Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOCMOHABT

KOCMOHABT Avatar

on offline game - help messages on floor/items from another players

Intruders in offline game

like in "Demon Souls"

2. Jothyn

Jothyn Avatar

Sorry it disturb but i was thinking about the on-line where you only meet chars around your level might be a small problem that is easily fixed when i first got on UO i was a newbee but i knew about vendors so i would talk to rl people that had their vendors out and some of these people were many levels above me Would be nice if all people that vendor could talk to the people they sell regs and other things too.like stopping at a cafe and the owner comes out to see if everything is ok and see if he had what you like or needed

3. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

Spell research. More details here: <a href="https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=spell-research-with-an-accompanied-skill-tree" title="Spell research">https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=spell-research-with-an-accompanied-skill-tree</a>

4. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

I hear Richard discussing on the developer chat about soft crafted items like a sword becoming worn and harder to repair over time thus requiring one to find a crafter to fix it.

My suggestion is that if the sword is one you discovered on a quest this sword may be legendary therefore a special means might be needed to repair it such as a ritual, special herbs or a spell that the player might need to find out about. Possibly you could find that visiting a special person or a special place is a requirement for success.

5. Zetinal

Zetinal Avatar

First off I just want to say... Old school UO players unite!!!!! It's so, so awesome to see all the UO love coming out of the woodwork.

The best part of UO for me was how easily you could get lost in the side activities and how little of a need for quests there was to keep you entertained. That said I would really like to see boats and treasure maps return! My friends and I would spend HOURS sailing around and treasure hunting.

Also, I hope there is a lot of consideration given to the creation (or lack thereof) of obnoxious special item like the neon items, hair dyes, etc. They are fun to an extent but the huge community of bank sitters and such in UO doing nothing but showing off how much they can make your eyes bleed grows old quickly :)

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

"My suggestion is that if the sword is one you discovered on a quest this sword may be legendary therefore a special means might be needed to repair it such as a ritual, special herbs or a spell that the player might need to find out about. Possibly you could find that visiting a special person or a special place is a requirement for success."

Love of gear is the root of all evil, and this is an expression of love of gear.

If everyone has a legendary weapon, no one has a legendary weapon. And if make it so that some people have legendary weapons and others do not and can never get them, for whatever reason, that is worse, so if anyone has a
    legendary weapon, legendary weapons have to be available for all, and we are back to no one having a legendary weapon.

Just make gear easy to get, easy to replace, and you avoid a lot of nonsense.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Hope to see U4-ish NPC style conversations. You have to say the right thing to progress a conversation. Opens up SO MUCH for hidden gems and hints to progress in the world around.

Digging for hidden things!! (like gems/quest item/other players have buried)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Lord Bruce

Lord Bruce Avatar

Now that I am "officially" titled by being knighted, I think it only appropriate my avatar's name should reflect my stature in society.

Those of us that have gained a title and village/town/city by pledging appropriate levels should be able (user controlled on or off) to put their avatar name in a proper title form, as follows.

@Title @AvatarName of @LocationName

where

@Title will be appropriate with pledge level - Sir, Lady, Honorable, etc.
    @AvatarName - pretty obvious - Bruce, Marlene, Pixy, Gilroy
    of - a literal
    @LocationName - the name of the village/town/city our property deed is located in

Feedback would be most appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Sir Bruce of Villageshire

9. Sword0fTheSpirit

Sword0fTheSpirit Avatar

I would like to see a guild ranking system of at least 5 ranks, and the ability to set what controls the individual members of the guild have (recruiting, removing members, changing the guild message, etc.)

I would also like to see a justice/crime system so that if people commit crimes such as stealing or murdering other player within view of an NPC or other players, they acquire crime points. After they have obtained a good number of crime points they become flagged for PvP bounty quests to come and kill them, and then once they have been killed they wake up in jail.

They remain in jail for a period of time determined by the number of crime points they obtained (20 minutes to 2 hours[max]). Or they can attempt to bribe their way out of jail by paying the guard a nominal fee (something that hurts a bit), or they could have their friends try to preform a jail break (whether by stealth, force, or perhaps the use of magic (invisibility, teleport, telekenisis etc.))

I also propose that if the evil character can avoid being caught for a few days (1 to 3[max] depending on number of points acquired) that the points will go away and the bounties will stop and the will be forgotten.

I also propose that there be NPC guards in town so if a wanted felon enters a town and is spotted they are engaged in combat.

I think this would make the experience of role-playing a thief or a PKer much more risky and challenging,.. and I believe challenge equals fun. Its a win/win for both sides...

This would create protection for people, should someone constantly rob and kill in a 'safe' area! It would remove the offending player for a brief moment to give other people being PKed a chance to accomplish their task. And I just think the whole jail break/bounty hunter stuff would be a lot of fun!!!

Think about it!

10. Javin

Javin Avatar

I absolutely LOVED the original, Vanilla UO before EA thrashed it. There are a number of things I would love to see return:

- Houses should be secured via a Key, just like UO, with various "lockable" methods of keeping players in certain areas of the house.
    - Death SHOULD have a penalty, unlike this crap in World of Warcraft. I loved that when you died, your body could be looted of virtually everything. Made for a very "polite" society.
    - I love that you can't tell someone's "skill" just by looking at them. Again, keeps things polite when you don't know who you're dealing with. (Again, unlike WoW.)
    - Like the "murder" count of UO, there should also be a "vulture" flag. Players looting objects they didn't kill would get a "vulture" flag and could in turn be attacked by bounty hunters.
    - Much like the original UO, players and NPCs should be nearly indistinguishable. One of my favorite pasttimes was to dress up like a wandering healer and wait for the PKs to try and kill me. :D

jondavis likes this.
  11. Javin

Javin Avatar

Oh! And the fishing! I loved fishing up the messages in a bottle, the decoding the treasure maps, and then getting a gang together to dig it up and battle it out with the monsters that spawned. That'd also be awesome to have back.

jondavis likes this.
  12. Javin

Javin Avatar

"As for caps, the best time I had as UO player was before they set a cap to the skills (about at the end of the Beta). Later on I was forced to have many characters, on four accounts, and training them took most of my time (had to train some skills many times, once for each character). "

I disagree. Without skill caps, soon every single person is just a clone of everyone else. You get into the game, grind all your skills to 100%, and get the "best" armor, and there's no difference between characters. The game would become boring overnight.

The skill caps are what made UO awesome. I was fully invested in my character, and if I wanted to switch from a "Ranger" to a "Veterinarian" I had to think hard about which skillset(s) to sacrifice in order to raise others. What's the point of having a healer, or a vet join your party if everyone can do everything?

jondavis likes this.
  13. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

I think we need a Taxidermy skill so I can have my hunting trophies stuffed and mounted.

jondavis likes this.
  14. Ewasil

Ewasil Avatar

*Mechanics
    - Mounts and mounted combat skills

- No goddamn world of warcraft epic mounts with glowing cristals flowing around the mount. If I'm riding a red dragon I want respect and not a seizure.

- What about magic? I haven't seen anything about magic. A system to make your own spells would be nice I guess.

- No super glowy jrpg and world of warcraft spell design.

- A bigger world. That island type from what I've seen so far looks way too artificial. Is there a northpole? A desert? Mountainrealms? Cities in the deep? Ancient kingdoms of witchcraft and wizardry? Islandkindoms with strange culture (and voodoo stuff).

- Not this further out view, just a gigantic world you wander around. Travelling to locations further away takes time, depending on how encumbered a character is and how encumbered his mount is.

- Gear and magical swag can be placed on several locations on a character, like wielding a buckler at the side of the hip instead wearing it on the back, where every shield is placed, just because it is a shield.

- I know this sounds wrong, but in every world with idealistic virtues you should always offer temptation: hookers, chances of becoming a bandit or pirate because it's easy money and whatsoever.

- Kindoms and intrigues in which characters can play a role or even take over the throne of a kingdom. Like in mount and blade, only better.

- Wars in which players can be part of massive multiplayer combats. Somewhat like in mount and blade.

- No Class system, just skills chosen at the beginning and improving throughout the game. Also no levels, just trained skills, wealth and reputation. They could be arranged in some sort of thee different skill trees from where you have to decide where to start (social in the middle, fighting on the right and magic on the left) and crossing over into other regions costs more points to improve.

- Wizards can enchant items and create magical things

- The option to block the road and collect taxes.

- Annoying jesters whom can be killed. Preferably a lot.

- Weird stuff randomly happening, like threats to the whole world some people stumble across and can open up quests for other people fighting these dangers of the lands of....whatever the name of the world is.

- Not just one kingdom. This is important, because there is need of conflict for many casual gamers.

- Customizable HUD. If someone doesn't want to see other player's names, they are not displayed.

- No weird sound effects.

- More lore for fanfiction.

- Puzzle dungeons with pits you have to use a rope to get across or something.

- In general implementation of rope to bind people and the ability to solve the knot and free oneself.

- Building lairs, dungeons and castles with NPC minions.

*Weapons:
    - Crossbows. Don't ask why.
    - Swords and a lot of em.
    - Quarterstaffs
    - Knives and the ability to throw them
    - Maces, a lot of em too.
    - Whips, useable with rope abilities.
    - Nets
    - Illusions of chasms or walls to confuse people intruding ones' dungeon.
    - Polearms, like tridents, spears, halbards and stuff.

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Mobile crafting
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=is-it-backwards-to-pay-for-housing

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Nastan

Nastan Avatar

The "lose it all in a flash" was Ultima Online's most standout feature to date. In a matter of moments, you could lose the keys to your house and all the possessions you were carrying just by wandering into dangerous ground. It made for a more exciting world.

I am hoping SOTA implements these values. The ability to lose everything you own at any moment.

jondavis likes this.
  17. Sarizaddi

Sarizaddi Avatar

I realized I forgot it, because I always do until it's in the game and not how I like it:

Body Art

--------------

Body Piercing - Even if restricted to a few places, there should be the ability to add a piercing. Some do it as a matter of tradition, some culture, some personal choice, some fashion. Individual piercings could be selectable, or embeddable to the character post-creation.

Piercing have literally been around since before written history. It is known that tribes and cultures, many of which never made contact with each other, develop the idea to pierce on their own and for different reasons. In some cases it was thought it would connect them to gods, others to protect them from demons, other as a testament of accomplishment, others a rite of passing. Where there is a place in religion, tradition, or culture, there is nearly always piercing, and eventually a mimic to such in fashion or punk culture.

To:

Nose (left or right or bridge or septum, one or all) see Indian, Hindu, and African Cultures, or punk fashion.

Eybrow (left or right, one or two, one or all) see punk culture

Lip (lower left right center, upper left right or center, one or all) See African, Aztec, Mayan (Pre-Columbian South American) Cultures

Ear (left or right, upper or lower or cuff, one or two, one or all, linked to a nose ring or mouth ring) see Egyptian, European, Tribal cultures [interesting note, many tribes believed demons could enter a body thru the ears, and piercings were to be a way to guard against possessions] African, Asian, and south American Cultures, or popular punk and fashion.

Navel Piercing (pierce, or with a dangling charm, or with wrap around waste chain) see Egyptian cultures, or current Punk or Fashion cultures.

--------

Tattoos

Again, tattoos have been around since before recorded history. Even before permanent dyes were found for skin, there were cultures that would practice ritual branding or burning, using colored sand to salt the wounds. That said, tattoos were never frivolous before current times, and sometimes had such an absolute place in culture. But even if by today's standards we have lost much of the reason for tattoos beyond fashion or punk culture, they very much did exist and should exist for role-playing reasons.

Tattoo had many purposes and kinds. In some instances, the tattoo was used to denote accomplishments. For others a rite of passing or a test of strength. Other cultures used it to as decoration for the body for people of particular sects, religions, occupations, or station in life. Some used them to denote identity, others ownership, and these occur in people as well as animals. Tribals cultures often used them for religious purposes. Sometimes a tattoo was as simple as a dot or a few dots (as found on mummified corpses as old as 6 B.C.), others heavily covered the body, as accounted in descriptions of many Germanic, Norse, and Celtic tribes.

The point is that to add realism to the game, there should certainly be some method of having tattoos. There not only should be a very large variety, availble as early as character creation, but also a chance to add them in some limited sense later in the game career. Some could even be worked into the story, as perhaps having to "join a tribe" as part of one quest, where a branding or tattoo is required by the tribals before they will accept you, or joining a certain faction or cultural or criminal agency requires a tattoo of denotation.

18. Jothyn

Jothyn Avatar

Back again would like to see a easy useable voice chat for people partied together In the same way would like to see crafters able to voice chat with the live people that stop and buy their stuff. An area voice chat used only in specific buildings like pubs and theaters that a player can rent or use to do a play, comedy, sing and play music even have a band and set it up so people coming in can choose to listen to the performers by clicking a voice chat area button. That would make the game very special and unigue for people

19. Teresa_81

Teresa_81 Avatar

i would like to see

-npc romances.

-player romances, fable 3 is a good example.

-dynamic content

-unique weapons

-mature content

-secret places

20. tahenyb

tahenyb Avatar

wouldnt it be cool for the reason it cost so much to fix up your broken blade is because each time it is used till its breaking point by fixing it up it becomes stronger and thats why it cost so much to repair it

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.