Blocking the despicable PK *-p-o-l-l-*

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by CaptainJackSparrow, Dec 3, 2013.

?

Should I have the right to fully block another player for any reason?

1. * yes * I want the ability to block another player in full

41.3%
  2. * no * I should not have the ability to remove another player from my game in full

58.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Tactics for... what exactly? Your self-amusing little game of cat and mouse? Others might not want to participate in your 'war' and be subjected to your 'tactics'. Again, if the game is going to be a success no one single subgroup of players can be allowed to control resources or areas. People pay money and they want to experience the game.

If your 'tactics' are allowed to be enacted then there will be no other players. They will all quit (or never even buy the game) and move on to other games that are not controlled by the whims of the lawless player base.

It's happened before and it could happen again.

Gosh, I can't wait to get the new version of Trammel in game 2! :D

Lord Gréagóir and Arkhan like this.
  2. Ara

Ara Avatar

Seems we have different views entirely.

The game will loose more players if developers dont provide a hardcore PvP version of the game.

And self deafeating? If loads of player seek that gamestyle how can it be self defeating?

Since the game will have different options of gameplay i see no problem with having a hardcore PvP version of the game.

If it isnt your cup of tea then just dont play that game mode.

3. Ara

Ara Avatar

Then choose a game mode your comfortable with and let the ones that enjoy tactical game play and open PvP enjoy theirs.

4. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Wait, you are contradicting yourself. You are stating 'more players' want a hardcore version of PvP but you are concerned that these same hardcore players will voluntarily make their opponents vanish with a block feature?

Wouldn't that be the very definition of self-defeating in a PvP gamestyle?

BillRoy and Silent Strider like this.
  5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Agreed. Hopefully these arguments will help the dev team realize that there needs to be a distinct separation.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  6. Ara

Ara Avatar

Anyone having the opportunity to block players might use it, both hardcore PvP players and casual PvP players but the casual PvP players will use it more as i see it since they usually is the weaker part with less experience of PvP.

If you play competitive gaming you know that players use just about anything to get ahead and if removing a hard competitive player is an option they will use it to make themself look better/ get better rewards and risk less.

Cheats is just to common in today competitive gaming and if players go through so much trouble and even the risk of getting permanently banned from games then they will also use a block feature.

But if there isnt a block feature then it is hard using it.

7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think you will find that there are really no 'Hardcore PvP' games on the market that are a commercial success. All of them are fringe game that cater to an extremely small audience. The most successful are actually PvE games that have PvP servers with tight rules concerning PvP zones. There are plenty of homes for a 'hardcore PvP' player out there, but I hear they are cold and lonely places.... :'(

BillRoy likes this.
  8. Ara

Ara Avatar

And how many AAA developers have created a hardcore PvP games the last 10 years?

None.

So there isnt much to rely on when it comes to assumptions on wether such a game would be a success or a failure.

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

This discussion is about PKing though, not about competitive PvP. The distinction being that competitive players KNOW they are competing. I am all for blocking PKs, but if you enter a competitive PvP match, I don't think it would be possible to block anyone else who was also in that competition.

The discussion at hand is related to involuntary PvP and the blocking of those who inflict it on others.

You seem to be mixing up your arguments which is damaging your position....

BillRoy likes this.
  10. Ara

Ara Avatar

If the block feature is in the game how do the game decide who is a legal block and who isnt?

Anyway, i was talking about both PK:s and the competitive PvP players same time and i see nothing wrong to expand the discussion abit since i see it will affect both PK:s and competitive players.

11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'm not making assumptions.

Age of Conan - Funcom
    Aion - NCSoft
    Lineage 2 - NCSoft
    Warhammer Online - EA/Mythic
    Darkfall - Adventurine (okay, not AAA but still this was supposed to be THE HCPvP game).

Lots of fail going on there.

It's not the designers fault, it's the fact that the audience for these kinds of games is small. Usually folks try them out for a bit; dislike getting ganked and quit.

12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Nope, nothing wrong with expanding the discussion. The two types of PvP are very distinct. It's the difference between accepting a duel challenge and getting stabbed I the back and robbed.

I'm against the stabbed in the back and robbed kind of PvP.

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If you are for some reason "flagged" for pvp you shouldn't be able to block anyone. Too bad, but that keeps top players from getting blocked by good players. You should be able to block others if you are into RP and people are spoiling your RP experience. If you are talking about bad player behavior you should probably look at how League of Legends handled that. They did a big study and found a lot of ways to improve player to player interactions.

BillRoy likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You missed the point. It's a temporary measure until the offender is dealt with. It's like taking a pain killer until a wound heals. It doesn't heal you it just means you don't have to suffer while the problem still exists.

Anyway I'm not even done skimming through posts and I can see this is already becoming a typical PvP thread. I get the concern about blocking/PvP but really.. it's not like there won't be enough active PvPers to go kill.

BillRoy and skinned like this.
  15. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

So if people follow you around, hopping up and down at all times, throwing garbage at your feet, stealing your kills possibly, or just constantly chasing you around for no reason, you wouldn't mind, then? I'd imagine a person who hops up and down like he's on a pogostick alone would get extremely annoying and break immersion. Haven't you ever played WoW? It looks like every town is a moon room at chuck e cheese!

The answer I assume you will have for this is something like: "I will devise superior tactics to overcome them and kill them so they go away."

Cockroaches are resilient. Boredom breeds stupidity. You may very well find yourself in a situation where someone better than you is just prancing around beating you senseless because hes got an hour to kill and he's bored.

I think, if you are using something as extreme as a block, you should probably have to have a reason entered, which is then reviewed by Portalarium staff. I also don't think blocks should be permanent. They should eventually drop off in the hopes that the person being a doof has mellowed out.

However, the PVP portion brings many details up that would need sorted out for it to make sense.

I think, you shouldn't be able to block someone who YOU have attacked. If you decide to smack someone and they smack back way harder and you have a bad time, that's your fault.

BillRoy likes this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

The only hardcore PvP game among those examples are Darkfall and it was a indy company.

17. 2ez

2ez Avatar

Seems to be very valid points on both sides, been debating how I would go about it... I think Mute is key in any game but a full out block seems like it could ruin the game play. With no guidelines on who or why you can block someone. I saw a few posts say not just for pking but annoying actions... Instead of a block could you just not report someone for grieving and ruining your game play? A block seems much harder to implement and seems like it could be abused in itself so why not just report and have a jail type system setup much like UO? Just my thought...

18. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You should read the descriptions on their homepages....

Edit: or just google 'Top 10 Hardcore PvP MMO's' They are all on the list

BillRoy likes this.
  19. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Reporting can take awhile. While you wait for that to come to fruition, you could still have Pogostick Man bouncing around ruining your time you've set aside to play.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There hasn't been selective multi-player before either.

BillRoy and Ned888 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.