I am assuming this is more or a resource and 'perceived' priority issue. I really think you guys need to hire another full time web developer and a full time designer (or outsource the web design)

I'm sorry if a thread like this already exists, I didn't search, was frustrated when trying to buy add-ons and it was taking forever b\c I had to do it 1 at a time...(and you missed out on two sales, b\c I got annoyed with the process)

Please consider the website an important item, I really want this game to be a success, it's most major marketing tool is in poor shape and in some ways broken. Love you guys but it needs to be said.

LeosTemplar, eon, Xandra7 and 19 others like this.
  2. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

doesn't sound at all like a complete overhaul. sounds like a handful of issues that probably should be addressed. not sure that would have priority over actually making the game though.

Atlaua likes this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Agreed... I'd say that's a post beta issue... website should basically be ignored until there is more static game information... the game is so early and stuff is changing so frequently that the time and effort is probably better spent there. It works for now so lets just let it go... and I don't know anyone who said they didn't make the second purchase from the add-on store... several have complained but I don't know if there is a case that someone actually didn't purchase multiple items who would have due to 30 extra seconds of work.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

As a web developer, I agree.

LeosTemplar likes this.
  5. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

Let me grab 10 of the new pick axes for my family and friends

Step 1: Scroll to to bottom of the Add On Page
    Step 2: Select Payment Method
    Step 3: Click "Grab Add-Ons"
    Step 4: Type in First Name and Last Name
    Step 5: Select Item to buy
    Step 6: Click Continue
    Step 7: Wait for PayPal Site to load
    Step 8: Type in User Name and Password for Paypal
    Step 9: Wait for Page to load
    Step 10: Click Continue
    Step 11: Wait for SoTA page to load
    Step 12: Click Confirm
    Step 13: Click Store Addons
    Step14: Scroll to the bottom of the Add On Page.............................

I for one would have spent a few hundred more this weekend if the system was easier. Maybe I'm wrong but making it easier to spend our money should be priority one. I'm ready to spend more, maybe much more but I'm not going to with the system as it is. From the way the marketing strategy seems to be, I am probably better off waiting anyway.

Erth, smack, Retro and 3 others like this.
  6. Retro

Retro Avatar

Think about the bigger picture, Funding makes the game possible, the website drives funding the game, the website is inefficient at funding, not userfriendly or visually exciting, this threatens funding, thus making the game...it's all connected and the most imporatant part (sad but true) is money. This is going to be a 5 part game, spend a little up front and secure the games' future.

Again website content wise they are doing great, it's more about the delivery, polish and lost marketing potential, it really needs work badly, I bet they have turned a lot of potential backers away, just by the amatureish (sorry) look of the website, where now they will have to try to win them back after launch.

I can't believe there are still Village lots avaiable in the store after all this time and 2 price reductions, this worries me and I think it has alot to do with how the website is presenting the game to the world.

This is a case of spend money to make money. Fix the site, have an exciting relaunch or somthing...

I don't really want to keep bringing up SC, but a huge part of their success in funding is their website, I honestly think SotA is releasing just as much content to the public, SC is just doing it in a MUCH slicker package.

Erth, Kilhwch, smack and 1 other person like this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Isn't SC in a beta phase not pre-alpha? I haven't done more than watch a video on it some time ago... simply have lost interest in other games waiting on this one... It's nice to have someone challenge the close minded like myself who have decided on something no matter what. I still think the focus should be primarily on the game at this point as it is so early. I think it's a great reminder that the package is nearly always as imporant as the contents when it comes to the warm fuzzy feelings. Content keeps us for the long haul but the package is what gets us in the first place.

Consider this: I personally could care less about the package because I'm admittedly a fan of LB's work so I'm here either way. If I wasn't a husband and father of 3 I would likely be a Baron not a Edlemann likely stopping around knight. We each have priorities that drive us and mine is my family. I understand a balance so I spend money on things that make me happy. If I was always unhappy my family would likely have a lower moral and I would likely die at a younger age.

That same warped understanding of priorities could be applied to this game. Yes the package is important but the main priority here needs to remain the product. I think that this is very early and the functionality provided will be increased. I'm sure the website will get an overhaul and I'm sure they'll have the people you ask for... at some point. It might even happen "soon" ;)

8. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

excuse me coder, but what is more important then raising money to produce the game?

Or do you want LB to get a producer?

Sanctius and NirAntae like this.
  9. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

yes raising funds is of course very important and not I don't want RG to get an outside publisher. and... I'm not sure the web site needs a complete overhaul, though I'm sure ongoing improvements here and there would be worthwhile.

10. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I agree with the op but I would call them minor adjustments to help raise more moolah for shroud.

I do really miss a simple spell check though:)

LeosTemplar and Time Lord like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

the village lots are alot of money to alot of us especially if we already sunk cash into game, have to buy lot then spend another hundred on a house, its a little expensive for a game thats not even out yet! (that is the way i looked at it) i have other things like family and bills id rather sink 300 dollars into! Yes the website need updating and the add on is a pain in the other term for donkey! You should send Portalarium a resume with your skills and see if they hire you or not! It would be nice to navagate easier in the webpage, and god knows i can use spell check in the forums!

LeosTemplar likes this.
  12. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Have to agree with the OP, the web design work is not really up to a commercial standard. Not trying to dis the web designer but it feels like this is not his Primary skill set. would be nice to get a skilled Web person to rework most of it. Again really not trying to disrespect anyones work, just trying to give an honest appraisal.

Kuno likes this.
  13. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

I also agree that the web site needs a facelift and i think it's a major issue. When you are "selling" your product solely online, the web store or similar must be as attractive and user friendly as possible. Generally speaking directing traffic to your site is difficult and the amount of visitor actually buying a product is somewhere between 1-3%. The attention span of people today is very low and if you cannot do what you intended relatively fast and without great effort, people are likely to leave and never return (early innovators and fans excluded).

As i have no love for the addon store, i'd love to see a polished promotional site up. I understand there is not so much hard facts to give out yet but i think it's not a reason not to make a good promotional site. Yes it's going to cost but i believe the return on that would be adequate.

Kuno, Retro and jamco12 like this.
  14. Lenvi

Lenvi Avatar

I agree that the website should be a little more polished - the current combination of colors and textures is just not harmonious for me. And I think its important - a lot of people equal professional webdesign with professional design of the product and hence are more/less likely to buy it.

15. dahak

dahak Avatar

Sorry to be another debbie downer... but, this thread speaks to my frustration with the site. Slogged through 8 add-on purchases was quite painful, I kept expecting either paypal or my bank would block me with a fraud alert check... :eek:

I continue to be surprized and admittedly even a bit concerned by the low amount of money that has been raised since the kick ass kickstarter era. There has been a lot of information flow, but it does seem to mainly be reaching the existing backers. There is so many little tidbits of information scattered throughout all of the updates that it's getting to be a bit much to expect anyone new to wade through it all to figure out what the heck this is all about.

I'm hopeful, as we head into the next 4 phases, that with more progress more people will get excited enough to come on board for the ride. I want their experience to be easier and tuning up the website would help that.

I don't like sounding so negative, I really love being along for this journey, I want to see this vision come to life and flourish for many years to come.

Kuno, jamco12 and Sanctius like this.
  16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Adding a shopping cart so you don't have to go through multiple transactions to get multiple items is an example of a needed improvement to the site. But it doesn't represent a complete overhaul. Just a tweak which would make things much easier.

17. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I

I have to agree with the Op.. Right now the website is the only constant for us and new people that come along.. Its not horrible but if its all we got i would like it to be more functional.. I have no idea what would be involved time wise but maybe the community could help.
    Dame Lori comes to mind.. Just my. 2 cents..

Retro and Kuno Brauer like this.
  18. Night Fury

Night Fury Avatar

The Op has a point. The lack of a shopping cart and information flow is actually very painful.

In a hurry and forget to login? Ahhhh! I click on "Store"/ADD-ONS, scroll to the bottom (long trip) and click "Log in to Grab Add-Ons". I login.
    What the hell, I just landed on the "Updates" page. It doesn't take large sums of money to review your site and test the customer experience
    during navigation.

Shopping cart setup is another item that does not require huge sums of cash or difficult to find development. Especiialy in an office full of
    programmers. GRIN!

These issues should not be subject to priorities. They are very basic.

I should not have to work to pledge one dollar or thousands of dollars.

Take care.

Kuno, Retro and jamco12 like this.
  19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well there's also some kind of issue between IE11 and the current forum software. Supposedly there's an update for it.

20. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

I agree. This site looks extremely dated compared to others. Doesn't bother me personally that much, but I can see how some would be turned off by the bare bones of it all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.