Shroud of the Avatar needs a complete website overhaul...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retro, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I think the website could be a bit more appealing but overall it's pretty good. My friend recently submitted a tweaked background to be used on the website and I hope they end up using it because I feel like it looks a lot better. I kind of feel like they should also kill off the black bar on the top and try and make the whole site a bit less word pressy. I have a site powered by blogger but unless you look close you can't tell since I hid some of the elements. http://www.tehubermicro.com/ please note my site is very basic and I think it could use an over hall it's self lol. But yeah just thought I'd throw this image up and see what you guys thought about it.

[​IMG]

BillRoy likes this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I like it.

3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Wait...am I missing something, the background image is just darker. Are there other changed you made that I just don't notice?
    Personally I prefer the color scheme on the home page as it currently stands. Each person has different tastes, some tend to the lighter shades...some to the darker shades. There is a whole psychology behind that and web designers use that to attract or detract visitors to their sites.
    But I digress, the change you have made makes me think of a different type of game...more of an FPS. The contrast between the text content areas and the background is too sharp a change and tends to hurt the eye.

Just my thoughts, don't shoot me :)

4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just to throw something out there. I have been on a lot of Kickstarters and I can say that SOTA put up a very functional website very fast. Many KS projects never even got a website at all let alone all the fancy things like gifting, referrals, payment plans, etc. I can agree some UI love would help specifically the store interface, but this is something that needed to roll out quickly: probably with little time to prepare a strategy. Once all the complicated stuff like tier levels, etc are not needed anymore, and the store simplifies and the game is further along, then I am sure many of the issues mentioned will be addressed.

Overall, the SOTA website does its job and is pretty functional. The SpaceVenture guys use WP and their system/process just to view the special blog is awful. The Tex Murphy site has like 3 different usernames and password sets you have to remember. We funded a game not a website. Sure some improvements may help ease the pain of new backers, but sometimes you don't want to grow too fast before you are ready for it. Once more time and resources can be given to the site I am sure it will get better, but right now these guys are trying to get us an alpha.

rild, tphilipp, monxter and 2 others like this.
  5. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Done :)
    And thanks for pointing that out. Obviously, not as important than the cart for the add-on store, but that was a quick one I was able to squeeze in, in between other tasks.
    If you want to edit your profile now, use the 'Edit Profile' link on the account page.

rild, NirAntae, Fireangel and 4 others like this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I would recommend having the "If you want to edit your profile now, use the 'Edit Profile' link on the account page." in the blog update... many people don't hit the forums and they might want to change their passwords/avatars :)

7. tphilipp

Noted and done - see the FAQs

violation, Kuno Brauer, MagiK and 2 others like this.
  8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Very awesome thanks :) maybe we should have a poll for the background lol. But yeah I didn't make that someone else I know did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I made a new concept for a few small changes including removing the margin under the header and changing the background. My tweaked backgrounds can be found here (http://i.imgur.com/hR6S1xk.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DTrjPok.jpg). I made two different versions one has a bit more detail than the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wsye likes this.
  10. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I like the first one, the deeper darker cracks tend to attract my attention away from the content.

11. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Well I'll be happy if they end up using either of them or liking my idea to change the header. I think it looks a lot nicer that way. My other idea if they didn't want to remove the margin under the header was to put a margin above it but I couldn't find a way to do that with my tools.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Kuno Brauer and Miracle Dragon like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Wow, that 8k number is pretty big. That's essentially 1/3 of the backers. Has that number held steady since the KS ended or has it been going down over time?

13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

From other KS project that is about right. You will have a lot of people that will not show up until the product launches.

MagiK likes this.
  14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

The time we can expect all manner of WT* conversations of people that did not pay attention until launch day. Fun times.

rild likes this.
  15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I don't see why you would pay money to back something and never link your account it takes two seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

16. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Some people really might just back a project at the bare minimum to help contribute to its success, but they really don't care about playing the game themselves. I know some people that do that, and because of that they never register their account because they won't play the game anyways. They just like to contribute to campaigns in a minimal amount to try and help them succeed.

Miracle Dragon and Umbrae like this.
  17. tphilipp

About 2 weeks after KS was over, we had about 14k still unlinked accounts. It dropped more or less consistently down to 8k over the following months.

Mordecai likes this.
  18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Well maybe more will link up once the Alpha is out. I wonder how many of those are under the amount needed to play the game though.

19. smack

smack Avatar

Thanks for that insight into the numbers, tphilipp! I hope with the upcoming Early Releases they'll start linking...and hopefully upgrading their pledges and taking advantage of cool items in the store :)

As those are all Kickstarter backers, almost all of them have access to the Early Releases. Only about 100 of them were in the Guilt Pledge.

20. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

True dat, BUT... ;)

If you want to cater to Europeans and North Americans alike, you could always use a payment gateay like for example: http://www.heidelpay.de/en/payment/
    Which is one of the biggest payment gateways in Germany and offer API integration, acceptance contracts with all major credit card providers, mobile payments, specialty payments like bank wire & direct debit through-out europe as well as all european debit cards (ATM cards).

PS: They can even accept Paypal through their gateway, so Portalarium would truly have everything out of one hand which makes accounting a breeze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.