To All Game Designers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blaquerogue, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

@DarkStarr , @Lum the Mad , @Lord British , @Chris

Hello Game Designers................

Here are some things I would like to see, I'm sure a lot of others would as well.........
    when pulled into a random encounter, it would be nice to be standing at the entrance of a cave, crypt or ruined city, have an actual dungeon you would have to go through with a variety of creatures and traps in it. The random encounters are extremely boring which is why most people just run out of it! There is nothing really worth fighting for in them!
    Put some sort of artifact (doesn't have to be major just something simple) that's worth the encounter, spice up the encounters with a variety of creatures that don't want you to get that artifact or special thing! Have an actual dungeon set up, a small one, doesn't have to be massive, add some secret passages in there, some traps and items you can snag along the way to deco your house with! Make it enjoyable. The random encounters are really not that good!

Something else you may want to look into is have some of the players on the forums here write you a quick story for those encounters, many of us are writers, Dungeon Masters, or just creative enough to write short encounters that could be turned into these random encounters. This would give us as the community some sort of ownership of our game (see that there that's my story!!!) How exciting that would be! It would ease some of the work for you as well.

Sincerely blaquerogue

( I have loved this game and hated this game and sometimes both at the same time, but guess what! I'm still here supporting!!!!!!!!!)

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

@Puuk as well welcome aboard!

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Puuk like this.
  3. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

By all means! Please put your ideas in this thread. There's absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your ideas around here. Can't wait to see them!

4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I'm hopeful with the July story/lore update, there will likely be more creative writing taking place to help bolster the world's stories.

It's been suggested before about having some more random encounters/story elements pop up in the world, so people have a chance to feel more involved.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I recently ran into some encounters and ended up surrounded by 'yellow' archers, first i ran and fleed, because they can take me down in seconds, but i made it behin a rock and they didnt follow me.
    I then pulled them one after another and was able to take the all down.
    I found a chests with some reagencies, gem fragments and one time a teleportscroll and the other time a obsidian copper - well that was good loot i said to me.
    I hope to have more often that Kind of Encounter. Surrounded by Thiefs which shoot at you when you move!!! Then it isnt boring anymore, but a kind of an ambush.
    Liked these two encounters very much!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It would be nice to see more variety in encounters, but they haven't yet gotten back around to working on them since getting the overworld encounter stuff working.

7. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

They really need to take something with the map encounters. Currently they are an annoyance. 2 loading screens separated by the time it takes to run to the exit. If there was a reward for doing them that was worth the time investment or even make them sought out that would be stellar.

I was hoping this is what the sieges would be but they decided to turn them into full group tuned encounters.

8. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

Its a work in progress.

The OP idea is good and could be something the current encounters are placeholders for.
    Personally I find them a useful bit of harvesting.

However I don't think making up an unending stream of story-driven mini-dungeons is that feasible.
    To generate them automatically inevitably means a degree of repetition. Or else an incredible amount of dev work.
    I think some repetition of layout is acceptable and there are enough different elements that can be combined to make each one a bit different.

9. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I love this. This idea would have fit better with the "random encounters" of olde, but now that we only have roving encounters, perhaps the "random encounter" concept could/should be revisited? I would not suggest bringing back the old suck-you-in-randomly style that folks found annoying. Instead, perhaps the "Enter" pop-up like we have for scenes could have a chance to pop up while traveling the overworld so you could choose to enter the "random encounter" or just keep on walking. "Something catches your attention and you decide to investigate". Kinda like we had in the early days of hexes for those that remember, just not always available. These should probably be exploration/you-got-the-jump-on'em style scenes and not ambushes like the roving encounters feel.

10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Another idea would be to have encounters that are stationary and visible like sieges, but that would pop up randomly at different places in the world. Like a big hole that opens up in the ground or an enemy camp or something. Some of the roving encounters that are in now make more sense as stationary anyway, like the skeletons that will chase you down on the map but are all just sleeping at their shrine when you zone in.

CrazyPhil likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.