Elementals suck

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by zoomba1953, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoomba1953

zoomba1953 Avatar

I dunno for others then Fire ele But my Fire ele damage is like ??? If you to give players a Ele pet to fight with at least make it that it do significant damage I am fairly new in game and spend time to level the Fire ele and when i fight with him the damage are so little i feel i lost my time and XP leveling it

2. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

I've made a few posts about this when @Chris was doing the pet rework.
    They gave the pets more hp, but the damage never changed.

Even with a lvl 90 'adv lvl' and a lvl 100 skilled summon. the pet does the same damage as a lvl 10 adv and lvl 1 pet.

Poor design or oversight?

Please help me get a response on this. Pet damage should scale ;)

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its a balancing thing. I will elaborate what I have heard them say over the past year.

I think everyone still agrees that they need a few more dev pass's (iterations) on them.

Elemental pets are just one skill glyph of the hundreds in game. Everyone pretty much has access to them since they exist in most major magic trees. The pet is meant to be basically a minor compliment to your char, not take over the whole character. For example, I have almost 1000 attunemnt in Earth so Im already cracking mobs for 300 hp crits with stone arrow, having a super high attuned Earth elemental would be really unbalancing. Add to that many other variables that existed when they broke the taming tree which was that lvl 10 players could buy the best pet in the game and just go into a heavy 5 skull spawn area and the pet just rolls everything for free xp. The only solution to buffing up a pet would be to start enabling extreme debuffing of your toon to make that pet useful which I think overall would be really unpopular and they dont want to go that route. So for now, its more of a novelty item. Simply put, this game is just not designed for pets and its hard to actually get them in a useful way.

So my 1000 Earth attun would cast me a bad arss earth elemental but completely nurf my whole earth tree.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I use the Wisp for Roleplay Reasons.

If they would do more damage, the would be like Bots clearing low level areas for you.
    But wait, that would maybe be cool to sit at the NPC Campfire in Mariah Overlook and let the summons protect you against some Elves :D

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its kind of interesting to think about how elemental mechanics can be enhanced or extended.

So for instance, I think it would be neat if elementals were an exception to the 'one pet' rule, and you could duplicate copies of them depending on your skill level. However, it could also work like in Shadowrun, where if you lack the skill and power, elementals could get loose and turn wild, and attack you. Sort of like how in the Chaos school, we have Summon Daemon and Control Daemon. I would attach control ability to a passive skill in this case, though, or to attunement. Seeing elementals in different sizes would also be neat. Like "baby" fire elementals, and then they could grow in size. Would also be nice to see more synergy between the elemental and the mage summoning it.

Summoning elementals outside your school is also an interesting mechanic, which you can do with Juxtapose. It'll be interesting to see how this can be taken advantage of once more combos and synergistic effects between schools come in the game.

6. Putzaroo

Putzaroo Avatar

Seems such a shame that so much gets invested into the trees to have a useless glyph as a capstone. And the quests involved in getting the capstone being so difficult...

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's not useless, it's a good distraction/delayer.

8. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I only have level 74 summoning but my Phoenix does do "some" damage. Enough that if I'm fighting multiple monsters it will often pull one of them off of me giving a bit of assistance. Not exactly like my obsidian bear that I had before dropping taming, however.

9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

So far out of all the summon Elementals i have the water is the best. Still dinking with the newly learned Ice Ele. But my fav so far is water. She does a better job of distracting and pulling aggro than the others and she backs me up on heals as well. Wish there was a list of the things they do though. Would be nice to know what to expect exactly from the elementals when they fight. I know a few of them but not for sure what they are capable of.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol and this is the balanced re work!

Just wait till taming kicks you in the balls about how useless it is and doesnt scale.

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is why I"m keeping my Tame Creature skill at 20 just to have access to some 2nd tier level skills. Better just to buy your pets from a player vendor and save those skill points for some other tree that does scale.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Tristan J.

Tristan J. Avatar

Devs this is a huge problem an we can't just have skills for role-playing, damage should scale to an extent maybe in tiny increments and then the elementals need to have different roles as so they dont disrupt the balance of the game.
    Make them support summons so that they play as a companion and not as a mob killer. Suggestions,
    Water Supports Avatar by: Heals, Increases Water attunment, increased fire res.
    Fire Supports Avatar by: Damge over time, Fire attunment, increased water res.
    Earth Supports Avatar by: Slow/Root, Earth attunment, increased damage absorption.
    Air Supports Avatar by: Gust, Air attunment, increased dodge rate
    Death Supports Avatar by: Debuffs enemies

13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol I thought this post was going to talk about how OP water elementals are with their current limitless focus and 100+ healing capability. So far I only use a Wisp as a "pet" (good 'ol Willy the Wisp). Does Willy actually do anything when he debuffs? Maybe, but not enough that I actually notice lol. :)

Moiseyev Trueden and Numa like this.
  14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Pet damage should scale AFAIK. I don't think the eles are working as intended. Looks like Chris scaled up the hps but not the damage.

Maybe file a bug report? Sometimes that seems like a better route when things don't appear to be working in a fashion that makes good gaming sense.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

This has been a problem I've been VERY vocal about since launch. I enjoy playing summoners, I rushed the summoning skills (I could create all of them through chaos magic combos), and was PROFOUNDLY disappointed at how completely useless they were.

I pointed out, NUMEROUS TIMES, how effectiveness wasn't taking hold on anything but death pets (because death tree has a separate passive that applies it). Got lots of lip service, zero action. IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR. WHY ARE SOME OF THE FURTHEST-AWAY SKILLS TO ACQUIRE IN THIS GAME STILL COMPLETELY USELESS?

How many recent posts by Chris on this? Fixes? Promises? You fixed the HP but not the damage? Seriously? How did you screw that up?

The best part? The game launched with one of the most broken things I've ever seen in an MMORPG - the taming tree and how PROFOUNDLY and OBVIOUSLY broken it was, allowing characters with minimal investment to utilize pets that were RIDICULOUSLY powerful at the time. Persistence started with this, and it was exploited by anyone with a brain to farm what they could while it lasted - it was exploited, but it certainly wasn't an exploit - it was a game mechanic that was obviously WAY stronger that it should've been with minimal requirements for utilization.

TL : DR

The last skill in many trees isn't worth getting. Summoners aren't viable. The game launched with game-breaking pet mechanics. The promises of it being fixed have taken over a year, and ultimately accomplished absolutely nothing.

I need to ask a serious question. What is the problem here? Either tell us its a low priority, give us a way to refund the xp we've put into these beyond useless abilities, or FIX IT.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Careful what you ask for since this just give them a easy way out - fix the skill not - - -
    This is directly from past Launch Notes ; (( well damn since I copy over patch note all I can do is remember the jist of it))

Basically they said Taming has had a pass to make it more viable, if after this you do not like it you can untrain the skill for 100% return on exp.

That was the jist of the notes, and they have since just left taming and summons as complete and utter Junk.

I am going to beat this horse into sausage meat in R44 so pile on with info it you have it.

I just made a note the other day that a Water Ele at level 40 was doing same amount of damage as a Ice Ele at level 83 with 88 Water Attunement.

My FRS works well but yeah still can get one cheap and only need 82ish summoning to use - 100 Concentration and Combative is basically = to 20

17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ironically, the most useful elemental is the weakest - the Wisp. I've used it to farm reagents in random skeleton encounters. Having a degree of color blindness, it's very hard for me to distinguish mandrake & nightshade from the rest of the vegetation. I usually end up having more of these two plants after an adventure despite having to use some of it up for spells during fights.

Unfortunately, like the rest of its brethen the Wisp's debuffs (damage reduction, mesmerize & confusion) don't seem to scale up as it levels. It is also far too slow to use in a combat situation or practical harvesting especially in a large hostile environment.

Don't get me wrong - i love the Wisp and it's concept but it's a pale shadow of what it could be if the summoning trees & associated spells were done right.

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This why I named my wisp "Princess Helpme". She gets me into more trouble than I can handle sometimes. I hear it is pretty good for PvP though.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol I love my Willy the Wisp! He's a true companion :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.